I made a complaint to the Police. WTF is going on?

I’m after an opinion on something, from a serving or former police officer. I can’t go into details on the internet, so this is necessarily vague.

I was the victim of a minor scam which I suspect was a theft. This happened to be in an area in which I have some relevant technical experience. Mr or Mrs Average might not have realised how they had been scammed and the scam has probably been carried out hundreds of times..

So, being a conscientious citizen, I reported it to the local police. My theory was that they might have a look, and either;

1) give me a Crime Reference Number, collect some more evidence (for there was much more available) and pass it on to the CPS or

2) give me a Crime Reference Number and do nothing more, as they do with numerous minor offences.

I was wrong. The police service won’t provide a CRN.

My understanding is that the police are obliged to provide a CRN when a report is made, regardless of whether or not they think the incident is an offence; see the flow diagram on P8 of the Ministry of Justice’s ‘Code of Practice for Victims of Crime’. The deciding factor here is (I think) whether the victim thinks it was a crime. The CRN is a clerical stage acknowledging the report, similar to receiving a receipt in a shop.

Should the details of a complaint be put on the Police National Computer system at that stage, for the attention of other Police Services that might have an interest in the suspects? I don’t know how this process is meant to work.

I’ve looked at what I think is the relevant statute (Theft Act ) and I’m fairly sure it was a theft (but I’m not a Lawyer, etc).

The Code of Practice P22 clause 2.2 says victims are entitled to be informed of the reasons for a decison not to prosecute. I got a letter from the Police justifying their inaction, but they’d rewritten and/or ignored my complaint to justify ignoring it. I’d complained about A & B, their letter only mentions Y and Z. They have never made any mention of the essential details I'd reported that had made it a crime.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what might be going on here? Is this simply routine but dishonest massaging of the statistics of reported crimes or could it be some corrupt practices?

Last edited:
One wonders, in this day and age where Police Forces state publicly they will not attend house thefts / vandalisms/ B.O.P.s, or Joe Public calls to report a break-in or incident in their locale or home to be told it's not of a certain priority...what it is you actually expect?
It's not good, I agree but it seems to be where we are these days.

There was a worrying prog on telly last night addressing this very issue.
Depending on which region you live in, up to 50% of crime is not even investigated and goes straight into file 13.

mrdude

War Hero
Police don't want to act on crime - yet are only too happy to arrest a vigilante. Also they will happily arrest and prosecute someone downloading/streaming movies/music.

The system of law in the UK is a joke now, just look at all these Asian grooming gangs - that got away with their crimes for years, because the law/police are utterly inadequate - It's not the police's fault, they have got that much paperwork and bullshit to contend with that thy can't do their jobs effectively anymore.

One wonders, in this day and age where Police Forces state publicly they will not attend house thefts / vandalisms/ B.O.P.s, or Joe Public calls to report a break-in or incident in their locale or home to be told it's not of a certain priority...what it is you actually expect?
It's not good, I agree but it seems to be where we are these days.
Well, compliance with the Code of Practice for Victims of Crime? Or is it recognised to be a work of fiction, published only to keep the plebs content and I'm getting too uppity by asking the police to do their job?

We shouldn't have to discuss it, a suspected crime is reported and a CRN should be given as an unavoidable reflex reaction. If you suffer a house theft, vandalism, etc., they'll give you a CRN and usually do no more. What is a BOP?

So, why won't they give me a CRN? Read the Code of Practice. How can they refuse to provide a CRN?

If you report, let's say, that your car has been keyed you might expect some explanation as to why they won't do anything. Being told the right hand brake light is defective isn't an explanation (a ludicrous analogy, but the nearest I can come up with).

Google your 'scam' might find out it happened to more than just you, plus info on what to do.
It does, I did, I got nowhere. I'm being pissed about by the police and I'd like to know why because I really don't know.

