I really need your feedback Pleeeeeeeeeese x

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by chester01, Apr 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone
    There is nothing more powerful than the memory of someone's voice is there? My step father passed away 5 years ago. I was dusting one day and I was doing something in an awkward manner. He used to say to me 'for god's sake use two hands, thats what they are for'. I was saddened because I could not recall his voice saying it.
    Because of this I have devised a product that stores vocal memories. The whole unit is then gifted to a loved one. I know the subject of death is never plesant to discuss, however I have noticed that alot of armed forces personel have been leaving written letters for their loved ones incase they do not return home. MemoryM8z will be for this purpose, or alternatively, family members can make recordings for you to take away with you. I have no capital and I now need to raise funds to take this into production and to do this I need your feedback. (think the proper term is market research) Can you let me know
    What you think to the idea
    If you or someone you know would use it
    How much you think it would cost.
    This product will be retailed by your organisations charitys so profit made will go to the charity. I am so grateful to you for reading this and I hope you respond. Thank you x
  2. I can hear my parents nagging me from the grave already!
  3. What does it do that an ipod and an mp3 recording does not? If the Queen is comfortable with ipods and podcasts I think most people are.
  4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Can't help but think you are on to a loser here. I already have lots of devices that can recording my voice/film me. Why do I need a dedicated piece of hardware (as you are describing) that may fail when all I need is the ability to capture a file with the voice in it which can then be played on all manner of devices I already own?

It's a no go from me.

Now if you were to organise a site that peoples could save recordings to, you may have a sellable idea - at least to those that aren't IT literate.
  5. Hi, thanks for the feedback. Yes I agree, there is already existing tecnology that has this function. However, MemoryM8z has a specific function, so will encourage people to use it for its purpose. You then give/leave the whole unit to someone.
  6. Is also has a memory card so that recordings can be transferred to other devices x
  7. In my opinion this is a non starter. There are far too many methods of making audio/visual records that this would never make it even in a niche market. As for the memory card that can be used in other devices, why not just use one of the devices that is compatable in the first place?
  8. Yes, I see what you are saying. My thoughts are that this will be used by lots of people. The terminally ill for instance. As you state alot of devices have a recording facility, but how many people use them? Say I was emigrating for instance, would I make recordings to leave to my parents on a mobile phone? The idea is that I would by the MemoryM8z unit, make the recordings and give them the whole unit, including the recordings as a gift.
  9. Sounds like you will be providing a service rather than a product. I remember back in the 80's there was a big boom in video wills and the like. You could pitch it to people who would like a DVD of Q&A's about stuff. Type in a question and get a dear departed's answer?
  10. I'm sorry you obviously have invested time and thought into this however, I still feel it is a non starter. People are unlikely to buy an item like this when there are already so many items on the market that do the same thing and have other functions as well. If you intend to carry on with the idea, good luck, just don't invest too much money or energy into it.
  11. Feell like you've answered your own question there, to be honest if I wanted a memory of someones voice I'd rather be looking at them as well as hearing them, and I have a perfectly good digital camera inorder to do this. Prehaps a safe storage website or somthing similar might be a worth looking at.

When I had to spend time away from my LO I made a recording of bedtime stories, just using an ordinary dictaphone, I certainly wouldn't have gone out and brought a 'memory keeper'. I think this would have been a great invention pre internet, but lets be honest if emigrating its not as if phones/e-mail/web cams etc don't work and your never going to speak to them again unless your plane crashes on the way over.

Few people want to keep somthing around 'fear' somthing happens to them, for most a Will and plenty of photos/videos etc are enough and when you take them you tend to tell yourself you taking them to remind yourself of the good times you had not as a keep sake for others just in case you die.

Just a few thoughts

12. Many thanks to you for responding. I really apreciate it. I will take your comments on board.
  13. May I ask, do you make any vocal recordings on the devices you have? Just trying to establish the recordings function on other devices are used. Cheers
  14. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I make recordings on a digital voice recorder (I have been interviewing people for a dissertation) which I save as voice recordings for reference).

I also record direct to my laptop voice and Word reminders for myself. I use speech recognition software to do so - the stuff that Vista comes with is pretty good once it gets used to you.

The normal camcorder, digital camera and mobile phone. (all of these obviously have picture capture too)

That's it for me, I think.

I forgot. I have video/voice on my ipod too.