I need a new MMO

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm finally getting t'Internet connected at the new place, and upgrading my PC, and I've decided it's time I got into a new MMO.

I started playing Asheron's Call in about 2000, giving up in 2003 when I decided it was time to concentrate on Uni. Since then I've had a crack at a couple more cheap/free ones (Runescape, some random Korean thing, Dungeons & Dragons Online Beta) but never really got into them. I got Lord Of The Rings Online last year and enjoyed it, but after moving post and house, and losing my connection for a few months, they cancelled my account and deleted my characters. Twunts. Now I can't be bothered going back. And I refuse to touch WoW.

I've been waiting on Warhammer Online to come out but, now it's released, I'm not convinced. It looks a bit too dumbed down, with little class variety. The only classes that appeal to me are for races that don't, and so on.

I like MMOs which have an open environment with a good community, plenty of PvE and soloing opportunities, and a good, complex crafting system. WHO (WAR, technically) is, by many accounts, full of cnuts, totally PvP/RvR, and with little crafting.

While I'm deciding, I'm thinking of trying out Wurm Online. If it's any good I may be tempted to put some cash into it, but I'm not convinced it will be. I've also heard that Darkfall is coming out soon, and that looks pretty special.

My options currently are:

1. Risk WAR, see what it's like.
2. Wait for Darkfall.
3. Crack on with Wurm.
4. Go back to LOTRO.
5. See if AC is still going strong.

I'm looking for recommendations for other games, though. Please don't mention WoW or Eve!

D

Deleted 20555

I got tired of WoW and tried WAR - was pleasantly surprised, nothing is amazingly overpowered, pvp is the heart - you can even lvl just using pvp, or pve - you're not forced down a single avenue.

It has a very Brit twist - dwarves shout "bloody hell" and "bugger" how it got past the Americans I don't know.

It's worth trying imo but only if you like pvp to be honest.

WAR is pretty good, mincing about playing a dwarf rune priest while I wait for my army application to be processed. You might need to spend a bit of time optimising the settings though due to the memory leaks etc that are prevalent in the game.

Or you could join the ARRSE Travian set up which is also great fun :D

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
Lives are overrated, and the girlfriend gets me once a fortnight. In the mean time, this is cheaper than p*ssing my measly government wage up a wall :D

I'll look at Travian, but I got the impression it was one of those typical browser-based "build empire, attack other empire, log on next morning to find you've been rinsed" turn-based jobbies. Played plenty of those but not a huge fan.

PvP is something I could get into if it's not horrendously unbalanced. Most games I've played it just gets silly and childish (and I was always gash at it, which didn't help) but it's worth a crack. If WAR isn't too bad I might at least try it for the trial period (assuming there is one?). I was considering Dwarf Engineer or Goblin Squig Herder, but the races never appealed. Normally I'd go Elf Ranger but I just know that 40% of the population already has.

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
joey_deacons_lad said:
Look up battleground europe and dig out your black coveralls you can buy it cheap on amazon and get a two week trial http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleground_Europe
That actually looks pretty good. Is there a subscription cost? I was always tempted by that sci-fi Sony effort, Planetside (Planetscape?) - a similar thing. It was bloody expensive, though. If this is free to play (and likely a budget buy, given the age) I might get that too.

Harry, I'm on MMORPG.com a lot and it's too slow with gash reviews.

I wanted to play WAR but my system isnt up to it so for want of something better to do for an hour or so here and there I decided to try Everquest 2.

Its not bad at all, good class bases, PVE is great. HAvent tried PVP yet due to trying all the different classes out at the mo, but its a good game to play casually when Ive got nothing else to do, and its still quite busy on the euro server Im on.

BrunoNoMedals said:
joey_deacons_lad said:
Look up battleground europe and dig out your black coveralls you can buy it cheap on amazon and get a two week trial http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleground_Europe
That actually looks pretty good. Is there a subscription cost? I was always tempted by that sci-fi Sony effort, Planetside (Planetscape?) - a similar thing. It was bloody expensive, though. If this is free to play (and likely a budget buy, given the age) I might get that too.

Harry, I'm on MMORPG.com a lot and it's too slow with gash reviews.
It's $14.99 yes dollars per month which works out at about an hour in the pub in sterling. Well worth it if you want uber realism £3.99 on play .com
http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/624259/Battleground-Europe/Product.html?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-VideoGames-_-Action-_-Battleground+Europe&source=5063&engine=froogle_videogames&keyword=Battleground+Europe+(PC) get it and give the free trial a whirl well worth a go in my humble opinion

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
Ah yes, you did mention free trial didn't you? Should really imply a monthly subscription... oh well, it's nearly home time and I can't be arrsed thinking today! £3.99 is a bargain, though. I'll have a gander :D

BrunoNoMedals said:
Ah yes, you did mention free trial didn't you? Should really imply a monthly subscription... oh well, it's nearly home time and I can't be arrsed thinking today! £3.99 is a bargain, though. I'll have a gander :D
Yes i did say there was a free trial i'd look into it more if your not sure about spending on subscription but you can cancel at any time. But it's a fps tanksim and flight sim all rolled into one

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
joey_deacons_lad said:
BrunoNoMedals said:
Yes i did say there was a free trial i'd look into it more if your not sure about spending on subscription but you can cancel at any time. But it's a fps tanksim and flight sim all rolled into one
I'll give it a couple of weeks and see. I played America's Army for a bit, and the excessive realism really got in the way of the actual fun for me - but maybe that's because it was full of retarded septic sprogs.

My kid brother became a teenager last night, and got WAR. That's another excuse for me to buy that - we can spend some quality time together killing elves :D

WaR is amazing fun. If you have a friend or two to play with you can do some real damage in RvR (that's PvP for normal people). I usually play with two old school friends and us three often turn a scenario around.

If you play well, you will level fast and get a nice warm feeling for having the most kills :D

BrunoNoMedals said:
joey_deacons_lad said:
BrunoNoMedals said:
I'll give it a couple of weeks and see. I played America's Army for a bit, and the excessive realism really got in the way of the actual fun for me - but maybe that's because it was full of retarded septic sprogs.

My kid brother became a teenager last night, and got WAR. That's another excuse for me to buy that - we can spend some quality time together killing elves :D
If ultra realism puts you off then it probably is'nt the game your looking for the learning curve is vertical yet it's satifying when you start racking up kills. You can play as the hun come join us and release your inner Nazi :D

I've been playing WAR since early release. As a former Dark Age of Camelot and WoW player, I have not been disappointed. As other posters have said, PvP is it at it's heart, but not the 1v1 or 2v2 stuff. This is Realm v Realm (RvR) on a massive scale.

As for playing an elf ranger type - that is the Shadow Warrior class and isn't that well subscribed.

If you decide you are going to try it, I can sort you out a guild invite if you go Order on the Karak Hirn server. Just drop me a PM via here.

I've been a fan of MMO's for about 10 years now and am currently running WAR at home, I'll give you my heads up on WAR in a moment but a quick look at the other MMO's and my 1 sentence reviews will give you a feel for how I rate an MMO.

I'm not a gamer that sits for hours upon hours behind the screen as I have to fit in my gaming time between my real life responsibilities and that is a major factor in the MMO I choose to be suitable for me.

My reviews in 1 sentence:

STAR WARS GALAXIES - Was an excellent game until they changed the combat system and method of attaining Jedi status however easy to lose time online to this if your a Star Wars fan.

CALL OF DUTY (Any iteration) - Excellent quick burst of Shoot 'em up fun made all the better when played with a regular group of team mates - can become repetitive if you don't vary your map library.

FINAL FANTASY 11 - Do not play if you cannot sit being the PC for less than 1 hour and also do not play if you plan to play solo - Party orientated all the way.

TABULA RASA - Interesting concept but poorly executed, confusing to play and the player base is generally unsocial.

EVE - Boredom squared but if you liked Elite then worth the cash.

AGE OF CONAN - Very pretty but extremely shallow, especially in the PvP front, ganking is rife with no real restrictions whatso ever to allow those levelling to survive.

WOW - Still undeniably one of the best out there, fun to play solo as well as in groups - I never saw the raiding side of the game because that means sitting for 3 hours plus in one session.

LOTRO - Very pretty, reasonable to good quest lines and good crafting elements but I found it a little too slow pace for me, especially in pvp.

EVERQUEST 2 - Very good game, fun but also good mechanics for the RPG player, excellent crafting system and pretty good pvp too.

So thats the MMO's I have tried, all of which I gave a minimum of 2 months to prove their worth...out of the above EQ2 and WOW were the most 'short play' friendly MMORPGs.

On to WAR

For the PvP fanatic this game has it all right off the bat I'll bullet point the best points....

Every class is reasonably balanced with severe weaknesses to certain other classes as well as strengths.

Group play is open in that you can automatically join a group in your area without having to request invitations.

Varied classes and reasonably good crafting setup without being too difficult.

Equipment and Loot is very balanced and does not necissarily reward the player who can spend 100 hours online to attain the best of the best.

Twinking doesn't exist (Being able to kit out your character with hard to attain equipment to make them over powered at lower levels.

PvP is fast and rewarding.

Some elements of questing are open and not all quests require you to start at A and finish at B, you can start, leave, join half way through and still gain rewards (known as Public Quests).

You are boosted to a reasonable level in PvP environments if you have not yet reached that level to give you a fair chance.

No ganking allowed by very high level chars (PvP is kept within 4 level blocks).

Overall so far since release this is a welcome change and is light enough to play casually and even 10 minutes online will net you some decent gameplay and XP.

Hope this helps out

Latest Threads