I need a cheap car - ASAP

I am thinking of hiring a small cheap car for a few days - being a ******** I did not choose to have a courtesy car as part of my cover. Any recommendations? Are Enterprise any good?
I did have this thought but north Devon seems pricey in this respect - £60 per day. I hired a C3 for £14 per day near me last week, narrowly missing out on £8 per day for a Fiat 500. It seems they've gone up £15 a day since. Must be the season.

Yes I looked at it myself - why do we have to pay more here for car hire? Surely there is less traffic and therefore less risk of either accident (yes I know) or crime than in other areas?

Also the fairly low population density means that cannot be that much demand, surely?

Get a bubble car. You can buy a brand new small something for less than £150 a month. No MOTs, guarantee forever, tiny fuel bills, get a new one three years down the road. It's the only way.
...and don't forget a balaclava, lest someone recognises you driving the dustbin!

Also the fairly low population density means that cannot be that much demand, surely?
There's your answer. If they don't hire many out, to get the same income, they have to charge more.
I live near an airport. Most tourists don't come by car so hire one. Your tourists already have a car before they get to you.
If you're thinking of hiring, consider hiring from a busy airport area (but probably not from the airport itself). Or look into hiring a van - they're costly near me but might be cheap round your way.

Buying a runner with a long MOT has to be the cheapest option though. Even if it dies after a fortnight, it'll be cheaper than hiring. If you pick one up for £300, you'll still get £70 minimum from the scrap man - so less than the cost of a week's hire.

Last edited:
Now there's an idea...

The scrapper who took my old car explained his criteria - 100,000 miles and 10 years. If the car exceeded both, it would go straight into the crusher and he'd give you £70. If it exceeded one of the criteria, he might find some parts worth stripping off it so he'd give you £100. If the car didn't exceed either, then he might go as high as £350 but he'd probably want at least a month's MOT.

Make your situation known to your local scrap dealers. They may come across something that they'd sell to you "for spares" (i.e. no comeback on them if it packs up) that'll keep you going for a few months.

Now there's an idea...

The scrapper who took my old car explained his criteria - 100,000 miles and 10 years. If the car exceeded both, it would go straight into the crusher and he'd give you £70. If it exceeded one of the criteria, he might find some parts worth stripping off it so he'd give you £100. If the car didn't exceed either, then he might go as high as £350 but he'd probably want at least a month's MOT.

Make your situation known to your local scrap dealers. They may come across something that they'd sell to you "for spares" (i.e. no comeback on them if it packs up) that'll keep you going for a few months.
My local scrappy doesn't do all that jiggery pokery, the motor sits on the weighbridge and you get scrap value, and it ain't much nowadays. Brother put an old (04 plate, 140,000 miles) Rover 75 over the bridge (that's a big car but it was completely knackered) and only got a receipted £140. This was just before Christmas last.

I use the big scrappy around Oxfordshire/Bucks - ASM .

Fill in a simple online form and they get back to you with a agreed price which is always good . They turn up , load it and who get a cheque . Takes less than 2 minutes . Friend got £110 for a little clio at christmas .

Apologies....
Thread drift alert.
I'm green with unbridled envy.
Newly retired mech engineer neighbour (ex Ineos) got himself his "car of his dreams) last week.
Jaguar 3ltr V6 '53 plate oiler. 86k miles on Jaguar FDSH. 100% mint. Cream hide bla bla. Former bank executive chauffeur car, then kept in family after "business" use.
I kid not, you could remove the plates and pop it in a showroom. Not so much as a bonnet chip.
£2,700!
I'm beginning to think...
Always fancied a cheap Jaaaaggg.
Yeah..I know...
Expensive if so much as a tranny or mill oil seal gasket / shocker etc weeps though.
Not sure if one would fit the lock up. It would certainly fill it.
Then SWMBO will fill me in as well.....:(

Last edited:
Apologies....
Thread drift alert.
I'm green with unbridled envy.
Newly retired mech engineer neighbour (ex Ineos) got himself his "car of his dreams) last week.
Jaguar 3ltr V6 '53 plate oiler. 86k miles on Jaguar FDSH. 100% mint. Cream hide bla bla. Former bank executive chauffeur car, then kept in family after "business" use.
I kid not, you could remove the plates and pop it in a showroom. Not so much as a bonnet chip.
£2,700!
I'm beginning to think...
Always fancied a cheap Jaaaaggg.
Yeah..I know...
Expensive if so much as a tranny or mill oil seal gasket / shocker etc weeps though.
Not sure if one would fit the lock up. It would certainly fill it.
Then SWMBO will fill me in as well.....:(
Please tell me it isn't a Mondeo X Type.

They took everything that was good with the Mondeo, got some Scousers to bolt them together badly, and put a Jag badge on them to fool people. It worked in many cases.

If you go for a Mazda 6 of the same age, you'll get the same Mondeo that was improved by little yellow men. Particularly if you get the MPS version.

Good Lord > Mazda6 2.3 MPS 4dr

Please tell me it isn't a Mondeo X Type.

They took everything that was good with the Mondeo, got some Scousers to bolt them together badly, and put a Jag badge on them to fool people. It worked in many cases.

If you go for a Mazda 6 of the same age, you'll get the same Mondeo that was improved by little yellow men. Particularly if you get the MPS version.

Good Lord > Mazda6 2.3 MPS 4dr
No mate..it's "the big chap" Not the Mondeo in drag.
They rot quicker than an aspirin in hot water. Utterly horrid things.
As for that MPS...brutally rapid bargains capable of frightening "standard" Scoobies...if the sills etc are sound. I own two 2 seater 5's. I know Mazdas are very prone to hidden structural rot.
You'd also need to assume they have been hammered senseless at one time in their lives.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I am thinking of hiring a small cheap car for a few days - being a ******** I did not choose to have a courtesy car as part of my cover. Any recommendations? Are Enterprise any good?

Sounds like a winning plan.

My insurance policy gets kept open for sixty days so I can put the replacement on it - obviously the premiums will go up. I thought £274 per year for fully comprehensive seemed pretty good.
Try a local dealer.
I had a deal with a previous outfit, any bad weather I got to hire a car for visits. Reason being if I skipped it, mine was still ready to go. It was only when the weather was seriously bad. MIt snowed, Belfast to Derry in a two litre rwd Scorpio.

The guy I hired the motors of was a local dealer. Dirt cheap, I asked him about a collision waiver. He asked what that was and once told, charged an extra £25 per day (ish). The £25. Cheque was always cashed when I returned the car. He thought it a great idea, then again I never broke any hired cars.

Well I have a hire car booked for tomorrow. I also have spoken to the insurers and will hopefully soon have the settlement and the things I need to do go get a road tax refund.

Next week I can start looking in earnest.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
2004 Clio Dynamique, 1.0 that I'm still doing about three hundred miles in each week. Belter of a wagon, cheap as chips to repair and costs me **** all to run. I've had over a ton of bricks in it, several trees, a full lawn, and a dead hooker and it doesn't stop going. Breezes the snow and ice, handles like a go-kart once you've had a good downhill run to hit 39mph and brakes like a Scotsman spotting £10 on the floor.

Don't care if it gets scratched or bumped and I park next to expect cars just to put the fear into their owners.

Highly recommend them as run about of choice. Finance cars, hah, I shit 'em.

Check out this Renault Clio that I have just found on #motorscouk

Just out of interest, what type of (cheap) cars are the same sort of size as a 1.6 Megane? Focus? Astra?