I read a book once....

#1
Not holding out much hope but here goes,
Usual story, members of my gun crew jealous of the fact I can read words without pictures have a larrf and rip out the last few pages of the book I have been reading on exercise, ha ha
Now this was 15 years ago and really bugs me so I will try the powers of tinternet to see if it can be resolved
All I remember about it was it was an (auto)biography, the first chapter involved a senior rank (maybe a para) leaving the gates of his barracks (maybe the shot) for the last time after 20 odd years service and reflecting on his life in the army
not much to go on, but worth a try, any suggestions I can follow up on?
 
#3
You have my sympathy, I know how you feel as I had a similar experience myself some years ago.

If anyone can tell me how the Bash Street Kids story in the 1978 Beano annual ended I'd be very grateful.

T_T
 
#4
ubique66 said:
Not holding out much hope but here goes,
Usual story, members of my gun crew jealous of the fact I can read words without pictures have a larrf and rip out the last few pages of the book I have been reading on exercise, ha ha
Now this was 15 years ago and really bugs me so I will try the powers of tinternet to see if it can be resolved
All I remember about it was it was an (auto)biography, the first chapter involved a senior rank (maybe a para) leaving the gates of his barracks (maybe the shot) for the last time after 20 odd years service and reflecting on his life in the army
not much to go on, but worth a try, any suggestions I can follow up on?
This is either "Don't Nudge You're Granny While She's Shaving" (can't remember the name of the author), or "Paradise" by Gardner Veedon.

Of course it could also be "Deep in Debt" by Owen Loades.

Hope this helps. :cyclopsani: :cyclopsani: :cyclopsani:

MsG
 
#5
Tartan_Terrier,

Off topic but you mentioned Beano. Once upon a time, in the dark recesses of my youth, my big brother bought a stack of these comic books from a Brit guy that used to live down the street from us. All I remember is that the man never left home without his well worn trench coat, he smoked a very foul smelling pipe and had a moustache big enough to house an ostrich. Guy used to call himself Field Marshall Jupiter. We used to call him "That weird dude."

Anyhows, reading Beano (hardcopy) is some of the best times I ever had as a kid.

Sorry ubique66. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#6
Tartan_Terrier said:
You have my sympathy, I know how you feel as I had a similar experience myself some years ago.

If anyone can tell me how the Bash Street Kids story in the 1978 Beano annual ended I'd be very grateful.

T_T
They got some sweets including bags of bon bons and large lollypops.
 

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#7
Mr Happy said:
Tartan_Terrier said:
You have my sympathy, I know how you feel as I had a similar experience myself some years ago.

If anyone can tell me how the Bash Street Kids story in the 1978 Beano annual ended I'd be very grateful.

T_T
They got some sweets including bags of bon bons and large lollypops.
So it was you hanging around the school gates :batman:
 
#8
Is the book you mean the one where - as he's walking out of the gates of depot para following demob - 2 Para are gathering to head off on Op Corporate?

I'm having a senior moment right now, but I'll remember the book soon...
 

OldSnowy

LE
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#10
Happened to me as a young sprog - to this day I still read the last chapter of a book first to find out what happens.

My fault for going on exercise in Germany with a cheap paperback with soft pages. That Compo paper was just too shiny.......
 
#11
I think the book you were reading, and the timescale fits e.g. 15 years ago, was called, "They stood in the Door". Written by an ex Para, it was essentially a collection of sand-bag dits drawn from 1, 2 and 3 Para with some TA Bns stuff thrown. The author meshed all this in to one novel.

You really didn't miss much, I ditched it after a few chapters in favour of that time honoured exrecise favourite, Sven Hassel, and I'm only glad that I nicked the book and didn't shell out some cash for it.

Sorry I can't remember the author's name, however, that old adage, "Don't judge a book by it's cover", in this case was really untrue. It had a cheap hand- painted scene on the front, in maroon of course, and I should have known better when I liberated it from a maroon beret wearing medic who trespassing in my AVF 432 Amb at the time and getting on my tits no-end.

The last I saw of the irritating tw*t was on SPTA....he went for a shovel recce near at Haxton O......and that's where we left him. He's possibly still there now, for all I care, though he probably tabbed it to Hankley DZ in some pavlovian urge to get home.Tosser. :highfive:
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#12
The last I saw of the irritating tw*t was on SPTA....he went for a shovel recce near at Haxton O......and that's where we left him. He's possibly still there now, for all I care, though he probably tabbed it to Hankley DZ in some pavlovian urge to get home.Tosser
Ahhh, the missing para on SPTA armed only with a shovel, often I have heard of the anguished cries on SPTA but never investigated. I heard one time that a patrol stumbled upon him, buried up to his armpits in his own shit-pit. But as the patrol approached to free him he started telling them about his fantastic love life, how he was a pro-footballer before an injury and how he was intending to do selection once he'd completed his 2 years in the PFA, the CO had told him that he should go for a commission and he was attached to the American Delta Force when he was 14.

Needless to say, the Patrol left him to it..
 
#14
Scabbers said:
I think the book you were reading, and the timescale fits e.g. 15 years ago, was called, "They stood in the Door". Written by an ex Para, it was essentially a collection of sand-bag dits drawn from 1, 2 and 3 Para with some TA Bns stuff thrown. The author meshed all this in to one novel.

You really didn't miss much, I ditched it after a few chapters in favour of that time honoured exrecise favourite, Sven Hassel, and I'm only glad that I nicked the book and didn't shell out some cash for it.

