I love my motorcycle

I remember living in hot countries as a padbrat where houses had no aircon. It was no big deal as you were always in the heat, and as you say you acclimatise.......they used to reckon on six weeks after moving over from Europe.

I used to go up to the jungle in Malaysia as a kid, it was never a big deal. With the cheapness and easy installability of AC systems now we have become spoiled and used to our comforts.
I am told that room temperature is now on average 4C hotter than in 1945.
Certainly in my 5 months in the FI end of '82 by the end of it we had aclimatised so that for the first week back in Colchester we walked down town in t shirts.

Not sure this is 100% the right place to post this but what the hell - this weekend I visited the ABR festival at Ragley Hall, Warwickshire. Basically covering all things Adventure motorcycling it was a smashing event and I’d recommend it

Loads of exhibitors, some bike trails and classes and some really good speakers and I met one of my hero’s Elspeth Beard (first British woman to ride around the world) lovely lady

If that’s your sort of thing keep an eye out when it’s back next year

Bill172

Clanker
Ok, i stand here awaiting verbal crucifixion by you lot, but here goes.
I am about to retire and am thinking about getting my first bike and am looking at the Honda Rebel 500.
I don't have a bike licence, but i did ride Cam Ams many years ago in the TA.

Should i go back to my hammock for a snooze or give it a go?

I am about to retire and am thinking about getting my first bike and am looking at the Honda Rebel 500.

As long as it's a three wheeler you'll be fine.

I would get a Enfield 350 or 500 or one of the new modern "classics" as a starter bike, as like older looking / sounding stuff. I am 65 have ridden since 1973 and owned all sorts up to 955 triumph Triples.

But the Rebel is one I noticed as I get more disenchanted with the realities of the pointlessness of many of the bikes folk get in actual terms of the reality out there, when I was mulling getting a "modern" bike.

By all accounts a light, nimble device which should be bombproof, 0-60 is the same as a Subauru Turbo Impreza of old, std. qtr. mile is quicker than an Audi RS4.

Not fast by bike standards, but even a 500cc plodding sub 50 brake cruiser will keep you ahead of 99.99% cars in traffic easily.

That is the reality, a device like this will do most of what you can want and what most people ACTUALLY do out there, I go to ride in's and see guys in their 50's strutting about in 2K's worth of race leathers and helmets then getting on 200bhp bikes and wobbling off down the road like someone who has barely passed their test (in a lot of cases that is the reality).

It's like shooting and "too much gun" and is a bloke thing, you would see people getting a FAC in the 80's and they would rock up with a Mod 29 or Wesson and make loads of noise but hit feck all, when something like a cheap old Mod 10 ex plod and some good handloads would actually teach them a lot and be more fullfilling.

These days I trundle around on either a 1950's single or a Jap 1970's bike which has the performance of a modern 250, never had so much fun in my life, it's like having say a classic Mini, even tooling around at legal speeds feels fast!

Modern big bikes are mental fast, and I have no restraint as come from a pre camera / plod in Consul days and just can't help myself, so now I keep safe but still have a great time.

Royal Enfield Classic 350. Soak up that single cylinder nostalgia.

What the other posters have said.
In my case I have owned 140+mph bikes and great but my present Guzzi 750 ie Breva shows 110 on the clock but 91mph max by the satnav and is more than good enough to tour in Europe.
I know several owners of Enfields and all like them.
It all depends on whether you want to ride the bike or park and pose it.
And 65 is young.

If you succesfully ridden bikes in your youth crack on and buy a modern Triumph twin or a HD , fun to ride but not visciously quick , for those who decide to take up biking in a mid life crisis or latter year , make sure your affairs are in order and life insurance is paid up.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

you will need to take a two part test first

Kawsaki versys 600 is a fine first bike
to be honest most Japanese bikes are fit for purpose
will you be wearing dark shades and black leathers ??

