I Need advice, afgan tour coming up. any info welcome!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by steve_lightyear, Nov 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have an op tour coming up to afgan, and although this is not my first tour. It will be my first truely hostile tour and so if anyone has any info no matter how small on anything from cultrual to extra kit worth taking i would be grateful for your advice. cheers.

(please remember opsec)!
  2. Just call every local you meet donkey shagger, normaly met by a warm welcome.
  3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

You'll need to be a bit more specific I'm afraid. For example, what you may need to take depends on three things (to start with):

1. What you will be doing - big difference between what a Chef needs to take and a No2 on an 81mm, for example.

2. Where you are going - more facilities at some places than others (KAF is excellent, Bastion and Lash pretty decent, usually gets more basic the nearer the pointy end you get, logically enough.

3. When you are going - it's getting cold now, and the hot weather is well and truly behind us! LtWt sleeping bags are now pretty pointless...

So, define things a bit, and you'll get better answers.
  4. wear sunglasses when talking to village elders and eye up their women.
  5. Survive!
  6. Well so far you lot are a great deal of help, except for that last one i didn't even think about surviving, cheers 8O
  7. Take a green smock and helmet cover is one tip I've been told.
  8. Look at the thread in QMs "Kit to buy for an op tour"
  9. Why?
  10. Apparently members of 2 Mercian found the desert issue useless in the green zone and where trying to get theirs sent out to them.
  11. But their made out of the same material. Why useless?
  12. WAH? :D

Useless as in they stuck out like a sore thumb in an area covered in green stuff.
  13. could it be because desert camouflage doesn't work very well when the other surroundings are green ??? Too much of a contrast, would stand out like hell.
  14. Yeah wasn't even a good try was it? Unfortunatley for the Clampet above he fell for it. Well done clendogz
  15. Put a pair of underpants on your head and stick pencils in your nostrils.