I need a new MMO

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BrunoNoMedals, Oct 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I'm finally getting t'Internet connected at the new place, and upgrading my PC, and I've decided it's time I got into a new MMO.

I started playing Asheron's Call in about 2000, giving up in 2003 when I decided it was time to concentrate on Uni. Since then I've had a crack at a couple more cheap/free ones (Runescape, some random Korean thing, Dungeons & Dragons Online Beta) but never really got into them. I got Lord Of The Rings Online last year and enjoyed it, but after moving post and house, and losing my connection for a few months, they cancelled my account and deleted my characters. Twunts. Now I can't be bothered going back. And I refuse to touch WoW.

I've been waiting on Warhammer Online to come out but, now it's released, I'm not convinced. It looks a bit too dumbed down, with little class variety. The only classes that appeal to me are for races that don't, and so on.

I like MMOs which have an open environment with a good community, plenty of PvE and soloing opportunities, and a good, complex crafting system. WHO (WAR, technically) is, by many accounts, full of cnuts, totally PvP/RvR, and with little crafting.

While I'm deciding, I'm thinking of trying out Wurm Online. If it's any good I may be tempted to put some cash into it, but I'm not convinced it will be. I've also heard that Darkfall is coming out soon, and that looks pretty special.

My options currently are:

1. Risk WAR, see what it's like.
    2. Wait for Darkfall.
    3. Crack on with Wurm.
    4. Go back to LOTRO.
    5. See if AC is still going strong.

I'm looking for recommendations for other games, though. Please don't mention WoW or Eve!
  2. Not got a girlfriend then?
  3. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

I got tired of WoW and tried WAR - was pleasantly surprised, nothing is amazingly overpowered, pvp is the heart - you can even lvl just using pvp, or pve - you're not forced down a single avenue.

It has a very Brit twist - dwarves shout "bloody hell" and "bugger" how it got past the Americans I don't know.

It's worth trying imo but only if you like pvp to be honest.
  4. Suggest you rename this thread "I need a life" :wink:
  5. WAR is pretty good, mincing about playing a dwarf rune priest while I wait for my army application to be processed. You might need to spend a bit of time optimising the settings though due to the memory leaks etc that are prevalent in the game.

Or you could join the ARRSE Travian set up which is also great fun :D
  6. BrunoNoMedals

Lives are overrated, and the girlfriend gets me once a fortnight. In the mean time, this is cheaper than p*ssing my measly government wage up a wall :D

I'll look at Travian, but I got the impression it was one of those typical browser-based "build empire, attack other empire, log on next morning to find you've been rinsed" turn-based jobbies. Played plenty of those but not a huge fan.

PvP is something I could get into if it's not horrendously unbalanced. Most games I've played it just gets silly and childish (and I was always gash at it, which didn't help) but it's worth a crack. If WAR isn't too bad I might at least try it for the trial period (assuming there is one?). I was considering Dwarf Engineer or Goblin Squig Herder, but the races never appealed. Normally I'd go Elf Ranger but I just know that 40% of the population already has.
  7. BrunoNoMedals

That actually looks pretty good. Is there a subscription cost? I was always tempted by that sci-fi Sony effort, Planetside (Planetscape?) - a similar thing. It was bloody expensive, though. If this is free to play (and likely a budget buy, given the age) I might get that too.

Harry, I'm on MMORPG.com a lot and it's too slow with gash reviews.
  8. I wanted to play WAR but my system isnt up to it so for want of something better to do for an hour or so here and there I decided to try Everquest 2.

Its not bad at all, good class bases, PVE is great. HAvent tried PVP yet due to trying all the different classes out at the mo, but its a good game to play casually when Ive got nothing else to do, and its still quite busy on the euro server Im on.
  9. It's $14.99 yes dollars per month which works out at about an hour in the pub in sterling. Well worth it if you want uber realism £3.99 on play .com
    http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/624259/Battleground-Europe/Product.html?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-VideoGames-_-Action-_-Battleground+Europe&source=5063&engine=froogle_videogames&keyword=Battleground+Europe+(PC) get it and give the free trial a whirl well worth a go in my humble opinion
  10. BrunoNoMedals

Ah yes, you did mention free trial didn't you? Should really imply a monthly subscription... oh well, it's nearly home time and I can't be arrsed thinking today! £3.99 is a bargain, though. I'll have a gander :D
  11. Yes i did say there was a free trial i'd look into it more if your not sure about spending on subscription but you can cancel at any time. But it's a fps tanksim and flight sim all rolled into one
  12. BrunoNoMedals

I'll give it a couple of weeks and see. I played America's Army for a bit, and the excessive realism really got in the way of the actual fun for me - but maybe that's because it was full of retarded septic sprogs.

My kid brother became a teenager last night, and got WAR. That's another excuse for me to buy that - we can spend some quality time together killing elves :D