Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need a cheap car - ASAP

Yokel

LE
On Wednesday I was driving along in my faithful old Megane when I experienced a braking mishap and crunched into the car in front of me. We were both able to continue until there was a layby - maybe a couple of hundred metres. Neither the other driver or I were hurt, although we were both a bit shocked. We took pictures and exchanged details, and then she drove off, whilst I awaited the AA. After paying for the MOF, four new tyres, and a new Starter motor, road tax last week, and other things, I was less than happy.

AA repair guy took one look and said it would need Relay. Fair enough, so I sort out where I want to taken. After waiting rather a long time the Relay guy turns up, and examines the damage. Despite being a low speed impact the front end was extensively crumpled - and he expressed the opinion that it was a write off. But he did recover it the the place I used to get it repaired.

I phoned the insurer yesterday morning and talked through everything, they will deal with recovery and scrappage. The guy on the phone suggested a value of £800, of course they is the issue of the £250 excess. He also suggested that they will keep the policy open so a replacement vehicle can go on that account - of course with adjusted premiums. I also hope to get most of the road tax refunded as I only paid it last week.

I am a bit Harry Skinters at the moment, but really do need to have a motor. My brother suggested looking on E-bay. I have never used E-bay for anything, so am not at all sure about using it for looking for a car.

Has anyone got any helpful advice?

Got a Kio Rio, 14 plate only 6k 2nd hand, £30 a year tax and £30 a week to fill up.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I preferred autotrader for my cheap (and often shit) cars.

What do you need the car to do? small cheap to run? massive load carrying capability?

Guntree but avoid the trade sellers . Or Marketplace on Facebook if your on there . Both are good places to find bargains .

Even in Oxford its good - A 2003 320i bmw diesel , 2 owners 104k £850 as a example .

Should be plenty of little engined Jap cars for £500

Yokel

LE
Got a Kio Rio, 14 plate only 6k 2nd hand, £30 a year tax and £30 a week to fill up.

Thanks for the prompt reply, but I was thinking of something really really cheap.

I preferred autotrader for my cheap (and often shit) cars.

What do you need the car to do? small cheap to run? massive load carrying capability?

A 1.6 litre Megane was about right for me - I am six foot two. I have no need to do hundreds and hundreds of miles, but get to the shops, going to and from work, and a trip of sixty maybe once a week or so miles each way. I live in rural Devon.

Not sure about helping the folks.....

I wonder how much the insurers will offer? I just cannot believe I had a crunch - I was driving sensibly in broad daylight, the brakes had been working perfectly well until thnat moment and BANG. Not happy.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Golf? Mondeo? both can be got cheaply and generally keep on going and going.

Tattieheed

Clanker
Facebook car pages can hide complete pigs of cars; make sure you check it out well beforehand. They account for a lot of recovered stolen cars at the minute

I've used eBay to buy cars in the past. I always look for something with twelve months MOT on it. That in my view justifies the risk of bidding and winning on a car that you haven't actually seen. I buy old bangers. Cheap on insurance (£20 a month) and if it does conk out, it's not an arm and a leg to replace it. The last car I brought was up for £500 with a 12 month ticket on it. When I went to pick it up, the ticket had 10 months on it, not 12 months. I knocked the price down to £360. That was nearly four years ago and I'm still running about in it.

The biggest problem I've found with eBay is when you successfully get a bargain and then the seller contacts you to say there was a fault on the car and he's trying to get it fixed but it's going to be a week or two before the car is sorted out so he's going to give you your money back. What he's really saying is that he's disappointed that you managed to get the car so cheaply and someone has offered him more money for it so he's selling it to them instead. I've had two dealers knocked off eBay for pulling that one on me.

I go for old bangers because a mate of mine has this beautiful Jaguar in perfect condition but after a service where the garage put the wrong oil in it, he had to pay £6000 for a new engine. He couldn't prove the garage had knackered it by sticking the wrong oil in it despite one of the mechanics admitting as much to him in private. I thought sod that.

