"I think I need to sacrifice myself to break the lethargy that overwhelms us"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fantassin, May 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A right leaning author who was known for his opposition to the islamisation of France and was against the recently passed gay marriage bill has committed suicide in the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris yesterday in order to "awaken consciences". He shot himself in the mouth will 1,500 people were in the church.

BBC Article:

"I think I need to sacrifice myself to break the lethargy that overwhelms us" - the parting words of Dominique Venner, a French far-right historian who shot himself on Tuesday afternoon, beside the altar of Notre Dame.

In his letter, read by a close friend on a Catholic radio station, he said it was an act in "defence of the traditional family" and in the "fight against illegal immigration".

The leader of the far-right National Front, Marine Le Pen, described it as an "eminently political gesture" from a man seeking to "re-awaken" his countrymen.

Mr Venner had a long history in far-right politics. He was jailed for his fascist sympathies in the early 60s, then a member of the Secret Army Organisation that opposed Algerian independence.

More recently he has been an outspoken critic of the government's bill on same sex marriage, which President Francois Hollande signed into law this weekend.

The 78-year-old said the bill was "vile".

BBC News - France reacts to Dominique Venner's shock 'gesture'

His suicide note: (Google translation)

I am healthy in body and mind, and I am filled with love for my wife and children. I love life and expect nothing beyond, if the perpetuation of my race and my mind. However, in the evening of this life, in front of huge dangers for my French and European country, I feel the duty to act as I have strength. I think I need to sacrifice myself to break the lethargy that plagues us. I offer the rest of my life with the intention of protest and foundation. I chose a highly symbolic place, the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris that I respect and admire, she was built by the genius of my ancestors in places of worship earlier, recalling our immemorial origins.

While many men are slaves of their lives, my gesture embodies an ethical will. I give death to awaken the slumbering consciences. I rebel against fate. I protest against poisons the soul and the individual against invasive desires that destroy our identity and anchors including family, the intimate base of our millenary civilization. While I defend the identity of all peoples' home, I also rebel against the crime of the replacement of our people.

The dominant discourse being incapable of coming out of its toxic ambiguities, the Europeans themselves should draw the conclusions. Since we do not have an identitarian religion we can refer to, we share, since Homer's time, a memory which is the repository of all the values ​​on which our future rebirth will be built, breaking out from the the metaphysics of the unlimited, the harmful source of all modern evils.

I apologize in advance to anyone who will suffer from my death, first and foremost to my wife, my children and grandchildren, as well as to my friends and followers. But once the shock of pain has receded, I do not doubt that the meaning of my gesture will appear and transcend their pain into pride. I hope those work together to last. They will find in my recent writings the foreshadowing and explanation of my actions.
  2. Haha. What a mong.
    • Like Like x 12
  3. So... his solution was to abandon his family and cause. Suicide is not heroic or meaningful...
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Marine LePen was in there fast and with 'an eminently political act' instead of 'an eminently stupid act'.

French right-wingers seem to have much the same mentality as jihadists when it comes to the use of human lives for political symbolism.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. It can be. In this case, it seems melodramatic at best.
  6. He was born in 1935.

He has seen the country he was born in and loved deeply transformed beyond comprehension by an out of control influx of foreigner importing their customs rather than adapting.

He was at the end of his tether (apparently he was severely ill) and had a long interest in Samurai and Mishima.

Put all that together and you end up with this final act.
  7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Suicide is all sorts of things to all sorts of people. It is rarely heroic. It is always meaningful. In this case it means one less French nut-job who thinks 'race' involves something more important than men in shorts running about the place.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. A trifle sacrilegious as well, wasn't it?
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Dominique Venner was also the editor of a history magazine.

This is the foreword he wrote in the January 2013 issue:

"To exist is to dedicate and devote yourself to something or someone. But dying is sometimes another way to exist. (...) Death is not only the drama it is said to be, except to those who sincerely mourn the deceased. It puts an end to the cruel disease and stops the decay of old age, giving place to new generations. Death can also be a liberation from an unbearable or dishonorable fate. In the form illustrated by the Samurai and the "old Romans", it may be the strongest protests against an indignity as a provocation (enticement) to hope. (...) "
  10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Er, how can I put this?

No it is not. It is ****ing dead. And you can dress it up in any old Rive Gauche situationist Paris Commune bollocks you want. It is still dead. A 78 year old geezer decided to check out by blowing his brains out in a church in front of a bunch of people including children.

He called it a blow for freedom. I call it a selfish old ****.
    • Like Like x 11
  11. Didn't a suicide spark off the arab spring?
  12. There is a big demonstration planned in Paris this Sunday against same sex marriage; Dominique Venner wanted the participants to go one step further and include other topics such as the islamisation of Europe on their agenda. He probably also hoped that the protest would go one step further, with more meaningful and radical actions.
  13. 'Kin 'ell, talk about bearing a grudge- we kicked the hun out for you nearly 70 years ago.
  14. Yeah, but we sorted that out on D-Day.

15. I take it in the context of your post, you would like that 'action' to include rioting, burning and general civil insurrection?

Do you forsee a potential 'French/European spring', I mean that nutter in Norway hoped for one as well, look where it got him.