I know I shouldnt ask, but...

..why are the Queens Dragoon GUARD's not in the Household Division?

Take pity on me, I was Infantry :D

There are a number of answers to that question, many of them involve Pimms and b*ggery and the lack thereof in the QDG.

Seriously though why did that question occur to you, not taking the michael or anything, but why?

Chally

elovabloke

ADC
The Household Division comprises the two regiments of the Household Cavalry - the Life Guards and the Blues & Royals - and the five regiments of Foot Guards

chally2 said:
There are a number of answers to that question, many of them involve Pimms and b*ggery and the lack thereof in the QDG.

Seriously though why did that question occur to you, not taking the michael or anything, but why?

Chally
A long story without an interesting answer.

A stream of consciousness beginning with family history research, then to looking for a regimental history forum, then finding one and bumbling around looking for various regimental museums, found the (excellent)QDG website (not the one I was looking for), and, like the curious animal I am, when I saw the name Queen's BaysI read the regimental history, as an old boy who drank in the pub I used to work in was in the Bays.

Anyway, it just seemed odd. A lucky escape, perhaps, but odd.

To cut a long story short, both founding regiments were formed as Regiments of Horse in 1685.
In 1746, as a government costcutting exercise, they were reduced in status to Dragoons, however there was such an outcry that the Guards bit was added as a sop to their dignity.
As far as I know they were'nt given the money back though.

angular said:

Defence Cuts of the late 1700's

Having been downgraded to a cheaper Regiment the title "Guards" was added to give status but not money.

Could have been worse. We could have become lancers.

You meant " 1st The Queens Dragoon Guards" I think.

smallbore said:
angular said:

Defence Cuts of the late 1700's

Having been downgraded to a cheaper Regiment the title "Guards" was added to give status but not money.

Could have been worse. We could have become soldiers.

You meant " 1st The Queens Dragoon Guards" I think.