I need advice....

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Life_In_Army, Jul 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, Within the last year i have been diagnosed Epileptic and since been Permanently downgraded restricting me from;
    Weapon handling, Operational tour and certain Exercises and courses.

I am now going through the PAP10 process and would like to be Medically Discharged with Resettlement and pension, but i wish to know where i stand with the whole process...
    As far as my Doctor is concerned, i WILL NOT be Medically discharged unless the Army can find me a Desk job or store job elsewhere within the forces.
    The only discharge i can 'apparently' apply for is under Appendix 22 - Administration discharge (without the benefits) or my standard 12 month 'signing off' process.

I read into the JSP 950 Medical catalogue and found the Surgeon Generals policy letter stating that 'Appearance by Service personnel at a medical discharge board is necessary when a medical condition renders the serviceman or woman unable to achieve the functional capacity required of them for continued service...' thus implying that I am automatically selected for this process...? (please correct me if i'm wrong?)

Unlike the obvious Medical discharge an amputee can expect, with epileptics the case is different as the Military can come back with refusal suggesting that this would've happened regardless of Serving or not... However in my situation it is questionable as i started getting Partial seizures a couple of months after my first operational tour (reported to the Doctor straight away) but nothing major (except an MRI) was done until i had my first Seizure exactly a year after coming back from Tour.
    Based on this Information, Where does this put me in the Discharge process? The only reason i posted on here was because i would rather know now so that i can raise/lower expectations in certain areas based on other people's previous experiences.

I would rather leaving the forces as i cannot be Promoted or advance on my career unlike the options i believe i might have in Civilian street

If anyone can come back to me with any information or suggestions then it would be a great help.

Thanks in Advance :)

2. No-one can help or even advise? that shocks me.... :)

3. I think it all depends on the root cause of your epilepsy, sorry to hear of your condition by the way. I don't want to pry into your personal details but are you aware of the MRI results?

I think the MoD would shy away from MDing you if your condition is caused by a congenital condition (something you were born with) that is now manifesting itself. Say an arterio-venous malformation, haemangioma or unruptured aneurysm.

If your condition was caused by something that happened on tour (blow to the head/sports injury/ops) then you may get MD'd.

Ask your CoC to follow up your enquiry.

Good luck.

4. I girl I knew way back when was diagnosed with epilepsy, after she had been in the Army for approx 1 year. She was MD'd with no pension etc as far as I remember. This was back in 1996 though.

5. Thank you for the replies, MRI and EEG results came back clear but still i have Seizures with are better controlled with medication.
    Things like this are difficult to prove so i am unsure whether the MOD will MD me, PAP 10 has been put in now so i guess it's a waiting game. if they don't MD me, i may sign off as i don't fancy a career stuck in an office.

6. You don't fancy a career in an office ? Stay in because the options outside are getting thinner and thinner as unemployment rises. You might hate being in an office but you'll hate it even more sitting in a small cubicle asking punters if they'd like to 'go large'

7. Lol, fair point. I'm planning a lot of back ups for jobs, hopefully luck will go my way huh?

8. There are three forms of medical discharge in the Army:

Any medical condition that makes an officer or soldier unfit for any form of Army service for the rest of their life.

Any medical condition that makes an officer or soldier unfit for any form of Army service for the foreseeable future but there may be some improvement. (These first two are the result of a medical board recommending discharge).

Any medical condition that makes a soldier unfit for a reasonable range of employments in their capbadge or any other capbadge for the foreseeable future. This is the PAP10 or RECU process following a medical board that recommends very restricted work.

If you are discharged by any of these methods you are being made compulsorilly redundant and you are entitled to your pension.

Separate from this, if your medical condition was caused or aggravated by your military service, you will be assessed by SPVA for an additional attributable pension or payment.