I know this will probably end up in the Science Forum but.....

Since these same apparent results were seen years ago in USA but dismissed as experimental errors, my money is on the same fate for the Cern discoveries.

Since these same apparent results were seen years ago in USA but dismissed as experimental errors, my money is on the same fate for the Cern discoveries.
Do not mess with my fantasies Sir! I demand a FTL vortex opening wristwatch be made this year so as to be affordable for next Christmas.

On serious note, their margin of error is almost as big as the measurable difference so you are probably right. Am I sad for finding it just a bit fascinating / exciting?

I've been telling people for years that Einstein was wrong. Now, get me out of this asylum.

Surely the physicists should be saying that the science is clear and fixed, and that the clear consensus is that nothing can travel faster than light, so we shouldn't even be looking? That's how it works with Global Warming, anyway....

If true, and travel at faster than the speed of light were possible, then perhaps the little green men do come from other star systems.

.......doesn't a stream of Neutrinos going faster than the speed of light in a measurable and consistent manner turn Einstein, his special theory of relativity and most of what we thought we knew about Physics on its ear? Even the boffins that did it are at a loss to explain it
There'll be a queue of boffins lining up for funding to repeat the experiment, another shedload churning out theories to explain the anomaly if it isn't an error and someone will become famous when an experiment is devised that confirms their theory. ISTR Einstein presented his theory to explain some anomaly with the accepted theory about the speed of light.

light is confined ot liniear travel according ot the theories of the space tiem continum (fringe scinece especially) the fabric of the univers is made up of ripples thus it should be possible for a aprticle ot skip across the ripples thus traveling faster than light which has to follow the surface lines, hopefully we will see some clever bugger devise ftl drive tech and start deepspace exploration (unammned in the interests of human saftey of course)

Surely the physicists should be saying that the science is clear and fixed, and that the clear consensus is that nothing can travel faster than light, so we shouldn't even be looking? That's how it works with Global Warming, anyway....
Oooh you cynic you!

.......doesn't a stream of Neutrinos going faster than the speed of light in a measurable and consistent manner turn Einstein, his special theory of relativity and most of what we thought we knew about Physics on its ear?
Nope. Einstein created laws that could handle situations that Newtons laws could not, simply because Newton did not know about them. All this does it show that in some cases, maybe Einstein's rules don't apply in some situations which he never said they would. Or maybe it's just an experimental error.

light is confined ot liniear travel according ot the theories of the space tiem continum (fringe scinece especially) the fabric of the univers is made up of ripples thus it should be possible for a aprticle ot skip across the ripples thus traveling faster than light which has to follow the surface lines, hopefully we will see some clever bugger devise ftl drive tech and start deepspace exploration (unammned in the interests of human saftey of course)
That is interesting extrapolation. However, I think that since the new results almost match some previous results from the USA, the scientists will now be burning the midnight oil to try to glean something from it.

There was a very simple experiment done in a German sound lab a few years ago, where splitting the output from an amplifier which was playing Beethoven and transmitting the sound waves through two identical channels involving semiconducter "hole" technology and LED light modulation, resulted in one of the channels being 180 deg out of phase. It was concluded at the time that one of the channels had been speeded up but no one knew why. Then it all went very furtive with that project.

It's surprising how often people will find something that completely contradicts the existing literature and discard it because they think it's something to do with their experimental setup, and consequently discard their findings.

With all due respect you may have made a valid point. But to be honest, I know sprogs of six who can spell better than you.

I know people sometimes hit the wrong key, but to spell 'to' as 'ot' ? 'Tiem' I presume you meant 'Time.'

Makes it hard to understand, and harder to take you seriously.

With all due respect you may have made a valid point. But to be honest, I know sprogs of six who can spell better than you.

I know people sometimes hit the wrong key, but to spell 'to' as 'ot' ? 'Tiem' I presume you meant 'Time.'

Makes it hard to understand, and harder to take you seriously.
I understood him and so did eodmatt.

That is interesting extrapolation. However, I think that since the new results almost match some previous results from the USA, the scientists will now be burning the midnight oil to try to glean something from it.

There was a very simple experiment done in a German sound lab a few years ago, where splitting the output from an amplifier which was playing Beethoven and transmitting the sound waves through two identical channels involving semiconducter "hole" technology and LED light modulation, resulted in one of the channels being 180 deg out of phase. It was concluded at the time that one of the channels had been speeded up but no one knew why. Then it all went very furtive with that project.
well i said it was fringe scince theory, i suspect thee may well be basis for the thory but other than being able to say i am not a totally sceptical believer i really coudlnt say anythign else.

then again in the 50's lasers were just cool things for space cos they wouldnt work properly in a gravitational field but experiments using bell jars and anti grave units proved they might be very usefull (i suspect that was what led to all the movies using flashing lights that destroyed large chunks of hte world)

a report published in the mid 90's by a fanatsist tabloid first reported the use of sound energy wepons (repulsors) as none leatheal gear under test for possible police and peacekeeping forces use published in the last week of march, almost two weeks later the same article apeared in the mainstream press as an elaborate april fools hoax, the question is why did the denials take a week ot run and what happened ot the expermintal gear, was it just a hoax i doubt it because it never ran in any other storyline.

do i believe all the things like the hover tank experiments were just hoaxes or the elctromagnetic field as armour experiments were hoaxes (the reports were but not the trials) no i dont but i also believe they were given up as not feasable, by the same token i have a sneaky suspicion that if some form of ftl were ot be build it would be largley useless requiring a becon to sit at either end of the flight path.

funny how reports in the media keep looking like episodes of some whaky scifi programs (makes you wonder how much is put on the box to cover up the truth over the years)

Well, I've just heard Coxy (Prof Brian Cox) say - as others have corrected me - that this might just be the first shot that shows Einsteinian Physics works in three (or possibly four) dimensions (much like Newtonian Physics works for most areas) but that these Neutrinos may well have taken a short cut through one of the other dimensions described in string or M theory.

It blew my mind, but I still want one of those watches.

Another step closer to my being able to say 'Warp Factor 10' and then I can finally find an alien species with a female willing to mate with me and say 'But what is love Mr Jim?'

Behold my mutant tentacled babies, essex welcomes you as their own :)

I tend to be a cynic with some things and this news is no exception. Take Apple Mac for example. They, along with other large techy firms, have shedloads of upgrades sitting on the launch pads ready to go public when the button is pushed. But the button is pushed in stages, Ipad 1 is launched and makes a fortune, it could have been iPad 2 but far better to upgrade a year later and make the same fortune all over again, I'm sure iPad 5 is ready to go now but not before versions 3 and 4 have made their huge profits.
It could be the same with inventions that we, that's you and me, are not aware of but the clever keepers of the secret vaults, wherever they may be, are sitting on the secret of faster than light space travel and will announce it when they think we are ready for it. Perhaps this news from CERN is the first of a gradual drip feed to prepare us.
FOOTNOTE: If this is the last post you get from me then my theory is true and they've got me.