I Sense A Demotion Off The Starboard Bow!

Ritch

LE

Royal Navy captain 'smashes £100,000 hole in warship as he tries to dock it in the dark for the first time'.​

It's definitely not the first time a few holes have been smashed in our fine Navy but this one is a tad expensive.

HMS Chiddingfold was being docked by Lieutenant Commander Simon Reeves when it twice struck another warship causing damage to its plastic hull. The Hunt-class mine hunter suffered approximately £100,000 of damage and will take several months to repair.
Maybe stick the L plates on next time.

bob231

War Hero
Surprisingly easy with MCMs: the glass reinforced plastic hull is not particularly robust and does not like the jetty wall, metal ships, other ships' anchors and fittings...

Still going to be an uncomfortable Board of Inquiry!

Probably a promotion, rather than a demotion. Thats the usual form. All done very discreetly of course. Kick Him upstairs, where He can do no more harm to the ships. ;)

HMS Chiddingfold?

Whatever happened to names like Dauntless, Vengeance, Fearless, Battleaxe. Or my favourite HMS Warspite.

Next will be HMS Walmington-on-Sea

Time to recommission HMS Dainty?

If you want to set the cat amongst the pigeons - how about bringing back the gay class names for the T32

The left will eat itself - total meltdown

Gay - inclusive score a plus for the guardian and LGTBQ - but its on a shooty warship so now some one will declare it homphobic since it implies gays are violent

Feminists now outraged theres no HMS Lesbian and its Mysogony

Guardian also outraged (but on a differrent day to when they support it ) that by using the name gay its excluding Muslims and so now its Islamaphobic.

I would include Abbott and Lammy get out raged theres no HMS gay Black and cite it as an example of Racism white supremacy etc - but lets be honest if you did have a ship called HMS Gay Black - those 2 woud be outraged and cite it as an example of Racism white supremacy etc

And for fecks sake nobody suggest the Tribal class

Yokel

LE
Surprisingly easy with MCMs: the glass reinforced plastic hull is not particularly robust and does not like the jetty wall, metal ships, other ships' anchors and fittings...

Still going to be an uncomfortable Board of Inquiry!

Funny stuff Glass Reinforced Plastic - I was at Navy Days one year (it might have been 1991 as it was not too long after the Gulf War) when someone aboard an MCMV said that they had been near to a large underwater explosion in the Gulf.

Does the glass in GRP give it compressive strength, at the cost of brittleness?

If you want to set the cat amongst the pigeons - how about bringing back the gay class names for the T32

The left will eat itself - total meltdown

Gay - inclusive score a plus for the guardian and LGTBQ - but its on a shooty warship so now some one will declare it homphobic since it implies gays are violent

Feminists now outraged theres no HMS Lesbian and its Mysogony

Guardian also outraged (but on a differrent day to when they support it ) that by using the name gay its excluding Muslims and so now its Islamaphobic.

I would include Abbott and Lammy get out raged theres no HMS gay Black and cite it as an example of Racism white supremacy etc - but lets be honest if you did have a ship called HMS Gay Black - those 2 woud be outraged and cite it as an example of Racism white supremacy etc

And for fecks sake nobody suggest the Tribal class
1617785211360.png
We could redefine Albion and Bulwark LGBT Landing Gash Barge Tank

Better yet, just call it HMS Guardian and piss off the entire range of special interest groups. Make sure it’s carrying Trident.

bob231

War Hero
Funny stuff Glass Reinforced Plastic - I was at Navy Days one year (it might have been 1991 as it was not too long after the Gulf War) when someone aboard an MCMV said that they had been near to a large underwater explosion in the Gulf.

Does the glass in GRP give it compressive strength, at the cost of brittleness?
I honestly don't know.

However, I'd guess that it has more to do with GRP MCMVs being very light, and the blast wave just lofted it slightly. That and the craft are small, so you wouldn't get differential loading in the same way as a larger metal hull.

Also, it's not so much that GRP is brittle as that it can be quite easily torn. Different material structure and properties.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
GRP is non-magnetic and so is a big benefit for minehunting as some mines are designed to detect the ship's magnetic signature.

GRP is also surprisingly blast resistant. I spent several happy years blowing up pipelines and we found that metal stretches before failing, polypropylene shatters and GRP fails progressively as the fibres are pulled through the resin.

However, bumping 750 tons of ship into a concrete pier is going to put a hole in the hull regardless of construction.

bob231

War Hero
However, bumping 750 tons of ship into a concrete pier is going to put a hole in the hull regardless of construction.
Metal bends and dents, GRP tears. Plastic ships also don't have anything like the internal reinforcement (both different internal structure and different material properties).

Latest Threads