I own exactly the same bike as Javaguzzisti, even 2 up, and I am a porker, it has toured Europe with myself and my nephew, a 6 foot brick shithouse on the back

I guess it all depends on what style of bike you want to ride, the sort of riding you're planning on doing and, to some degree, your frame size and being comfortable on the bike. Does the bike fit. I am also guessing that at your age you don't want to ride around on a race replica dressed like a power ranger. That just shrieks 'middle/old-age crisis'.

It was in the mid-90s that I took my test. I did a 3-day course, having never ridden before. I passed and the following week bought a Honda VFR 750 FL. At no point did I find the CC capacity overwhelming for my first bike, indeed I'd have probably wanted more if I'd got a lower CC bike and, in hindsight, would have been happy on a bigger bike.

Honda VFR 750 FL.jpg

I only kept my bike for a year and haven't ridden since, although I've had that itch for many years to get back on two wheels.

I threw a leg over the Rebel 500 a couple of months back but the bike felt too small for me.

There are plenty of rider reviews for all types of bikes on the tube of you. These are some of the vids I've been looking at.

Honda Rebel 500

At 8.10 he mentions the cover on the right hand side getting in the way. This is something I noticed immediately myself. Just does't feel right and is enough to put me off buying one, even if the bike wasn't too small for me.

Honda Rebel 1100

(@AdminVortex knows exactly where this Triumph dealership is )

A couple on the Triumph Bobber.

The Triumph Bobber | Even More Special Than I Imagined!

2021 Triumph Bobber. Pure. Brutal. Beauty.

Royal Enfield, as already mentioned.

2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor Review. Better Than A Bonneville? A 650cc Modern Classic Motorcycle.

The Royal Enfield Interceptor vs the Triumph Bonneville

Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Review, What Triumph would rather you didn't know!

BSA Gold Star

2022 BSA Gold Star / SPECS & Why it's The Better Choice

The Indian Chief, which I rather like.

Cruiser Perfection? New 2022 Indian Chief Dark Horse Review!

Oh dear, that Rebel thing can't quite decide what it wants to be.

My opinion, not that anyone cares, get yourself a decent adventure style bike in the 500cc'ish bracket.

I like beemers - the F650GS and the 310GS are both good useable machines, as is the early days Triumph scrambler.

I have a Klim Marrakesh jacket which is knitted Cordura rather than woven with full D3 armour.
It is like wearing a shirt and flows air beautifully.
£400.00 and my most comfortable bike jacket ever.

I accidentally came home from the TT with a new set of Scott leathers

Money we'll spent

Another I looked at was the Kawasaki W650 as still had a kickstart, Replaced by the electic only W800 but odd well looked after ones still pop up due to the owner demographic and type.

To me they were one of the best attempts at a retro twin, and (Stahlhelm on) cleaner and more "period correct" looking than even the Triumphs at the front due to no stupid big oil coolers etc, and the fact it had a kicker, being of my age, Bikes look wrong without one!

w650.jpg

Bill172

Clanker
What the other posters have said.
In my case I have owned 140+mph bikes and great but my present Guzzi 750 ie Breva shows 110 on the clock but 91mph max by the satnav and is more than good enough to tour in Europe.
I know several owners of Enfields and all like them.
It all depends on whether you want to ride the bike or park and pose it.
And 65 is young.
There is a Enfield dealer near to me, i shall pop along for a look. Thank you :)

Bill172

Clanker
you will need to take a two part test first

Kawsaki versys 600 is a fine first bike
to be honest most Japanese bikes are fit for purpose
will you be wearing dark shades and black leathers ??

I own exactly the same bike as Javaguzzisti, even 2 up, and I am a porker, it has toured Europe with myself and my nephew, a 6 foot brick shithouse on the back
Definitely not black leathers, they are for indoor use only ;)

I had one of the 900 Triumph Thruxtons and it was the most comfortable bike I've ridden even with the cafe racer bars. It was nimble, not overloaded with needless tech and most of all fun to ride. I regret selling it.

Latest Threads