I liked this story

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Adam(KOS), Nov 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lovely! I don't think diving around them is a no-no, but diving into them, having a deko and taking bits is. But is it a war grave seeing as it ran aground?
  2. yes it is
  3. From what I read it was on active service at the time as a mine layer, so I would have thought it was.
  4. Would it mean less if it had ran aground in 1919?

It's not like these guys are grave robbing, they dive there alot and just happen to have found something. They did the decent thing and traced the owner and have brought some joy to his decendents. You can't stop people from diveing wreaks, there would be no where to go around the whole coutnry.
  5. HMS Opal, along with HMS Narborough, ran aground in a snowstorm on 12 January, 1918. He was one of 188 men who perished in the disaster. He had married his sweetheart
  6. I don't disagree with you on the merritts. I'm merely curious to know if on a technicality the war graves law had been broken. So far it seems as they were.
    If there had not been a name on it, would it have still found its way to a museum?
  7. The generally observed rules for diving around wrecks which are designated war graves is that you never penetrate them, nor remove artefacts from them, items on the sea bed around them however is a grey area.

But regardless of what is found the item should be reported to the Reciever of the Wrecks (some gobment post for making sure salvage as it is considered is returned to its owners, and if it has a value ie in the case of the salvage industry that the original owner gets a portion of the sale price). A ring with no names on it is most likely to be left with the diver who found it, although in the case of such an item found on or near a war grave I would presume it would be up to the MOD to make that choice (since no name means the family cant be found it is considered to be MOD property).

Editted to add I have a copy of the relevant legislation at home and will post a link to it later.
  8. Ok not the best source but the lappys playing upReciever of the Wreck

BBC info

The first reading of the legislation cant find the latest version.

Under the 1986 Protection of Military Remains Act, the Secretary of State for Defence has the power to make it illegal to dive on a wreck by officially designating it as a war grave. According to this list HMS Opal is a war grave so maybe the divers should be looked at more closely.
  9. Well I hope he gives himself a severe bollocking. But a nice out come for the family never the less. :D
  10. I prefer to look at the end result rather than technicalities in most cases. So what has happened here? A diver finds a ring on the sea bed and returns it to the relevant familly.

Good on em, I say. A little bit of happiness has been given to a few people and probably a new interest in familly history and maybe a little bit of extra pride.

That is assuming the story is accurate, the ring was found on the sea bed and divers did not interfere with a war grave.