I think i have shin splits! :@

Im not sure if this is the right place to post, but here it is anyways. When i walk i feel a slight ache in my shin its not pain just an ache, especially when i go up and down the stairs, i start my training at catterick just over a months time and its getting me worried, can i keep running with this and treat it aswel or will i need to take time off? cheers guys.

Have you tried the search option? There are literally hundreds of threads on this subject

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Forget the search option, try something more radical and left field - like seeking qualified medical advice.

I was hoping the OP would read all the relevant threads and get to that conclusion all by himself :D

Forget the search option, try something more radical and left field - like seeking qualified medical advice.
Better clarify it to avoid confusion.

Get to see your general practitioner or if theres a wait try and get a phone appointment or if there is a nearby walk in centre than even better go there.

Better to get medical intervention now than carry on, go to your training carrying an injury and break down in the first few weeks.

Better clarify it to avoid confusion.

Get to see your general practitioner or if theres a wait try and get a phone appointment or if there is a nearby walk in centre than even better go there.
I just dont want the doc to think my condition is worse than it is and tell me i shouldnt go for my training because their linked with the army :|

Better to get medical intervention now than carry on, go to your training carrying an injury and break down in the first few weeks.
I suppose your right, it would be damn right stupid if i dont get it treated and it f**ks me up later on, i best phone up for an appoinment now! cheers for advice

I just dont want the doc to think my condition is worse than it is and tell me i shouldnt go for my training because their linked with the army :|
Whats linked with the army ?

Best to be safe and get professional advice incase its something more serious and it seriously messes you up during training.

As Cabana says if they do block your training its not for shits and giggles on their part. Its because further exercise could increase the injury

If the doc says you can't do the training he is saying it for a reason, not for shits and giggles.
I strongly agree, but im not in pain or anything its just like aching when i walk. It's been like this for 4-5 days now though! maybe i should of tried applying ice on it, but i suppose the doc is the only person to give me the best advice.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Why oh why does everyone just have to have shin splints these days? I bet most of these self-diagnosing whiners think they've TB everytime they cough. See a GP the forum stethoscope is on leave.

Why oh why does everyone just have to have shin splints these days? I bet most of these self-diagnosing whiners think they've TB everytime they cough. See a GP the forum stethoscope is on leave.
Well, stupidly i took advice from somebody to run with weight on my back, and ever since my shin has been dodgy ..so i guess i over did it, now i feel a right twat!

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
This is going to sound like a wind-up but its not. I was training once and was wearing flat running shoes a lot. I got the same thing. A dull ache on the outside front of that big muscle up the shin. Mate of mine is a physio and I mentioned it. He thought it was going from wearing normal shoe heels to flat running shoe heels.

But as has been said, a Doc / good physio would be your best bet.

This is going to sound like a wind-up but its not. I was training once and was wearing flat running shoes a lot. I got the same thing. A dull ache on the outside front of that big muscle up the shin. Mate of mine is a physio and I mentioned it. He thought it was going from wearing normal shoe heels to flat running shoe heels.

But as has been said, a Doc / good physio would be your best bet.
yeah ive heard that too, boot ive got decentish running shoes, ive run lots and lots of times and never had any bother until i ran with that weight on my back, and ive just phoned up the doc's, every doctor is fully booked until monday, which is 5 days it takes the p*ss!

I got them about a year ago because I had the brilliant idea to run three miles in ugg boots. Don't ask what the motivation for such an endeavor was, but there was a purpose, before you write me off as a special!

Correction: Any more of a special.

I got them about a year ago because I had the brilliant idea to run three miles in ugg boots. Don't ask what the motivation for such an endeavor was, but there was a purpose, before you write me off as a special!

Correction: Any more of a special.
Hahaha, i admire your determination! :p must of been hurting your feet aswel as your shins in uggs lol

We all suffer from Shin Splints now and again when doing exercise, especially tabbing in my case. I always found that if I took it easy for a few days and stop running on hard surfaces helps. And I know this sounds abit queer, but if I have a bit of an ache in the shins in the shins after a hard graft I massage them in the bath, and rub the pain out. I'm no doctor, but this seems to help me, and I can crack back on with it. And (Touch wood) I havn't had to get downgraded for such injuries. But if the pain becomes unbearable where you can't run more that 500m without pain shooting down your leg, then yea I would seriously advise medical advice, because that certainly isn't right.