Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need a cheap car - ASAP

Mattb

LE
If all you need is "a car" then simply decide how big you need the Toyota to be, and find one with a half-decent service history.

PS cars that are pretending not to be Toyotas, like a Peugeot 107, are fine too.

I had a similar quote from Saga a few years back. Having just reached qualifying age with max NCB and no accidents for 30 years, I expected a bargain. I phoned them to ask what the quote should have been and was told take it or leave it. I went elsewhere and paid about £400 (with business insurance, legal cover and various extras).

I get the impression that the companies have a monthly quota after which they just get silly.

anglo

LE
I will phone them up first of all because it sounds like a massive f*** up - decimal point in the wrong place? I was grumpy about paying £57 per month as that included the admin charge of when I needed a new motor after a timing belt failure, and then got another charge for changing it again when the delivery driver crashed the replacement, and I had to find another one.
Are you some kind of doom day machine, or just an unlucky Ba stard ,
or maybe a Jonah,
You should make friends with someone who knows a bit about cars and take
him with you when car buying
I got fully comp insurance for £220 and I'm 78 years young

wheel

LE
or maybe a Jonah,
Ours is £260 for a four year old Golf GTDI

Yokel

LE
or maybe a Jonah,

At the start of the year I was paying something like £32 per month - not bad considering I had crunched a previous car. I expected it to have gone up a bit - but tenfold? That is not steep, that is vertical.

What possible justification is there? I am a low mileage driver, out in the sticks, the car is usually parked on a driveway at night, I have no points on my licence.....

At the start of the year I was paying something like £32 per month - not bad considering I had crunched a previous car. I expected it to have gone up a bit - but tenfold? That is not steep, that is vertical?
Have you thought of changing your user name to Lucky?

anglo

LE
At the start of the year I was paying something like £32 per month - not bad considering I had crunched a previous car. I expected it to have gone up a bit - but tenfold? That is not steep, that is vertical.

What possible justification is there? I am a low mileage driver, out in the sticks, the car is usually parked on a driveway at night, I have no points on my licence.....
I was with one broker for 30 years, every year I looked round for quotes I couldn't beat his quote,
then the brokers were taken over and the quotes by the new lot were frecking stupid,
I ended up going with LV this year

Re Insurance, it's always worth calling your existing insurer after they send out the renewal quotes. Stupid, I know but they do not discount on the previous years costs automatically. I was with Direct Line last year and the renewals this year were £500 quid up on each car with no apparent reason. I called them to cancel and was put through to a very nice lady who was at home on lockdown and ended up getting fully comp insurance for £200 less per car that we paid last year.
If you want to talk rip off insurance, my pet insurance this year was £1200, although I'll be claiming £600 back in meds for the last year, it still stings but I know full well the cost of vet treatments if you're not insured.

Yokel

LE
I was going to phone the insurer and ask for an explanation as I assumed that someone had made a mistake - finger trouble. However my brother suggests trying the comparison sites for quotes first. From memory you just go to the site and put your details in, and it comes up with companies and prices.

I mean £4500+ is a total joke.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I had a similar quote from Saga a few years back. Having just reached qualifying age with max NCB and no accidents for 30 years, I expected a bargain. I phoned them to ask what the quote should have been and was told take it or leave it. I went elsewhere and paid about £400 (with business insurance, legal cover and various extras).

I get the impression that the companies have a monthly quota after which they just get silly.

A few years ago I had a transit minibus (most of the seats taken out)
I got a quote for the insurance from one company for third party only . I can't remember what it was exactly but I seem to remember it being around the 2k mark.
He checked it against fully comp and it was around the 400 mark.

neither of us could work out what the hell was going on with that

I hit 50 this year and as I didn't have much to do in lockdown decided to see what goodies Saga could offer me at very nice rate.
The answer was, pretty much nothing that I couldn't get much cheaper elsewhere.
I have no idea why they charge so much when they marketed themselves as a company that will get better prices over a range of products for the over 50's.

why has the insurance company sent me documents saying that I have to pay over £4500 for a year of fully comprehensive insurance?
This is a strong indicator that you don't fit into the categories they want to insure, so rather than saying "no", they send a quote for a stupid premium.

I hit 50 this year and as I didn't have much to do in lockdown decided to see what goodies Saga could offer me at very nice rate.
The answer was, pretty much nothing that I couldn't get much cheaper elsewhere.
I have no idea why they charge so much when they marketed themselves as a company that will get better prices over a range of products for the over 50's.
Particularly annoying as I resolved the leaky windows on their HQ building only a couple of years earlier. There's gratitude for you.

Yokel

LE
I am currently trying to sort it out. I have a much lower quote (via GoCompare) and the company is now considering the fact that it was not my fault that a delivery driver crashed whilst delivering a car to me in February

Will the quote be held for a few days? I did want to chat to my brother about it - hopefully this evening.

I am currently trying to sort it out. I have a much lower quote (via GoCompare) and the company is now considering the fact that it was not my fault that a delivery driver crashed whilst delivering a car to me in February

Will the quote be held for a few days? I did want to chat to my brother about it - hopefully this evening.
They should honour the quote for 10-30 days, depending on the insurer.

Have a read of https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance1/ then follow their advice. It is worth trying all of the comparison sites (Moneysaving expert recommend starting with Moneysupermarket, then Confused dot com).

Latest Threads