I love my f**king motorcycle

My bike tried to break my leg this week - luckily my wife was on hand to help me out. The GS usually lives in a mate´s garage about a five minute walk from home. But about once or twice a week, I ride it to work so I park it wedged between my car and a brick wall on my off street parking outside the house. I try to get it really close and then the missus moves the car so I can get out in the morning. The other day I got it really close so it was a real squeeze to get it off the centre stand. I managed to push it forward but my right leg was too close to the stand and got caught by the stand as it sprang up into the stowage position. I was left on one leg trying to support a 250kg motorcycle and with my right leg in agony, whilst yelling through my helmet to my wife to help. I couldn´t move - even if I had dropped the bike it would have done me some serious damage. She was still sat in the car waiting to re-park and it took a minute for her to realise there was something wrong. Eventually she got out and pushed the centre stand down so I could get me leg out. No major damage done except a bit of bruising and I was able to ride off to work but a scary moment during which I did not love my f**king motorcycle!

Just done a little job on my GS. The issued horn is sort of pathetic so I looked for alternatives and found a couple that are around the 70 - 80 quid mark. The major stumbling block in doing a simple one for one swap is the CanBus system running the bike which probably will not allow itself to be violated by aftermarket tat. Therefore you have to pay the wonga for a matched horn and connection hardware to allow it to be wired into the bike.

Then I stumbled across a couple of youtoob videos of blokes changing their standard horn for one off a BMW 5 series. It looked about right, had the right connector and fitted in the same slot. One of the blokes did a decibel test and it came up about 3 decibels louder once fitted. According to what I understand, and I am probably wrong as I never got to grips with db, a 3db increase is a 100% increase in volume.

Anyway, it is done, it fitted, it works, it sounds deeper and louder rather than the pathetic "meeep" noise previously.

The new horn which is the bass/low horn, BMW part #61338381271, cost me $25 delivered.

The old and the new side by side.

Just done a little job on my GS. The issued horn is sort of pathetic so I looked for alternatives and found a couple that are around the 70 - 80 quid mark. The major stumbling block in doing a simple one for one swap is the CanBus system running the bike which probably will not allow itself to be violated by aftermarket tat. Therefore you have to pay the wonga for a matched horn and connection hardware to allow it to be wired into the bike.

Then I stumbled across a couple of youtoob videos of blokes changing their standard horn for one off a BMW 5 series. It looked about right, had the right connector and fitted in the same slot. One of the blokes did a decibel test and it came up about 3 decibels louder once fitted. According to what I understand, and I am probably wrong as I never got to grips with db, a 3db increase is a 100% increase in volume.

Anyway, it is done, it fitted, it works, it sounds deeper and louder rather than the pathetic "meeep" noise previously.

The new horn which is the bass/low horn, BMW part #61338381271, cost me $25 delivered.

I found a scooter horn on my Breva, soon ditched that for a decent pair of matched tooters

Cheers, I have just ordered likewise.

Cheers, I have just ordered likewise.

These new bikes running this Cambus stuff.... All very nice, bet you can't repair it at home. All that phaffing around to get a decent horn. Fookin daft...

I had to give up bikes when my knees gave out, shame but age gets to us all eventually.
A friend of mine is mad keen on bikes, and regularly travels to the IOM to mechanic for a few of the
Privatiers
His sure fire theft protection device, was to embed grips with broken glass and slip them on the. Bike when parked up. He also fitted a sprung spike gadget so that if the device wasn’t switched off the potential thief was in great danger of a seriously damaged arse. Neither device stopped toe-rags from clearing him out of his bikes due to a break in at the garage where they were kept. Whilst there was blood on the floor, he was worried what Plod might say about his diy protection. So simply claimed on the insurance. Beauty of the spike device was that the spikes were covered in filth and detritus so a sever dose of sepsis might well have ensued.

These new bikes running this Cambus stuff.... All very nice, bet you can't repair it at home. All that phaffing around to get a decent horn. Fookin daft...
I’ve had my GS for a couple of months now. And I have come to realise something. I don’t ‘love it’.
It is brilliant, it does everything really, really well and it is probably the best road bike you can buy.
But I don’t love it like I have with so many other bikes I owned.

I’d always want one in my garage, but it is a tool, not a piece of passion.
I’m looking at another bike / project in addition to the GS that I can get my hands dirty and greasy on.

I’ve had my GS for a couple of months now. And I have come to realise something. I don’t ‘love it’.
It is brilliant, it does everything really, really well and it is probably the best road bike you can buy.
But I don’t love it like I have with so many other bikes I owned.

I’d always want one in my garage, but it is a tool, not a piece of passion.
I’m looking at another bike / project in addition to the GS that I can get my hands dirty and greasy on.
My dream project would be a SRM engined BSA A65 in a more modern frame.
There's a guy down in Oz, who runs one in a Suzuki RGV frame, it really is the dog nuts. Now that's not the way I'd want to go. But you get the idea, something light and good handling.

My dream project would be a SRM engined BSA A65 in a more modern frame.
There's a guy down in Oz, who runs one in a Suzuki RGV frame, it really is the dog nuts. Now that's not the way I'd want to go. But you get the idea, something light and good handling.
Yeah I know what you mean, I am on the lookout for an interesting engine (both sounds and looks) that I can squeeze into a good, light frame. I have some GSXR white power forks and some very light 16.5 race wheels that I can put in whatever I decide on.
The engine does not need to be spectacular, 60-90 bhp depending on config / torque.

I really like this TLR as I have a soft spot for them. First big road crash, first fast race crash, first trophy.
0BD556B7-D67E-4660-BB0E-9E6649C570BA.jpeg

Yeah I know what you mean, I am on the lookout for an interesting engine (both sounds and looks) that I can squeeze into a good, light frame. I have some GSXR white power forks and some very light 16.5 race wheels that I can put in whatever I decide on.
The engine does not need to be spectacular, 60-90 bhp depending on config / torque.

I really like this TLR as I have a soft spot for them. First big road crash, first fast race crash, first trophy.
View attachment 403716
Wouldn't you have a bit of a problem with those 16.5s. ie getting legal road tyres to fit? 90 or 100 bhp is plenty enough on a big twin road bike, especially if you've got it set up for bags of torque.

Sort of had the problem with the horn on my old Rocket111, honestly it sounded more like a pathetic road runner.. That got dumped and fitted an HD one.

I have a pair of lorries at work, the Mercedes has a horn that sounds like it comes off a Fiat Panda.
The DAF has a horn directly stolen from the Queen Mary

Guess which one the drivers like playing with?

My shiny black ZZR1400 was delivered on Friday!
ZZR2.jpg

Last edited:
Well, my mate has fallen back in love with riding. You just can't get the bugger off his Hayabusa.
It's bright orange and has been nicknamed ""The Nuclear Tangerine".

I attempted to follow him over to Merthyr in the car. He was already through a bacon roll and a cup of coffee by the time I arrived.