I regret never having seen...

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
We are a bunch with a wide, wide range of musical tastes spanning many decades and even centuries. So my question to you is which singer/group/band/orchestra etc do you regret never having been able to see live? Sometimes it's because you couldn't afford it, or you were too far away, or too young or whatever reason.

To start with, I regret never having seen Queen - the originals with Freddie Mercury (I was too young or too broke when they were around). I also regret never having seen Runrig (I didn't really get to enjoy their music until very late in their career and when I did I was not in a position to get to a show).

Over to you lot!

Queen live
Jimi Hendrix
Pink Floyd for the sheer theatre of it all

On a slightly different note, I wish to god I had seen Billy Connolly (as a younger man) live. Although I was too young at the time, one of my abiding memories will always be watching 25BC with my father and laughing so hard that my mother had to change bedrooms upstairs to get some sleep.

We are a bunch with a wide, wide range of musical tastes spanning many decades and even centuries. So my question to you is which singer/group/band/orchestra etc do you regret never having been able to see live? Sometimes it's because you couldn't afford it, or you were too far away, or too young or whatever reason.

To start with, I regret never having seen Queen - the originals with Freddie Mercury (I was too young or too broke when they were around). I also regret never having seen Runrig (I didn't really get to enjoy their music until very late in their career and when I did I was not in a position to get to a show).

Over to you lot!
Agreed ref Queen, they were on at the Westfalen Halle Dortmund in 1984, friends had tickets but I didn’t bother driving the 40 mins from Paderborn, those that went said it was an enjoyable concert:)

I also failed to go to see Joe Cocker in Paderborn when invited by a cracking German girl I was knocking about with at the time.

I regret never being able to see Glenn Gould give a live performance, because he stopped doing them a decade before I was born.

Oh, and Rockbitch, because I'm a colossal pervert.

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
My 2 Grand Fathers & my Great Uncle Drew, he sounded as eccentric as I am, but had a crap serious Civil Servant job and was a Senior Charted Marine Surveyor in the War Office with his brother Great Uncle Harry who introduced me to Ale.

Dickyb

Crow
Agreed ref Queen, they were on at the Westfalen Halle Dortmund in 1984, friends had tickets but I didn’t bother driving the 40 mins from Paderborn, those that went said it was an enjoyable concert:)

I also failed to go to see Joe Cocker in Paderborn when invited by a cracking German girl I was knocking about with at the time.
I was at that Queen concert. Went from Alanbrooke barracks in Paderborn. Great concert up until they did "I Want to Break Free" as an encore. Not sure whether the Germans couldn't handle Freddie in drag or whether they all had a bus to catch but the place started emptying sharpish. I was too young by far but would have liked to have seen Elvis in Vegas in the early years.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
My 2 Grand Fathers & my Great Uncle Drew, he sounded as eccentric as I am, but had a crap serious Civil Servant job and was a Senior Charted Marine Surveyor in the War Office with his brother Great Uncle Harry who introduced me to Ale.
Uh-huh - what was their standout showstopper? :roll:

I was a spotty teenager in the early 70s.

I wish now I'd had the balls to hitch a lift to see
  • Free
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Cream

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
I regret that I was born in 1988 and never got the chance to see the original Guns 'n Roses live.

Nowadays, Axl Rose's voice has gone down the crapper and I prefer Myles Kennedy who tours with Slash and a couple of other GnR guys.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Uh-huh - what was their standout showstopper?

I was a spotty teenager in the early 70s.

I wish now I'd had the balls to hitch a lift to see
  • Free
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Cream
In 1980, every week I commuted from Paderborn past the Westfalenhalle to my Linguist Course in Mühlheim AD Ruhr. I saw different great names every week (and in 81 I took my fiancee of four days, the Rock Chick future Zero Alpha to see The Wall there). Three phases between January and August, the last name I saw on the Westfalenhalle's board was Led Zeppelin.

Came back from Spearpoint to news that they'd broken up following the death of Bonham.

Pink Floyd and Joni Mitchell...

I saw Dave Gilmour and Zepplin's John Paul Jones on stage with Roy Harper in Hyde Park in 1974, and I've seen the Australian Pink Floyd a couple of times.

Wish I'd seen the original Floyd though... =-(

I'd still like to see Pat Benetar (who refuses to tour outside the USA unfortunately) and Rammstein...

Mind you, I did get to see The Who while Keith Moon was still alive and drumming...

In 1980, every week I commuted from Paderborn past the Westfalenhalle to my Linguist Course in Mühlheim AD Ruhr. I saw different great names every week (and in 81 I took my fiancee of four days, the Rock Chick future Zero Alpha to see The Wall there). Three phases between January and August, the last name I saw on the Westfalenhalle's board was Led Zeppelin.

Came back from Spearpoint to news that they'd broken up following the death of Bonham.
I also saw The Wall at the Westfallen Halle

Queen.
David Bowie.
Led Zeppelin.
Pink Floyd.
We did go to a Brit Floyd concert last year, they were excellent and I would recommend any Floyd fan to go see them if you get a chance.

I'd still like to see Pat Benetar.
My wife has been told she is the spitting image* of Pat Benetar more times than I could count.

* and I don't mean the puppit spitting image either.

Carbon 6

Old-Salt
The Who. I have friends who saw them in the 70s and they're still raving about that concert.

Tina Turner tour 2009. I have a DVD of her concert in Holland and it's amazing. She's 69 years old, FFS!

chimera

LE
We did go to a Brit Floyd concert last year, they were excellent and I would recommend any Floyd fan to go see them if you get a chance.
Ditto Aussie Floyd (in fact I think they are even better). I already have tickets for one of their UK dates later this year.

Queen,
Dire Straits,
INXS,
AC/DC,
The Angels,
Lynyrd Skynyrd,
The Allman Brothers Band,
Big Country,
Marillion

My wife has been told she is the spitting image* of Pat Benetar more times than I could count.

* and I don't mean the puppit spitting image either.
You know the rules... pictures!

Still got this album on vinyl somewhere...

Latest Threads