I require a rat knacking air rifle

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by TheIronDuke, Sep 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I would have posted this in 'Shooting Sports', but since Bad CO decided to marry the ex-wife of the Nigerian oil minister and move to Ingushetia to grow mushrooms, the whole job has got cattle trucked, you know?

Right. I need to shoot rats. The Vicar over the river is a dear chum but not worldly. Cant think why that might be, but there it is.

He has built a 'compostor'. Its a big green box that he throws kitchen waste into. He says it will save whales and penguins, and who am I to argue?

So we have rats. I wish to kill them with a gun and a .22 is out of the question on account of the road close by.

Anything that will do a rat from say, 50mtrs, is silent-ish and costs around 50 quid would be nice.

.22 or .177?

And before you start, no, I cant do the vicar. He is a chum.

2. From personal experience id recommend a .22 Gamo Shadowmatic. Excellent break barrel air rifle, up to the legal limit which is 12ft/lbs i think and has an 8 shot tubular magazine on top so no need to reload if one tries to run wounded. No idea how much they are now though

3. At 50 Metres? Maybe if your "chum" prays for divine intervention on your behalf....otherwise no fuckin' chance...poison the feckers!

4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

yerp, your going to have to get a damm'd site closer than 50m. If the "area" is a problem vis neighbours then the crossman ratcatcher is the dogs danglies. However its low powered ie sub 6lb foot. Crossman make some lovely extra heavy rat killing pellets for it though. Or you can swap the .22 barrel out for the .177 which you can load with 8 steell BB's so you get a scatter effect.

Or you can get something better. Get a CO2 rifle with a decent sight and suppressor and hide and shoot.

Best bet though talk to Biped.

5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, fair one. I was hoping clever science people would have invented something since the last time I shot an air rifle.

Say 20mtrs? They're rats. Its not like they have peripheral vision or night sights.

6. Don't let anyone know you're doing this or sooner or later word will reach the ears of the RSPCA. They live for cases like this and will go to great lengths to prosecute you for even the smallest clause. They have huge resources to take you to court and still collect donations to do it. Doesn't matter if you think it's a load of old cobblers, they WILL prosecute you. Vicar's permission or not.

7. And you visited planet Earth when?

8. Trap 'em or poison 'em..trust me..I've been missing Rats for years..if they need to be dead..and I think they do...traps and poison...

9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Absolute Bollocks.

10. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Wanna bet? They are canny wee sods, and very intelligent!

Aside from an air gat (which'll cost you a lot more than £50 to be fit for purpose - think £150+) have you considered the idea of a decent hunting Jack Russell? They are the absolute gonads for ratting, either that or getting a couple of outdoor living moggies would work.

Both of those will have a far higher kill rate than you and a rifle!

11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Especially if he combines the rifle with his other passion; home-brewing his own version of Purple Tin from bleach and anti-freeze.

12. I've walked this land for many a year, seen, heard and know of many a thing. It's called experience in some quarters. If you live in the UK and don't know about the RSPCA's love of taking people to court, the you should get someone to explain it to you.

It's even an offence to fire an air rifle within 50 feet of a public road, and the RSPCA have used that tiny clause before.

Their own report for 2009 shows 612 offenders cautioned, 1,153 offenders convicted, 1,174 other cases investigated and just 20 people got off.

96 people took their case to appeal and only 4 had their conviction squashed.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232721535439&mode=prd

The RSPCA have a particular dislike of air rifles because, for example, of all the cats and birds that get shot by juveniles and chavs.

But it's up to you, ignore this warning if you want to, it's a free country and all that....

13. Beginning of the year I was trying to kill rats attracted to the spill from a bird-feeder - using a Haenal .177 with iron sights over about 25m. I was definitely hitting the little (and sometimes big) buggers but they just squeeked, leapt in the air and disappeared. Not good and not very humane. Passing through Trago a couple of months later I saw an end of line item - SMK20 .22 Air Rifle at just over £100. I bought a cheapo telescopic sight (c.£25) to go with it, zeroed and engaged the next day. One shot, one kill. Managed to repeat the next day (different rat this time). Now that it is summer my neighbour no longer obliges by filling her bird feeder. Roll on autumn.

14. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I agree with all of the above and would like to add that the RSPCA are the biggest bunch of left wing cunts I've met outside of the SWP. If ever someone rattles a charidy tin under my nose for them they get short shrift. And the one time I had a uniformed bod collecting at the door I was vile to them, I actually felt bad for about oh 1minute but then I remembered that they are basically a bunch of cunts.

15. The Police often 'forget,' or are completely ignorant of that last bit. If you have a sound moderated .22 and a safe backstop, and are shooting away from the road, you are not in violation of the law.