I know the Forever Evil GW Bush Was No Rocket Scientist but-

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Jan 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I realize that GW Bush (curse his name--saving some posters the time) was not considered very bright but I do think this is quite amusing. Our current Leader of the World cannot seem to give even a speech to a 6th grade class without his ubiquitous teleprompters--not one but two! Curious how we only hear most of the media report how brilliant He is innit?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(For the record I am not now, nor have I ever been a member of, any political party.)

2. and? Breaking news.....the President of the US pointed. ffs

3. Erm...stay with me now...the point of the post was the teleprompters old man not his gestures. :D

4. Ah, I see...for some reason the pic of the US president pointing was the first thing this slow internet connection showed, and that was what I responded to :oops: .

Anyway, we all know that US presidents can't think for themselves and need telepromters or reels of paper with speeches on them ;)

5. Hah! I am glad I am not the only one too quick on the draw at times.

Actually, I am told that the "stupid" GW Bush (and I again hasten to add that I was no personal fan of his) did not use such aids in such fora as grammar schools.

And I am sure that your current slate of politicians are much better speech makers as to the delivery, the substance and last but not least the truth of what they tell you.

Getting my hat and coat....

6. Dear God Obama is embarrassing. How can you not wing a speech to kids?

7. I always feel a bit sorry for the Secret Service agents in such venues (he is standing in the rear of Him).

8. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I wonder how many times he said 'and, ah' during that speech. He was slated for his speeches early in his campaign for Presidency, so if he's still sh1t at public speaking a year down the line, he hasn't learned much...

9. Well, since it's elementary school, let's test Jumping Jarhead's reading comprehension skills shall we?

I don't know about you, but this suggests to me that the kids he spoke to were in another room and he was, in fact, coming in to deliver a policy speech.

And, to demonstrate my point, here's what he said at that podium. (Which, btw, don't you think might be a little over the top for talking to a bunch of 10-11yr olds?):

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/remarks-president-race-top-graham-road-elementary-school

Now, does that seem to you like the sort of thing you'd deliver to a bunch of kids?

Didn't think so.

10. By the way, JJ, I know you like to proclaim that you're politically neutral, but anyone who is capable of reading at more than a 6th grade level might every easily draw from your posts the conclusion that you might be more than a little disingenuous.

11. A mate of mine from many years back who was on the Presidents security team as the EOD bloke (I cant remember which president), sent me an email when BO first came on the scene telling me to look out for the teleprompters whenever he made an official speech. He told me that BO is totally unable to think on his feet and has to have every speech script written for him.

Makes a change from Bruin who commits pedicide almost every time he opens his gob.

12. Do you really think that any US President of the last 20 years or so has got up to make a speech, and just talked off the cuff? Every word they say is subject to endless scrutiny and analysis by friend and foe.

Of course every speech is written for him. What do you think the speech writers do?

13. Your mate might be a good bomb doctor, (who did he work for btw?) but he knows fcuk all about politics. NOBODY these days talks off the cuff when making an official speech and pretty much every Presidential speech since Truman has been written by the White House Communications staff, although quite frequently Presidents have a favourite writer that they go to more than others. Obama's head speechwriter is a guy by the name of Jon Favreau. Pat Buchanan was one of Nixon's favourites, Chris Matthews was one of Jimmy Carter's. Reagan's famous "Boys of Pointe Du Hoc" speech, delivered on the 40th Anniversary of D-Day, was actually written by Peggy Noonan, who also came up with the "Thousand points of light" speech for Bush Snr. The list goes on and on.

Yes there is a marked difference between Obama when he's talking off the cuff and when he's making a prepared statement. He certainly doesn't have Reagan's actor's flair for ad-libbing, but then again as far as I'm aware, nobody has had to go around cleaning up after him as Reagan's staff had to do after one of his ad-libs represented a major departure from policy or reality:

Reagan was also famous for confusing stories he'd seen on film with actual events.

As frustrating to the ear as Obama's speaking style might be, I'd rather have POTUS pause and think about the significance of what he's saying (and every word IS scrutinised) rather than come up with things like:

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/blbushisms.htm

or Sarah Palin's ongoing Greco-Roman wrestling match with the English language. (And the following is actually one of her official speeches.):

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2009/07/palin-speech-edit-200907

Some of the most important speeches, such as Inaugural and State of the Union Addresses, are born a month or more before they're delivered. (Obama delivers his first SOTU on Wed incidentally.) They got through multiple drafts, and they're rehearsed and modified countless times. Not only does it have to sound right, but the language also has to be cleared through the various government departments and in some cases the party and Congressional leadership to make sure that it is consistent with policy. A good account of Kennedy's inaugural is this book:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1566636108/?tag=armrumser-20

14. that's a fantastic post!

a president but you can't remember which one? well there have only been 3 presidents in the last 29 years, can't be that hard to think of which one it was.

he sent you an email when Obama burst onto the scene to tell you how often Obama uses the teleprompters? okay...

obviously because your mate was the EOD bloke for a president's security team, he has special knowledge to judge presidents competency, specifically when it comes to delivering speeches.

15. Might have been one of the other two.... :roll: