I need a medical opinion please

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by syledis, Jan 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My wife just received a call from our Doctor saying our 8 year old son has to go for a sweat test to check for Cystic Fibrosis. His symptoms are:

Recurrent chest infection with green mucus being coughed up, maybe only a spoonful, he has taken antibiotics which help for a short while then it flares up again. hey reckon he had pneumonia last winter.

Asthma type symptoms which an inhaler controls, but this is infrequent, maybe once every 2 months

recently been a bit sweaty but not much

If this is the wrong place i apologise but iam away from home and worried sick. The more i read the internet the more it looks like it but i know a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.Thanks for your help.

2. My advice?...Don't do this to yourself. Our circumstances are different I know, you are away from home and that's adding to your anxiety.

I spent 5 hours with my 7 year old son in A&E on Christmas Eve, with symtoms they reassured me could be nothing at all, or something needing further investigations. Oh how we need protecting from ourselves, because the first thing I did when I got home was to Google his symptoms and what came up frightened the bejasus out of me!!, but I looked at two possibilities and suddenly could see how irrational I was being and realised that even if those are similar there is a reason these Doctors train for seven years and don't simply Google for a diagnosis. Its perfectly natural that you are shitting yourself, we all do, but your wife is holding it together on the surface too.

Wait for the results then take it on, whatever it is. DON'T GOOGLE FFS

Good luck :)

3. If your son had Cystic Fibrosis, it would have been discovered years ago as the symptoms become apparent soon after birth. The MOs are just doing the usual start at A and go to Z of Laboratory tests to try and diagnose your sons ailments. Try not to worry, what is ever causing these recurrent they will find out but as for CF...........

4. Thanks for the advice,
    I have stopped looking at the web for Info as it was making things worse.
    He is having a sweat test , CT scan and a brush border test in a week or two as he has a persistent Haemopholous Influenza that antibiotics won't shift.

Sorry if i seemed a bit panicked in my original post but i am away from home and you never realise just how much they mean to you unttil something like this happens. I cant even look at a picture of him right now without having tears in my eyes.

Cheers

5. Good Luck.

6. Best of luck 0A. I'm sure he'll be fine. Kids are astonishingly resilient.

7. I wish him a speedy recovery

8. At that age I suffered with the same bar the inhaler bit (hardly anybody got asthma back then for some reason)
    I did a lot of swimming and was "allergic" to the chlorine too which meant I was constantly snotted up. Symptoms rather like hayfever. (Allergic Rhinitis is the term - I don't think it's like a real allergy, more a reaction)
    I got really bad bronchitis regularly.

Anyway, what I mean is that I had much the same symptoms as a child and they didn't turn out to be anything serious so I'm sure your lad will be fine. Try not to worry yourself sick.

All the best,

Ex STAB

9. Thanks to everyone

10. Just wanted to update everyone who gave me advice and reassurance. My son got the results back to day and he came back negative for Cystic Fibrosis. Thanks again for your help and pm,s they really helped.

11. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Great news, mate. Now................ breatheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :thumleft: