Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need a cheap car - ASAP

I think I paid £600 or so for my car (yes I know I will have stated the exact figure on here when I got it), so why has the insurance company sent me documents saying that I have to pay over £4500 for a year of fully comprehensive insurance? Has someone misplaced a decimal point?

The brakes have had a few hundred quids worth of work done lately.
Bloody hell! My 22 year old son only pays £500 PA fully comp with legal cover, business cover and recovery cover for a 1.4 Renault Mégane.

Yokel

LE
It seems my current insurer wants to charge thousands due to an open claim - the one where I was not driving and had not taken possession of the car. I told them I had a cheaper quote, but the most they would knock of was a hundred quid or so.

I wonder if sending the renewal quote just a few days before the due date is deliberate?

endure

GCM
I wonder if sending the renewal quote just a few days before the due date is deliberate?
No it's standard practice. They all send renewal quotes out a week or so before it's due.

It seems my current insurer wants to charge thousands due to an open claim - the one where I was not driving and had not taken possession of the car. I told them I had a cheaper quote, but the most they would knock of was a hundred quid or so.

Go with someone cheaper. With your luck you just know you'll be needing a new motor within 6 months anyway!

Yokel

LE
I am not paying over four thousand quid to insure a car with a value of less than five hundred! No way.

You are right about the possibility of needing a replacement - the MOT had been postponed (was due in July) and it does make odd noises and vibrations.

Yokel

LE
Car insurance now changed - still not entirely happy with paying about twice as much as I did a year ago, but there is not much I could do - three claims in two years, and I did scratch some BMW driver's bumper in Tescos car park in May.....

Tyk

LE
Bloody hell! My 22 year old son only pays £500 PA fully comp with legal cover, business cover and recovery cover for a 1.4 Renault Mégane.

Your postcode can make a monumental difference to insurance price, if I was to insure my car at my son's place less than a mile away, I'd save about £200 or roughly 50%. Both houses are in HX postcodes, just a different number.

Re Insurance, it's always worth calling your existing insurer after they send out the renewal quotes. Stupid, I know but they do not discount on the previous years costs automatically. I was with Direct Line last year and the renewals this year were £500 quid up on each car with no apparent reason. I called them to cancel and was put through to a very nice lady who was at home on lockdown and ended up getting fully comp insurance for £200 less per car that we paid last year.
If you want to talk rip off insurance, my pet insurance this year was £1200, although I'll be claiming £600 back in meds for the last year, it still stings but I know full well the cost of vet treatments if you're not insured.

With regards to my wife’s and my cars: Admiral wouldn’t budge by more than £20 on my E-Klasse, so I went elsewhere, Aviva offered a £140 reduction on my wife’s 330d GT - so we both went elsewhere.

I got my insurance down from £750 (ish) to £401.81, I then got my wife’s insurance down from just over £1,130 to £459.06.

We’ve saved just over 1k, by spending 10 minutes on compare the market.com .

No postcode change, hers sleeps on the drive, whilst mine still gets left on the roadside.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I am not paying over four thousand quid to insure a car with a value of less than five hundred! No way.

You are right about the possibility of needing a replacement - the MOT had been postponed (was due in July) and it does make odd noises and vibrations.
You are not paying to insure your heap but for the damage you may cause to other, posh cars! ;)

Yokel

LE
You are not paying to insure your heap but for the damage you may cause to other, German cars! ;)

Corrected for accuracy.

Actually the reason for the quote of thousands is because the claim for when a car was being delivered was still open. The new insurance company disregarded it after I sent them copies of e-mails relating to the day it was crunched, and I got a full refund.

Yokel

LE
Bangernomics strikes again. The bloke who I take the car to has looked at it before trying to have it MOT tested. FUBAR - door seals need welding, suspension strut in shite state, fuel pump leaking, as well as lots of minor things.

Arrse! Back to looking... Perhaps best not to buy from a private seller?

Bangernomics strikes again. The bloke who I take the car to has looked at it before trying to have it MOT tested. FUBAR - door seals need welding, suspension strut in shite state, fuel pump leaking, as well as lots of minor things.

Ring your local garage/showroom and ask if they have anything they got in PX that they want rid of?

I bought a £500 Citroen off ebay from a local dealership. It was filthy inside, but after a clean it was fine - gave me 18 months of trouble free motoring before I got rid of it (including about 1000 miles without an oil filler cap before I noticed).

There's a risk wherever. I would get something common and small, so parts should be plentiful - Fiesta, Corsa, Golf / Lupo etc. Lots of things, if they break, can be fixed with an ebay account, a few quid and a set of spanners.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
If you're paying £500 for a car then it's disposable and you should only expect 1 years life until a serious bill arrives. The depreciation on a decent car is more than £500 per year.

As for cheapies, I'd pay a couple of grand and go for a Yaris / i20 / Swift with low miles. Lots about and the Swift is reliable and easy to fix as well as cheap to run.

1 owner £800

Also I am trying to help my folks with getting a suitable vehicle my Stroke disabled Mother (in wheelchair) can go in. They are skint too.
Won't the Motability Scheme help with that.

My lad got a 04 plate Renault Mégane for £450, ran it for 3 years whilst building his no claims up and saving. He's just treated himself to a 61 plate Vauxhall Meriva for £2500 which he paid cash, it's a similar colour to my Honda Civic. ;)
Screenshot_20210202_101030.jpg

I think I paid £600 or so for my car (yes I know I will have stated the exact figure on here when I got it), so why has the insurance company sent me documents saying that I have to pay over £4500 for a year of fully comprehensive insurance? Has someone misplaced a decimal point?

The brakes have had a few hundred quids worth of work done lately.
I once got quoted best part of a grand for a 1L, 20 ishyr old renault 5, I could buy for 50 quid wanted a cheap runabout for a few months.

I got a quote for about half that on a V6 Mondeo

All to do with how often they were nicked in the local area.

Also got quoted a stupidly high figure for a S3 SWB 2.1/4 Petrol -- because said company classed anything over 2 Litres as high performance - Stop laughing at the back - youre probably thinking much the same as I did - lines of having a Giraffe, are you actually fmiliar with a S3 Landie etc

Latest Threads