Sorry I can't remember the author's name, however, that old adage, "Don't judge a book by it's cover", in this case was really untrue. It had a cheap hand- painted scene on the front, in maroon of course, and I should have known better when I liberated it from a maroon beret wearing medic who trespassing in my AVF 432 Amb at the time and getting on my tits no-end.

The last I saw of the irritating tw*t was on SPTA....he went for a shovel recce near at Haxton O......and that's where we left him. He's possibly still there now, for all I care, though he probably tabbed it to Hankley DZ in some pavlovian urge to get home.Tosser. :highfive:
Don McNaughton - They Stood in the Door. A nice guy. Knew him when he was in the 'Red Freds'. I thought this book was good for it's time.
 
#15
bob_lawlaw said:
Scabbers said:
I think the book you were reading, and the timescale fits e.g. 15 years ago, was called, "They stood in the Door". Written by an ex Para, it was essentially a collection of sand-bag dits drawn from 1, 2 and 3 Para with some TA Bns stuff thrown. The author meshed all this in to one novel.

You really didn't miss much, I ditched it after a few chapters in favour of that time honoured exrecise favourite, Sven Hassel, and I'm only glad that I nicked the book and didn't shell out some cash for it.

Sorry I can't remember the author's name, however, that old adage, "Don't judge a book by it's cover", in this case was really untrue. It had a cheap hand- painted scene on the front, in maroon of course, and I should have known better when I liberated it from a maroon beret wearing medic who trespassing in my AVF 432 Amb at the time and getting on my tits no-end.

The last I saw of the irritating tw*t was on SPTA....he went for a shovel recce near at Haxton O......and that's where we left him. He's possibly still there now, for all I care, though he probably tabbed it to Hankley DZ in some pavlovian urge to get home.Tosser. :highfive:
Don McNaughton - They Stood in the Door. A nice guy. Knew him when he was in the 'Red Freds'. I thought this book was good for it's time.
There you go, ubique 66, ...you have your title and author thanks to the well read folks on arrse.

Enjoy your read, though I still stand by my analysis of the book....but that's because I have always had a jaundiced view of airborne after waking up in the CMH intensive care unit after a slight argument with a bunch of 7RHA members in a pub in Aldershot.....who hasn't ?

Later, I came across one of the said Gnrs on the prairie in Canada. I must confess that I did let my professional medical standards slip. He had guts ache, like most of us from weeks on compo.....he had the guts ache, I had the drugs to releave it, but used a very strong enema instead.

What's the difference between a gunner and a pot of yoghurt ? Well, there's living culture in yoghurt.....

I'm open for in-coming.
 
#16
Cheers scabbers! was starting to love you- until the crack about the yoghurt!
seriously chaps you are all stars, leftfield comments and otherwise
 
#17
ubique66 said:
Cheers scabbers! was starting to love you- until the crack about the yoghurt!
seriously chaps you are all stars, leftfield comments and otherwise
My pleasure, but please be aware that I am an Equal Opportunity Insulter. Gunners are but a single aiming point on a very target rich battlefield. Go to PQO medical forum for my jibes at the QAs and do NOT get me started on AGC (SPS).

RAF ? One of the top targets especially Air troopers and Movers.

Foot Guards ? Officers are polite and amusing. Guardsmen ? Tough, salt of the earth types with a smart sense of humour. SNCOs ? Adopted the snobbery of their officers without their fiscal means.....

RLC....? I could go on dear Gunner, but I'm afraid thethe Royal Regiment is not top of the target list. That is soley reserved for a body of the MoD that doesen't even wear a uniform......SODHEXO and any jobsworth that works for them. They are, quite simply, ******* and should be kicked out. But for that we would need some form of conscription to replace them.....hang-on didn't we have a Royal Army Service Corps once ? RLC types may feel free to comment here.

Have a good day, a good week-end and never EVER kick the dog *********** whilst you have your fingers in it's mouth.
 
#19
RAF ? One of the top targets especially Air troopers and Movers.

RAF!Airtroopers!HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
last time i checked Airtroopers are Private soldiers in the ARMY Air Corps-do not taint them with your RAF brush! Movers i agree with-waste of space and rations.
 
#20
Mr Happy said:
Looks like the Navy (c***-sucking-surrender-monkeys) have off scot free!
The Senior Service does have a few targets but they are mainly logistic types on RN bases that haven't been at sea for a decade or so and are quite divorced from reality. My main gripe about the "modern sailing andrew" is that they have more Admirals than ships......and that they arbitrarily announced a freeze on promotions from Lt Cdr (Maj) for a few years.

This was a nasty, treasury inspired, cost-saving trick that put many talented officers off-target for command of a Queen's Ship because of age. It was ruthless and, possibly, illegal (constructive dismissal ?). The result is that the talent will go, thus leaving the in-experienced and mediochre to command jolly jack afloat in the future. That's why I really do have a gripe about the 1 - 4 stars (or is it cannon balls ?) in the centre.

Nope, the RN is generally safe, in target terms, at least for those that go to sea, fly over it, or lurk underneath it. Having served aboard some of the larger vessels (like many brown jobs afloat, I spent the time perpetually getting lost inside the ship) I can quite safely say that it was a pretty good time...HMS Ocean gets my vote, as does RFA Argus.

Hang-on....haven't we digressed from things artsy and bookish ? My fault. I do go on, you should see me with a pint in my hand.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads