I need some help

Hi everyone,

I had my PD dy today from the Glasgow ACIO and they want a 11:30 run time to pass. I only got a 11:53 time and a ride back to the office to book me for next friday.

Im just asking does anyone have any good tips or techniques to cut down run time. Im about 170-80 height and 9 stone. I can run the distance without stopping its just my pace. i know I will get a few "use the search" replies but for those that could share anything thanks.

Find yourself a running track or a football pitch. Warm up by doing 3 laps at a jog. Then you want to do 1 lap at max effort, and rest for one lap. Repeat this another 3 times so by the end of the session you would have completed 1600m at best effort and 1600m recovery. Do this at least twice a week. Increase the reps after a couple of weeks.

I am sure there was some study done by one of those spurious Universities which, after spending zillions of pounds, the best way to cut down the time taken to complete said run was to...RUN FASTER!! I am deploying the same tactics for the Great North Run next month and will report back if it works for me.

Train with weight (ie carry a backpack full of bricks not eat lots of burgers), try and achieve a pass thus encumbered, then really go for it on the day. They really aren't asking for much - all you have to do is strengthen your feeble mind, I would suggest, and try a little harder.

Hi everyone,

I had my PD dy today from the Glasgow ACIO and they want a 11:30 run time to pass. I only got a 11:53 time and a ride back to the office to book me for next friday.

Im just asking does anyone have any good tips or techniques to cut down run time. Im about 170-80 height and 9 stone. I can run the distance without stopping its just my pace. i know I will get a few "use the search" replies but for those that could share anything thanks.
Interval and Fartlek training, throw in a few 1.5 miles runs also!

170-80 in height, just curious but that's almost 4 inches difference there and 9 stone, eat something!

To get my run time down when I joined I had two 58 patt kidney pouches with carrier bags of sand and a full water bottle on me belt kit and ran in a pair of boots...

I must have looked like a twat.
I did the same thing, that's why my knees, ankles, hips and back are fecked now!

Hi everyone,

I think you could with some carlories @ 9 stone

If you're trying again next Friday then make Wednesday your last training session.

Fartlek / hills as well as longer, steadier runs as well would be good, but you've only got 5 days to knock 23 seconds off - good luck

If you're not absolutely destroyed by the end of it, then your most likely not giving it max effort. You should be really, really, struggling to finish the end of the 1.5 mile run and not able to sprint at the end, that's when you know your giving it your all.

As above, intervals is what really helped in dropping my run times down when i didn't think i could go any faster. You just need to get use to upping your pace and sticking at it.

S

Screw_The_Nut

I seem to have lost a post. Anyway...

Do 1.5 miles at 80-90% 5 days in a row, then have one or two days off and on 7th/8th day do a best effort 1.5 miles, you should knock off at least 30 seconds in 1 week. It won't train you for anything else, but you'll pass the fitness test.

Thanks everyone, all this has been not.
About my weight. Its a f***ing menace, I can literally eat all the fattiest foods and I put on no weight at all, Im starting to think it just flys back out my arrse.

Any tips on that haha?

You can't do much in a week, but that 30secs is possible. Do the following and skip nothing.

Saturday - Easy 4 mile run but don't exert yourself.
Sunday - Find some way of marking out an accurate 400m and run this about 10 times in 1:55 have as much rest in between reps as you need. This is primarily to find correct pace. do the last 3 reps without looking at your watch till the end of the rep.
Monday - Easy 4 mile, nice and slow.
Tuesday - Same as Sunday. concentrate and remember what correct pace feels like.
Wednesday - Rest day.
Thursday - Easy 2 mile

Day of Test

- Keep hydrated but do not overfill.
- Eat normally but do not eat for 3 hours before the test - food in your stomach does nothing but slow you down - its only 1.5 miles.
- This is important - warm up by yourself 30mins before the test, 10mins walk/jog and then do one 400m at the pace you did earlier in the week. You need to get your head, heart, lungs and muscles ready for what is coming, too many people put their body into a mild shock and fill with lactate too early in the run, you can avoid this by getting the body ready, you should be sweating lightly when you turn up at the Gym - this will not tire you out!
- Run your own race, do not follow others, keep to the pace that you know all the way round. When you can see the finish line, then and only then dig deep and find another gear, then dig deep again and find another, you need to get angry and see how much you can hurt yourself till you past the line.

Best of luck, let us know how you got on.

Latest Threads