I know somebody who scammed a pension...

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by outraged, Apr 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. He played on a back injury and scored a war pension. The guy is a total stroker and now living it up off the proceeds whilst partaking in activities that even an able bodied person would find difficult.

Is there any system in place to sort this out?
  2. Online

Complete an online form on the Department for Work and Pensions website.
    Complete benefit thieves reporting form (opens new window)
    By Telephone

Call the National Benefit Fraud Hotline on 0800 854 440. Lines are open between 7.00 am and 11.00 pm, 7 days a week. It is free and confidential.

If you have speech or hearing problems you can use a text phone service on 0800 328 0512.
    By Post

If you would prefer to make your report in writing, you can send information to:

NBFH, PO Box 224, Preston, PR1 1GP
    What information to provide

The law says that there has to be a good reason for investigating someone for benefit theft - so you will need to give as much of the following information as possible:
    the name and address of the person you are reporting and their partner, if they have one
    a description of the person
    the type of benefit theft you think they are committing and why you suspect them
    information about their employer, if you think they are working
    information about their vehicle, if they have one
  3. Limbo dancing??
  4. Does a war pension constitute "benefits"? He is pretty blase about the whole thing and even boasts about it and how he won an oscar at the medical board.
  5. The hotline covers benefits and pensions also.
  6. Cheers for the info.

I cringe when I hear this so-called ex serviceman openly holding court and boasting in the pub.
  7. I think you'll find that the medical process for obtaining a war pension is as rigorous as any you'll come across. The fact that you think this bloke has nothing wrong with his back doesn't mean there is nothing wrong. One of the common characteristics of war pensioners is that they try to live as normal a life as possible despite their disabilities. If he is in receipt of a war pension then he is definitely not a "so called " ex-serviceman as the very least qualification for a pension is to have served. If you're so certain he's faking it try telling him to his face.
  8. they arent easy things to get, mines been going through for over 6 months and it still hasnt reached the decisions board yet!
    If he is saying that he played a blinder at the medical then if anything he is a billy bullshitter, they go through all of your med docs, hospital records, physio records, referrals, tests, scans etc.. it isnt based on how well you do at an interview.
  9. Contorsionist?
  10. Mmmm, I can think of three who are "at it" although admittedly not in an absolutely obvious way. A leg full of metal, you get a posting you don't like, so you overstate/lie, and who's to contradict you? Busted knees from 4 years driving a truck (supposedly), but if that busts your knees surely your knees were so fragile they would have been wrecked by civvy life - no extra disadvantage from service. One with gun damaged hearing, but his hearing kept him out of the regular army - he was as deaf as a post to start with. The whole issue is very, very difficult. People think "it's the government's money" but government doesn't have any money - all it can do is take from some and give to others. Arguably from state pensions, through incapacity (military and civil) to working families' tax credits we've behaved as if there is a big pot of buckshee money to doll out. The reality is that people get paid for productive activity. Take from them and give to someone who hasn't engaged in productive activity and you discourage work and encourage whatever the non-worker did.

I'm not getting at people in genuine need, but there are serious long-term problems with the way we are going on.
  11. As I said earlier War pensions and the AFCS are just dished out to people who have a limp on the odd day, the totally scrutinise everything, have you seen the paperwork you have to fill in and the info and detail that you have to give just to start the ball rolling? its not just dished out willy nilly and if you get the pension rather than the lump sum (worked out on the percentage of disability) its hardly enough to hit the pub every night.
  12. I don't want to say too much or he might read this, recognise himself, and we'll fall out, but a junior officer with a few years service, a lower leg with plates - a grand a month! Really.

I was in the gym last year with an ex-RM officer who taook the weight of a landy and ripped the muslces in his back. Out after (I think) four years on £500 a month rising forever, and he looked fine in the gym and admitted he was pretty much mended. These two were officers, mind. Maybe the system thinks a gentleman wouldn't exaggerate.
  13. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Agree with FF they do now I know as I am going through the process, however there were some dodgy ones handed out pre 90's. Well not that dodgy but less investigation and medical scrutiny went on.

Face him up and if your not happy then blag him and let him know. If your that confidant you don't have to do it behind his back.
  14. If I were injured in service (I am but dont know how permanent it will be yet), I am sure the pittance the Govt would award me would be hardly worth the efort of getting it, but better than a kick in the teeth. I would certainly be a little upset that some little gobshite who didnt know the full facts thought I was faking it.

Save your outrage for the work-shy chavs who never served but get all sorts of benefits.
  15. That was intentional wasn't it?