I need some help

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TheRealBraveheart, Aug 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone,

I had my PD dy today from the Glasgow ACIO and they want a 11:30 run time to pass. I only got a 11:53 time and a ride back to the office to book me for next friday.

Im just asking does anyone have any good tips or techniques to cut down run time. Im about 170-80 height and 9 stone. I can run the distance without stopping its just my pace. i know I will get a few "use the search" replies but for those that could share anything thanks.

2. do more running

3. Less ARRSE more run.

4. Find yourself a running track or a football pitch. Warm up by doing 3 laps at a jog. Then you want to do 1 lap at max effort, and rest for one lap. Repeat this another 3 times so by the end of the session you would have completed 1600m at best effort and 1600m recovery. Do this at least twice a week. Increase the reps after a couple of weeks.

5. Failing that, sign out a spine and some aggression. Peanut lungs

• Like Like x 2
  6. Do some legs stretching exercises, and more running.

7. I am sure there was some study done by one of those spurious Universities which, after spending zillions of pounds, the best way to cut down the time taken to complete said run was to...RUN FASTER!! I am deploying the same tactics for the Great North Run next month and will report back if it works for me.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thanks, because I never even thought of that!

Peanut Lungs. My new nickname!

9. Train with weight (ie carry a backpack full of bricks not eat lots of burgers), try and achieve a pass thus encumbered, then really go for it on the day. They really aren't asking for much - all you have to do is strengthen your feeble mind, I would suggest, and try a little harder.

10. Interval and Fartlek training, throw in a few 1.5 miles runs also!

170-80 in height, just curious but that's almost 4 inches difference there and 9 stone, eat something!

11. I did the same thing, that's why my knees, ankles, hips and back are fecked now!

12. I think you could with some carlories @ 9 stone

13. If you're trying again next Friday then make Wednesday your last training session.

Fartlek / hills as well as longer, steadier runs as well would be good, but you've only got 5 days to knock 23 seconds off - good luck

14. 11:53?? Next time don't leopard crawl it.

15. If you're not absolutely destroyed by the end of it, then your most likely not giving it max effort. You should be really, really, struggling to finish the end of the 1.5 mile run and not able to sprint at the end, that's when you know your giving it your all.

As above, intervals is what really helped in dropping my run times down when i didn't think i could go any faster. You just need to get use to upping your pace and sticking at it.