I saw two interesting things today

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ugly, Jun 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

In possibly the roughest part of Croydon, New Addington;
    [​IMG]

&

[​IMG]

Both seen here:

[​IMG]

Both nice to see even if one is touching!

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its probably a bit like Kabul or Basrah in bits of Croydon! Agreed though and nice to see that no one has defaced the memorial yet!

3. Croydon - Do you mind! Prime recruiting country for what was 1 Queen's. Wonderful place........... (or so I'm told - I never actually went there, you understand!)

4. Croydon - used to go there in the late 70s - place called the Van Dame Bar! Full of dead fit chicks, unfortunately we usually ended up fighting with the "funny people".

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

New Addington is also known as RAF Croydon!

6. So that's the 'not very tough' bit then?

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No Rough As Feck, as in west beiruit to Biggin Hill

8. Us Croydon types join up mostly because you get shot at LESS in the military. It was good someone took the guts to put the signs up (and spelt them right!) Sad to see one of them though.

9. Christ, 20 years old :cry: I was at uni in 1987 FFS!

Good to see that someone cares, though.

10. It would be interesting to see what would happen if someone did and they were caught.

Fair play to those in Croydon. I, for one, would not object to seeing more of this type of thing on roundabouts, rather than those banners saying "Frank Tosser is 50 today" or equivalent.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That said when I was 18 (1983) we lost a 19 year old. The pain fades slowly but hopefully the memories wont!

12. I used to go swimming at New Addington as a kid and it was quite smart if I remember rightly (60's). Also used to go to the old baths near Surrey Street market, they had 'slipper baths' and two pools that were shut as the had been bombed during the war. Summer fun was going to Purley Way Open Air Swimming Pool.

Good on them for remembering, it may be a rough place now but it clearly has a heart and soul.

13. On the age thing, I was at a funeral recently and took my time to look at some of the other nearby gravestones. One was for a young Private and his number started 30. THAT tells me how old I am and that I was leaving the army when this guy was only 5. It made me immensely sad to see a grave for someone who died so young in service.

14. I used to go there as well in the 80s. Jailbait City. One of the guys got arrested for associating with a 13yo (by all accounts she was well up for it) luckily when the news got back to Bordon the CSM ripped up the report. Brilliant days when we could all do things like that.
    :lol:

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its also known as 4X4 country, four kids by four different dads. Spread betting for the CSA money!
    Addington bangers, instant family, just add mug with money!