I go for the smaller models. I've had a couple of Citroen Saxo's. They are surprisingly reliable if a little basic. I live in West London and have been down to Devon and up to Sheffield in the one I currently have without any problems. I have an old army mate who lives in Eastern Europe and visits the UK fairly regularly. He's from Oxford way and we're usually his stopover for a few beers and a laugh on his way back abroad. I always run him to Gatwick to get his flight home the following day and the old banger always get's the job down.

It won't break any speed records and there's no point trying to beat any other motors from the lights as they turn to green but I'm too old for that crap anyway.

So if it looks reasonable in the pictures and it's being sold in full working order with a years MOT on it, I'd go for it if I needed a car at short notice and at the right price.

Last edited:

joshinglens

Old-Salt
If you are after real cheap ebay us great there is a certain amount of buyer Porte tion. Look at the sellers feedback. Most cars run nowadays I paid 200 for a clio for the SWMBO 4 years ago just have to put new pass on this mot and that's it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yokel

LE
How much can you spend?

Not sure but hundreds not thousands.

As I do not use ebay or Facebook or anything my brother and father can help - in fact my brother said he would speak to a mate who does something to do with cars.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've used eBay to buy cars in the past. I always look for something with twelve months MOT on it. That in my view justifies the risk of bidding and winning on a car that you haven't actually seen. I buy old bangers. Cheap on insurance (£20 a month) and if it does conk out, it's not an arm and a leg to replace it. The last car I brought was up for £500 with a 12 month ticket on it. When I went to pick it up, the ticket had 10 months on it, not 12 months. I knocked the price down to £360. That was nearly four years ago and I'm still running about in it.

The biggest problem I've found with eBay is when you successfully get a bargain and then the seller contacts you to say there was a fault on the car and he's trying to get it fixed but it's going to be a week or two before the car is sorted out so he's going to give you your money back. What he's really saying is that he disappointed that you managed to get the car so cheaply and someone has offered him more money for it so he's selling it to them instead. I've had two dealers knocked off eBay for pulling that one on me.

I go for old bangers because a mate of mine has this beautiful Jaguar in perfect condition but after a serve where the garage put the wrong oil in it, he had to pay £6000 for a new engine. He couldn't prove the garage had knackered it by sticking the wrong oil in it despite one of the mechanics admitting as much to =him in private. I thought sod that.

I go for the smaller models. I've had a couple of Citroen Saxo's. They are surprisingly reliable if a little basic. I live in West London and have been down to Devon and up to Sheffield in the one I currently have without any problems. I have an old army mate who lives in Eastern Europe and visits the UK fairly regularly. He's from Oxford way and we're usually his stopover for a few beers and a laugh on his way back abroad. I always run him to Gatwick to get his flight home the following day and the old banger always get's the job down.

It won't break any speed records and there's no point trying to beat any other motors from the lights as they turn to green but I'm too old for that crap anyway.

So if it looks reasonable in the pictures and it's being sold in full working order with a years MOT on it, I'd go for it if I needed a car at short notice and at the right price.

Apart from the mention of Shiteroen I don't disagree.

I did find my citroens very comfortable, the most comfortable things I've ever waited for recovery in. Depite doing a lot of work to them I ended up sitting, waiting for recovery in them a lot.

I would agree with a number of the other posters. If you are looking for cheap stuff, ebay can be ok, but Autotrader is full of stuff for under £1k and just filter those that are near to you.

Look for 12 months ticket and, IMHO you need to be looking at those cars that fleets use, Focus/Astra/Mondeo etc, they can be pretty cheap, not have astronomical mileages on them, but, most importantly, can be pretty cheap running.

That said, if you want really cheap, go to a local auction. Look for the same sort of cars, again with 12 months (or so) MOT (there will be some, honest) that have been traded in to a dealer...yes, you can get some dogs, but the same applies to private, you ain't got much comeback either way. At least at auction you will have some protection against stolen etc.....

