I know I shouldnt ask, but...

#1
..why are the Queens Dragoon GUARD's not in the Household Division?

Take pity on me, I was Infantry :D
 
#2
There are a number of answers to that question, many of them involve Pimms and b*ggery and the lack thereof in the QDG.

Seriously though why did that question occur to you, not taking the michael or anything, but why?

Chally
 

elovabloke

ADC
Moderator
#3
The Household Division comprises the two regiments of the Household Cavalry - the Life Guards and the Blues & Royals - and the five regiments of Foot Guards
 
#4
chally2 said:
There are a number of answers to that question, many of them involve Pimms and b*ggery and the lack thereof in the QDG.

Seriously though why did that question occur to you, not taking the michael or anything, but why?

Chally
A long story without an interesting answer.

A stream of consciousness beginning with family history research, then to looking for a regimental history forum, then finding one and bumbling around looking for various regimental museums, found the (excellent)QDG website (not the one I was looking for), and, like the curious animal I am, when I saw the name Queen's BaysI read the regimental history, as an old boy who drank in the pub I used to work in was in the Bays.

Anyway, it just seemed odd. A lucky escape, perhaps, but odd.
 
#5
To cut a long story short, both founding regiments were formed as Regiments of Horse in 1685.
In 1746, as a government costcutting exercise, they were reduced in status to Dragoons, however there was such an outcry that the Guards bit was added as a sop to their dignity.
As far as I know they were'nt given the money back though.
 
#6
angular said:
..why are the Queens Dragoon GUARD's not in the Household Division?

Take pity on me, I was Infantry :D
Defence Cuts of the late 1700's

Having been downgraded to a cheaper Regiment the title "Guards" was added to give status but not money.

Could have been worse. We could have become lancers.


You meant " 1st The Queens Dragoon Guards" I think.
 
#7
smallbore said:
angular said:
..why are the Queens Dragoon GUARD's not in the Household Division?

Take pity on me, I was Infantry :D
Defence Cuts of the late 1700's

Having been downgraded to a cheaper Regiment the title "Guards" was added to give status but not money.

Could have been worse. We could have become soldiers.


You meant " 1st The Queens Dragoon Guards" I think.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top