Maple

LE
The force I worked for automatically raised a CAD number when an incident was reported regardless of what actions were taken and that could be passed on to insurance companies and/or the council. Contact them on the non-emergency number and ask to speak to the call centre supervisor - could be a gash operator

I made a complaint to the IOPC, I got nowhere, I still haven't got a CRN,I still haven't got a reason why I haven't got a CRN.

I was told by the IOPC I'd received a "thorough rationale" for the police decision. I really haven't . I wrote back saying that, they've ignored it.

The force I worked for automatically raised a CAD number when an incident was reported regardless of what actions were taken and that could be passed on to insurance companies and/or the council.
CAD number?

Contact them on the non-emergency number and ask to speak to the call centre supervisor - could be a gash operator
That's what I thought, so I wrote to the Chief Constable at an early stage. I still didn't get a CRN or any sensible explanation.

I made a complaint to the IOPC, I got nowhere, I still haven't got a CRN,I still haven't got a reason why I haven't got a CRN.

I was told by the IOPC I'd received a "thorough rationale" for the police decision. I really haven't . I wrote back saying that, they've ignored it.
https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Documents/Complaint_forms/A_guide_to_the_system.pdf

https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Documents/Complaint_forms/A_guide_to_the_system.pdf

Maple

LE
CAD number?

That's what I thought, so I wrote to the Chief Constable at an early stage. I still didn't get a CRN or any sensible explanation.
Memory fade, Computer Assisted.......something, not every force uses the same system but their 'crime numbers' will usually be something that indicates force, date, incident number, so an example would be SC20180210-543

EDIT - Computer Assisted Dispatch, CAD
Police CAD

they will come round mob handed if you report that you are beating the crap out of the burglar, ne'edowell or what ever with a tire iron.

I’m after an opinion on something, from a serving or former police officer. I can’t go into details on the internet, so this is necessarily vague.

I was the victim of a minor scam which I suspect was a theft. This happened to be in an area in which I have some relevant technical experience. Mr or Mrs Average might not have realised how they had been scammed and the scam has probably been carried out hundreds of times..

So, being a conscientious citizen, I reported it to the local police. My theory was that they might have a look, and either;

1) give me a Crime Reference Number, collect some more evidence (for there was much more available) and pass it on to the CPS or

2) give me a Crime Reference Number and do nothing more, as they do with numerous minor offences.

I was wrong. The police service won’t provide a CRN.

My understanding is that the police are obliged to provide a CRN when a report is made, regardless of whether or not they think the incident is an offence; see the flow diagram on P8 of the Ministry of Justice’s ‘Code of Practice for Victims of Crime’. The deciding factor here is (I think) whether the victim thinks it was a crime. The CRN is a clerical stage acknowledging the report, similar to receiving a receipt in a shop.

Should the details of a complaint be put on the Police National Computer system at that stage, for the attention of other Police Services that might have an interest in the suspects? I don’t know how this process is meant to work.

I’ve looked at what I think is the relevant statute (Theft Act ) and I’m fairly sure it was a theft (but I’m not a Lawyer, etc).

The Code of Practice P22 clause 2.2 says victims are entitled to be informed of the reasons for a decison not to prosecute. I got a letter from the Police justifying their inaction, but they’d rewritten and/or ignored my complaint to justify ignoring it. I’d complained about A & B, their letter only mentions Y and Z. They have never made any mention of the essential details that had made it a crime.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what might be going on here? Is this simply routine but dishonest massaging of the statistics of reported crimes or could it be some corrupt practices?

Hmm.. it would appear that our less than wonderful police "FARCE" sorry service is trying to put a better face on its statistics by not recording many complaints. Police failing to record thousands of crimes including violence and domestic abuse, watchdog finds

I am aware that monthly crime states were often 'doctored' years ago, I worked for a County Force, and the monthly crime stats were a big thing in the IT Department towards the end of each month, to make varous divisions look good. The only thing that was not fiddled was the dectection adn crime clear up stats which were always low.

Latest Threads