I overheard an ex para chatting on the London underground today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slime

LE
as I got onto a tube train today I saw a man in his (what looked like) late sixties wearing a para beret and blue blazer. He had three medals on his blazer and a crest on the right side with UNP at the top.

Another passenger started chatting with him and asking about the paras.
The chap in the beret told him:

He'd fought at El alamein
Served in Malaya
Served in Germany
Spent a lot of time training in the Scottish highlands and on Dartmoor doing escape and evasion training.

He was asked how many jumps he'd done and he said thousands. He had been in the Red Devils and had trained other paras to jump.
He had done HALO from 50.000 feet down to jumping at 500 feet
He said he'd also jumped a lot when he was in the French foreign legion and in his time in the pathfinders.
The other passenger then asked if he had done anything in Hereford.
He replied, oh yes I know Hereford as I was in the SASS too.

He said that being in the paras was a family thing and that his dad had been a para too, his son was and so were his grandkids. He said he'd told his son and grandkids not to join the paras but that they had said it was good enough for him so was good enough for them.

He also said he did a lot of training in Gernany including driving leopard tanks from the German army, he also added the German tiger tanks at El alamein had been good too and that the Germans build good tanks.

Somehow this chaps service seems to have lasted a bit too long for all that to be true IMHO.
On the other hand I reckon he must be very brave given the two extremes he jumped from

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Who cares?

I dont give a monkeys but if he was at El Alamein his dad couldnt be a para to as he would be the same age .

Why were you listening to a private conversation and why do you feel the need to gossip about it?

as I got onto a tube train today I saw a man in his (what looked like) late sixties wearing a para beret and blue blazer. He had three medals on his blazer and a crest on the right side with UNP at the top.
Snip

Somehow this chaps service seems to have lasted a bit too long for all that to be true IMHO.
On the other hand I reckon he must be very brave given the two extremes he jumped from
******* liar!! No-one talks to strangers on the tube!!

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Definitely gen. The fact that his dad jumpef with Da Vinci just confirms it.

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

J

JWBenett

The slack tw@t. 15 jumps one roman candle and a broken ankle here. On the descent I passed APWT on the SLR with a three inch grouping. I then pasted up my target with a long range glue gun and post it notes. All while blowing reveille on a Para cornet. I landed hard in a Zoo and killed two alligators using my SLR butt and strangled an angry renegade Zebra with the sling.

This would never have happened with that SA80 bollox. I was decorated, promoted to Colonel and led an SF brigade from a scout hut somewhere in Grantham. I don't talk about it. OP your man is a billy big timing saddo. See my memoirs at Crimbo.

yay.
Can we lock this thread now as it is getting boring !!! ;)

Another passenger started chatting with him and asking about the paras.
The chap in the beret told him:

He'd fought at El alamein
Served in Malaya
Served in Germany
Spent a lot of time training in the Scottish highlands and on Dartmoor doing escape and evasion training.

He was asked how many jumps he'd done and he said thousands. He had been in the Red Devils and had trained other paras to jump.
He had done HALO from 50.000 feet down to jumping at 500 feet
He said he'd also jumped a lot when he was in the French foreign legion and in his time in the pathfinders.
The other passenger then asked if he had done anything in Hereford.
He replied, oh yes I know Hereford as I was in the SASS too.

He said that being in the paras was a family thing and that his dad had been a para too, his son was and so were his grandkids. He said he'd told his son and grandkids not to join the paras but that they had said it was good enough for him so was good enough for them.

He also said he did a lot of training in Gernany including driving leopard tanks from the German army, he also added the German tiger tanks at El alamein had been good too and that the Germans build good tanks.

I never use public transport but I've often sat in my car and pretended I'm driving a train. It's fun.

I think the old lad may just be confused, old age does that to you, but after extensive research I can assure you that his tale is more or less true.
Shortly after the battle of El Alamein advancing British troops took charge of an Italian forces mobile brothel and, being good chaps, added the ladies to the regimental roll. Shortly thereafter one lady gave birth to the hero of your tale, so he WAS at the battle, although not quite old enough to take part. Later, he joined the paras , did Malaya and joined the Malayan Scouts (SAS). On return to UK and based at Hereford, he was part of a team testing the security at the Bundeswehr's firing camp in Wales, where, in the post ex party, he got a cabby on an early Leo.

Perfectly authentic chap, if a bit confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads