I regret never having seen...

Late eighties (maybees 1988), Marillion were due to play at PC 69 in Bielefeld the same weekend I was on duty at Richmond Bks (a few hundered meters up from PC69). For some reason (most likely excessive alcohol consumption), I had it in my head they were playing on Saturday night, so I swapped my Saturday duty for the Friday night. Cue one very pissed off Shiny_Arrse listening to the (muffled) bass-line of some very familiar tunes whilst stagging on. :x
In 1996, I saw Fish play a gig at Vitez School hall, in Bosnia. Which we had taken over for the duration. He was there as part of a package tour, with dancers and a comedian or two included. Not a prog rock fan, and I detest all-seated venues, I tried and tried to be put on duty for the night, to no avail. I must say, he is a much better actor than a singer. He was great in The Young People's Guide To Becoming A Rock Star.

For years I managed to be on a different continent from Richard Thompson. Wherever he was, I wasn’t. I’ve managed to see him the last three times on the trot and probably again later this year.

I can’t actually think of anyone I desperately want to see. I never understood Paul Rogers and Queen.
Walked out of Dylan concerts so often as I wanted to see the support band. The dame wobbled a lip so, we, much against my better judgement went off to see him in Dublin.
He was exactly as I expected, awful, but the band were superb as always. I enjoyed it in a weird sort of way.
Sinead O Conner and the Chieftains doing his intro with ‘The Foggy Dew’.

‘That’s a rebel song’
‘Shut up’
‘It’s a rebel song’
‘Shut up’
From my right. ‘You’re right it’s a rebel song now sing up or shut up’.
I sung up.

‘There armed lines of marching men. In squadrons passed me by’
‘Shut up’.
'No fife did hum, no battle drum'

I caught a band pretty much every second weekend in BAOR, I particularly enjoyed the two day music fests in Dortmund and Düsseldorf they seemed to put on fairly frequently, catch 5 or 6 decent bands. During the late 70s, saw a ton also, caught the Pistols, Stranglers, and Sham 69 all in one night. Made it to London for Live Aid, saw Queen in Dortmund, Kiss and Bon Jovi in Hannover. The one I really regret missing was Robert Palmer, I would have killed to see him, well, more his supporting cast.
I used to hang around with Roland Gift when I was a kid, along with Lena Lovitch, the Christians, Fat Boy Slim and the House Martins. Wreckless Eric was another one that was always around the group, Sade's band and the Spiders from Mars were others that would on occasion join us for beer. Art college in Hull was a rich stomping ground in the 70s, but Robert Palmer would be my choice.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I regret never seeing the yellow lights go down the Mississippi
Or seen the bridges of the world and they're for real
Never had a red light of the wrist
Without me even getting' kissed
And it still seems so unreal

Never seen the morning in the mountains of Alaska
Never seen the sunset in the east and in the west
Never sang the glory that was Rome
Never passed the hound-dog singer's home
Probably still seems for the best

Never seen the Paris lights from high upon Montmartre
And felt the silence hanging low in No-Man's-Land
And all those Spanish nights were fine
It wasn't only from the wine
But it It seemed all in hand

I've never seen the above because

I'm far, far away, In the USA
Noddy Holder walt

Although I did see them several times eventually, I still wish I had seen the SeX pIsTOls back in their 1976-77 heyday. Alas I was too young to get into the venues. If you were to get everybody who claims to have seen them at Wolverhampton Laffayette, you could fill the Civic Hall. You will notice that I am not in this photo, taken from their SPOTS tour.

1582667640563.png

When I look at their gigs list, and I see many venues and cities where I have attended Punk gigs, and if I had been the right age, and as active then on the scene, as I was in the 80s, it would have been very different.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Got to agree with @foxs_marine about the Allman Brothers Band.

Bowie, absolutely.

The Cars.

The Stones - my brother won two tickets at work about 25 years ago and took a bloke from the office that he didn't even like because he "didn't think I'd be interested in going", the tw@t. I have to say, though, the Counterfeit Stones are very good.

I got a free ticket to see Floyd after the stand collapse at Earl's Court - my mate's mate didn't want to go. It was overwhelming - too much. That said, I'd love to have seen the Palace of Versailles gig.

If he ever comes this way again, John Mellencamp. I've never seen such energy and intensity.

Best gig ever was the Black Crowes at the Albert Hall. They're here again this year and I've got tickets. Anybody going to Brixton on 12 October give me a shout and we'll have a beer.

I’ve seen most of the biggies listed in this thread. Queen, Floyd, The Who, Led Zep, Jethro Tull. Genesis, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, etc, was also a regular at Westfallenhalle in the 80s, saw Meat Loaf and Foreigner on the same gig.

My only regret was never seeing Emerson, Lake and Palmer live. There’s some good footage of Greg Lake doing some acoustic stuff on an American radio station on You Tube. Search “Greg Lake Q104” for a real treat.
Saw ELP when they did their' Pictures at an Exhibition Tour'.
It was excellent.

One year before I had heard Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra do Mussorgskis original score.
Both an education in music.

Got to agree with @foxs_marine about the Allman Brothers Band.

Bowie, absolutely.

The Cars.

The Stones - my brother won two tickets at work about 25 years ago and took a bloke from the office that he didn't even like because he "didn't think I'd be interested in going", the tw@t. I have to say, though, the Counterfeit Stones are very good.

I got a free ticket to see Floyd after the stand collapse at Earl's Court - my mate's mate didn't want to go. It was overwhelming - too much. That said, I'd love to have seen the Palace of Versailles gig.

If he ever comes this way again, John Mellencamp. I've never seen such energy and intensity.

Best gig ever was the Black Crowes at the Albert Hall. They're here again this year and I've got tickets. Anybody going to Brixton on 12 October give me a shout and we'll have a beer.
Did the Black Crowes at Cambridge Corn Exchange .
So good.

Was running into Earls Court ( late trains or something ) to get to the start of that Pink Floyd gig ......

......as people were running out !

WTF ?!

Stands collapsed .......

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
i would have paid money to see this, seen everyone in it except ELO ( couldn't be bothered with Jeff Lynne)
But watch to the end Prince is brilliant

Peter Green, before one too many acid trips had launched him onto a different planet. With Fleetwood Mac or The Bluesbreakers.

These things are very subjective, but IMHO he was the best British guitarist around. Just say no, kids.
I went to see John Mayall with his Bluesbreakers at Portsmouth Guildhall some years back. With Stan Webb and Chickenshack and Mick Taylor and friends. Flipping excellent, apart from Mick Taylor.
I have heard that Peter Green is either amazing or rubbish, and it’s pot luck.

Memory jog.True Dit:-

Saw him, in rehearsals in 1983-4. can't remember exactly which year, in the RAH, working backstage( installing new fire alarm systems) when the music struck up, so I crept through the tunnel that comes out centre stage rear, stood between the tiers of seats that are behind the stage , there for about 30 minutes totally in awe of the man, him being only 20 feet away, looking around, the only people were the lighting rig guys, directly overhead, the auditorium was empty, unknown behind me, was a big 7 foot coloured bodyguard , who said in American" The boss said its ok" I found out later, that he does not like being watched rehearsing from the stalls.

A week or so later the Everley brothers were on, they announced that" The Everley brothers are now rehearsing, all personal not on essential duty are invited to watch" ... I declined watching Suzie and the banshees, too bloody noisy.
You square

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I caught a band pretty much every second weekend in BAOR, I particularly enjoyed the two day music fests in Dortmund and Düsseldorf they seemed to put on fairly frequently, catch 5 or 6 decent bands. During the late 70s, saw a ton also, caught the Pistols, Stranglers, and Sham 69 all in one night. Made it to London for Live Aid, saw Queen in Dortmund, Kiss and Bon Jovi in Hannover. The one I really regret missing was Robert Palmer, I would have killed to see him, well, more his supporting cast.
I used to hang around with Roland Gift when I was a kid, along with Lena Lovitch, the Christians, Fat Boy Slim and the House Martins. Wreckless Eric was another one that was always around the group, Sade's band and the Spiders from Mars were others that would on occasion join us for beer. Art college in Hull was a rich stomping ground in the 70s, but Robert Palmer would be my choice.
Palmers last gig in Belfast. The exes kid sis, shared the london flight with them. Rang me as soon as they landed.
'Weve been invited to some gig, shortarse called Robert Palmer, loves himself. Any good'.

'Go, great band. Take your sister i'm on shift'.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Did the Black Crowes at Cambridge Corn Exchange .
So good.

Was running into Earls Court ( late trains or something ) to get to the start of that Pink Floyd gig ......

......as people were running out !

WTF ?!

Stands collapsed .......
And I was there between the pair of you. So technically I saw Floyd twice on their penultimate ever gig.

Wright had been booted off by Waters, who'd demanded he return from a Riviera holiday with family to redo his work on The Wall. Wright told him to swivel. Come the tour, they realised they couldn't tour The Wall without Wright, who was signed on at a salary and was thus the only one of the four to make money out of the tour.

As it turned out, they added a second week at Wembley after Dortmund. Then Waters flounced and tried unsuccessfully to disband the band.

Eventually three of them went back on tour with Wright guesting until they'd finally stopped Waters' whining. Last night but one of The Division Bell, which would see them disband again until Geldoff demanded they head Live 8 because the bastards had inconsiderately disbanded just before Live Aid, which he had wanted them to head after collaborating on The Wall film. As it turned out, Gilmour played backing guitar for numerous acts at Live Aid, which fact passed most people by.

Mentioned upthread, but I really, really wish I had caught a Rory Gallagher show. Simply the best. If I was having a funeral “Crest of a Wave” is about the best song ever written and I’d want it played.
”Live in Europe” 1973 is just about the best album, ever, when you think about it, apart from the ten thousand others.

And I was there between the pair of you. So technically I saw Floyd twice on their penultimate ever gig.

Wright had been booted off by Waters, who'd demanded he return from a Riviera holiday with family to redo his work on The Wall. Wright told him to swivel. Come the tour, they realised they couldn't tour The Wall without Wright, who was signed on at a salary and was thus the only one of the four to make money out of the tour.

As it turned out, they added a second week at Wembley after Dortmund. Then Waters flounced and tried unsuccessfully to disband the band.

Eventually three of them went back on tour with Wright guesting until they'd finally stopped Waters' whining. Last night but one of The Division Bell, which would see them disband again until Geldoff demanded they head Live 8 because the bastards had inconsiderately disbanded just before Live Aid, which he had wanted them to head after collaborating on The Wall film. As it turned out, Gilmour played backing guitar for numerous acts at Live Aid, which fact passed most people by.
Love the time Gilmour turned up (Guest appearance ) to play a couple of numbers on John Martyns tour in Germany.

He can turn up anywhere and deal with it musically.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Love the time Gilmour turned up (Guest appearance ) to play a couple of numbers on John Martyns tour in Germany.

He can turn up anywhere and deal with it musically.
Google French Saunders Ralph McTell. There's a great video of a handful of guitar legends including Gilmour jamming and taking the p¡ss out of themselves. Sure I've linked it here before but I'm off to bed.

Latest Threads