I need a cheap car - ASAP

Yokel

LE
The logbook has still not arrived from DVLA. Is it possible to contact them - in case there was a problem with the form which I had to complete on a rush. That was two weeks ago.

I am getting used to the car, but it is a bit longer than my previous cars so I am a bit wary of reversing. Would a parking radar make much difference?

endure

GCM
The logbook has still not arrived from DVLA. Is it possible to contact them - in case there was a problem with the form which I had to complete on a rush. That was two weeks ago.

I am getting used to the car, but it is a bit longer than my previous cars so I am a bit wary of reversing. Would a parking radar make much difference?

Best thing go practice in a supermarket car park when it’s empty
loads of white lines to see for turning circles

You can download a V62 form from the DVLA website and apply for the log book. You will need to send part of the old V5 you received when you bought it.
It is worth scanning this before you send it off to ensure that you have some proof of the document numbers etc.

You shouldn't have to pay for this as you haven't yet received the V5.

Yokel

LE
The guy I bought it from could not find the logbook, so I had to go to the Post Office and fill a form in at the rush (hence they might not have been able to read it).

My fault for shite handwriting. I blame the lack of practice.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
The guy I bought it from could not find the logbook, so I had to go to the Post Office and fill a form in at the rush (hence they might not have been able to read it).

My fault for shite handwriting. I blame the lack of practice.
Did you buy it from a dealer?

Yokel

LE
Did you buy it from a dealer?

A used car dealer. He has always been on top of the paperwork before, but he has been ill in this last year - very. Also it is entirely possible that the machine could not read my hurried scribbling. Hopefully a real person would.

Last edited:
I've had that before, a dealer whocouldnt find the paperwork so I had to send off for the V5. The upside of it was the DVLA kept on messing up how to pay them for processing the form.
I had paid for road tax and the change of ownership fees on the same cheque and they sent it back as they needed it as two payments. They then didn't tax the car for me as the ownership document wasn't in my name
By the time they had sorted it out I had had the car for 2 months. I carried copies of all the documentation I had sent them and managed to use the car tax free for those 2 months.

An old Saab 93, one of the best pocket money bangers I ever had. It would do everything I wanted it to do except go past a petrol station.

Yokel

LE
Still no log book. I must remember to contact DVLA. Surely it should have arrived by now? I bet the machine could not read the form as I filled it out in a hurry, and I also bet that DVLA will charge me.

Best to get it sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Still no log book. I must remember to contact DVLA. Surely it should have arrived by now? I bet the machine could not read the form as I filled it out in a hurry, and I also bet that DVLA will charge me.

Best to get it sooner rather than later.

Talking to a mate yesterday - he's a long delay with his. Apparently it's Covid staff shortages.

Ayatollah

Old-Salt

A backup camera can be bought on ebay.
They are a good aid to reversing but shouldn't be relied on. If in doubt get out and look first.

Yokel

LE
Still not logbook, but DVLA must have recorded the details as I have just received a letter from the Police, informing me of their intention to take proceedings for do 38mph in a 30mph zone and getting caught on camera.

I do noty think it was me though....

Still not logbook, but DVLA must have recorded the details as I have just received a letter from the Police, informing me of their intention to take proceedings for do 38mph in a 30mph zone and getting caught on camera.

Check that it's not a scam.

anglo

LE
The quality of the printing on the letter was appalling, and it was accompanied by a note saying that if I could not read it I should phone xxxxx xxxxxx!

Hmmmmm!
It's a scam.

CachedImage.axd.jpg

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer

Were you where they claim at that time?

Did they enclose a photograph?

Yokel

LE
Were you where they claim at that time?

At home. It is possible my father had borrowed the car that day but something does not add up. I might e-mail the Police just in case.

No picture - do they normally enclose one?

Last edited:

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
At home. It is possible my father had borrowed the car that day but something does not add up. I might e-mail the Police just in case.

No picture - do they normally enclose one?
They do normally. Best to have a word with the Police...

Latest Threads