I know a guy that does exactly that, he buys cheap at auction (never spends more than around £350/400, and runs them until the ticket runs out. MOT's them and if it's more than a few hundred to repair/put through, he sticks em on autotrader for £100 as spares or repair. They always sell and in the meantime he gets another....he reckons it's cheaper than any other way of doing it.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Whenever my MK4 Golf finally bites the dust I am very intrigued indeed with the idea of the Lexus IS200, the first model, you can easily get them for under £1k.
A Japanese BMW imitation with bulletproof 1990's Toyota build quality, when they were at their absolute peak, equal to Benz at their acme.
A bit thirsty for a 2 litre mind you but as well built a car as you'll find and the reliability should make up for that.
Or maybe another MK4, the present '99 Gti turbo I have Will. Not. Die. and still does over 120... (Or so I'd imagine.) The 1.9 Tdi seems to last pretty damn well.

Last edited:
Look round and see what old cars are still driving around in their multitudes. This will lead you to the Xsara Picasso as an obvious choice.

My 2.0 Hi SX, 15 years old, 200,000 miler was performing nicely when I parted with it for £70 to a collector of cherished cars (aka scrap dealer), having foolishly taken the advice of my garage ("it's getting on a bit, something's bound to go wrong soon") and considered that if it went tits up, I'd have problems at work.

Running at 55+mpg minimum on the original clutch and battery and the only repair in the 9 years I had it having involved the replacement of the common rail, it was certainly the most economical car I've ever owned. It could take 3m lengths of wood and flat-pack wardrobes with ease, these being my specifications for internal space. Despite its age, the only rust was on the tow bar.

Contrast that with my replacement - 4 years old, had it four months and just replaced the clutch at a cost of £1200+.

Yup, find a late, comparatively low-mileage, Xsara Picasso. (It will also have a hand brake, spare wheel and loads of hidden storage spaces).

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not sure but hundreds not thousands.

As I do not use ebay or Facebook or anything my brother and father can help - in fact my brother said he would speak to a mate who does something to do with cars.

From the auctions, local paper or Autotrader:

Hyundai i10
Suzuki Swift
Toyota Yaris or Corolla
Honda Civic or Jazz
Seat Leon

On Wednesday I was driving along in my faithful old Megane when I experienced a braking mishap and crunched into the car in front of me. We were both able to continue until there was a layby - maybe a couple of hundred metres. Neither the other driver or I were hurt, although we were both a bit shocked. We took pictures and exchanged details, and then she drove off, whilst I awaited the AA. After paying for the MOF, four new tyres, and a new Starter motor, road tax last week, and other things, I was less than happy.

AA repair guy took one look and said it would need Relay. Fair enough, so I sort out where I want to taken. After waiting rather a long time the Relay guy turns up, and examines the damage. Despite being a low speed impact the front end was extensively crumpled - and he expressed the opinion that it was a write off. But he did recover it the the place I used to get it repaired.

I phoned the insurer yesterday morning and talked through everything, they will deal with recovery and scrappage. The guy on the phone suggested a value of £800, of course they is the issue of the £250 excess. He also suggested that they will keep the policy open so a replacement vehicle can go on that account - of course with adjusted premiums. I also hope to get most of the road tax refunded as I only paid it last week.

I am a bit Harry Skinters at the moment, but really do need to have a motor. My brother suggested looking on E-bay. I have never used E-bay for anything, so am not at all sure about using it for looking for a car.

Has anyone got any helpful advice?
I got rid of my 14 year old Vauxhall for a ford B-max 63 plate last august, £30 road tax, 48 Mpg Appx, 3 cylinder, turbo boost, goes like a stabbed rat, and on the local motorway I had it cruising an 80, no problems, and comes with all the modern bells and whistles, from a MAIN DEALER, So the guarantees are kosher. If you buy from a private seller, or from E-Bay, or from a motoring magazine, you are taking a chance. Main dealers are tricky to haggle with, and can be a bit overwhelming, but the vehicles are all in perfect running order, MOT'D and a weeks free insurance to get you started.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Don't take 11k cash into a main dealer (snows Toyota Southampton), they'll actually shit themselves. It's hilarious

Corsa or Polo look in the ads in the free papers/metro/friday ad etc, loads of bargains to be had.
But if you feel you want class then Romans International will help you with a few old bangers!

Latest Threads