"I see a bad moon rising"...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Lady_H, Jun 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I see a bad moon rising, I see trouble on the way
    Michael Horsnell

Extra police officers are to be deployed on the streets this summer after research established a direct link between the full moon and violence.

Analysts at Sussex Police found a rise in unruly incidents at full moon while investigating external factors that influence people’s behaviour.

Together with the most common paydays, the full moon was identified as a particular time when aggressive behaviour rose among drinkers in pubs and nightclubs in Brighton and Hove, East Sussex.

Inspector Andy Parr said that he would like universities to examine further the link with the lunar cycle.

“I compared a graph of full moons and a graph of last year’s violent crimes and there is a trend,” he said. “I’d be interested in approaching the universities and seeing if any of their postgraduates would be interested in looking into it further. This could be helpful to us.”

Mr Parr admitted that the idea might sound fanciful, but he added: “There are many things we are still learning about. The Moon has a strong influence on tides and magnetic forces can influence people’s psyche.”

Scientific studies have identified the link between the full moon and extremes in human behaviour. In a recent paper, The Lunar Cycle: Effects on Human and Animal Behaviour and Physiology, Michal Zimecki, of the Polish Academy of Sciences, analysed studies that took into account lunar activity.

He claimed that a full moon could affect criminal activity and health, leading to an increase in crime and admissions to hospital. He said that the effects were so marked that it “may be helpful in police surveillance and medical practice”.

In 1998 a three-month psychological study of 1,200 inmates in the maximum security wing at Armley jail, Leeds, discovered a rise in violent incidents in the days before and after a full moon.

Superstitions involving the Moon can be traced back centuries. In the 17th century, Sir William Hale, the Chief Justice, was explicit about the connection between the Moon and a person’s mental state: “The Moon has great influence on all diseases of the brain, especially dementia.”

As well as madness, the full moon was associated with lycanthropy, in which a man becomes a werewolf.

People are also more likely to be or to feel ill. Research at Leeds University found that the number of requests for GP consultations rose by 3.6 per cent when the moon was full.

But for all the studies that claim to have found a link between the lunar cycle and human behaviour, no one has been able to explain it. Some believe that, as humans are mostly made of water, lunar gravity pulls us in the same way as it does the sea.

The next full moon is on June 30.

Lunar lunacy

— The Lunacy Act 1824 stated that people were liable to go mad when the moon was full

— Robert Graves was so in thrall to the mystical power of the Moon that he was known to bow to it

— The saying “The Moon is made of a greene cheese” – meaning not aged – is from John Heywood’s Proverbes (1546)

Source: Times database
  2. Grrrrrr woof!!
  3. Been a Taxi driver for about eight years now and I must say I agree with this.
    A full moon means the loonies are out in force and you have to watch who you are picking up.
  4. I used to be an analyst for Sussex Police, but I'm alright nowwwwooooooh
  5. “There are many things we are still learning about. The Moon has a strong influence on tides and magnetic forces can influence people’s psyche.”

You what? The moon has precisely f*ck all effect on 'magnetic forces', methinks he's thinking of the other big white glowy thing.... And somehow I doubt the Severn Bore makes people go ram-raiding.
  6. You meaner beauties of the night,
    That poorly satisfy our eyes
    More by your number than your light;
    You common people of the skies,
    What are you when the moon shall rise?
  7. so thats why i always get the urge to spontaneously maim, massacre and torture when its slightly lighter at 2am.

and i thought it was just because id drunk too much
  8. The moon has a magnetosphere which does indeed interact with the Earths own Magnetosphere.

If the energy of the magnetic field is dominant, its field lines keep their shapes and particle motion must conform to them; that is what happens in the radiation belts. On the other hand, if the energy of the particles is dominant--that is, if the field is weak and the particles dense--the motion of the particles is only slightly affected, whereas the field lines are bent and dragged to follow that motion.

Or to put it simply due to the effects of Solar wind, the moons magnetic field does affect the Earth.
  9. It all seems a bit far fetched though... (states the obvious) :roll:
  10. I didn't think the Moon had a global magnetic field. The Moon does have a sodium ion atmosphere however, which does interact (minutely) with the Solar wind, but if you're telling me you can detect it's effects from the Earth's surface with enough strength to affect your behaviour, I'm impressed :D
  11. On the contrary, scientists have discovered that individuals can be given savant like mathmatical capability by the utilisation of pulsing magnetic field around the temporal lobe area.

It is only reasonable to presume Chav like qualities can also be imparted by the effect of the Lunar magnetosphere.
  12. Evidence of a magnetically turbulent region above the lunar dayside is present. This region apparently exists when the moon is in the solar wind and is approximately 100 kms thick. Possible explanations for the presence of a dayside turbulent sheath are investigated and, to within the accuracy of the data, none can satisfactorily explain its presence.
  13. I'd rather blame it on booze and statistical fluctuations, personally.
  14. This is actually rather interesting, and may have something to do with the lunar 'dust fountains', seen by the Apollo astronauts. There exists a ~100 km thick dust 'atmosphere', caused by 0.1 micron sized regolith particles being electrostatically ejected from the lunar surface along the terminator. The dust particles carry a charge with them, ergo a magnetic field. It's not spread over the whole day side, just along the dawn terminator.

LRO and the flotilla of lunar missions over the next few years will tell all, I am sure.
  15. The long winter evenings just fly by don't they?