I just need someone to tell me it's going to be ok...maybe?

Slime

LE
Someone calm me down please?

After a few years now I've finally decided to start my application and now things are rolling... I'm bricking it... 3 times now my RGMD has been sent back for further questions but I've finally been accepted for that and have my medical assesment booked in for 2 weeks time (really not bothered by that because all I've told to prepare for is an eye test, hearing test and walking on the soles of my feet) after that I can book in for my briefing. I've spent hours and hours and hours researching what to expect at briefing and main board and now feel fairly clued up on what to expect but after the constant issues with the RGMD and also covid changing the process, I think I've managed to convince myself that i'm just going to mess everything up.
I just think after preparing myself over the past few years for this and then being set back 3 times at the RGMD that it's knocked my confidence a little which is not my personality at all.
I guess what I'm trying to get at is if someone could tell me how truly difficult briefing and main board actually is? I'm fairly good at the writing and public speaking elements, along with the fitness (I've been training at the gym to a high level for the past 5 years) and the maths computer tests I should be ok (I've just passed my chartered accountants and chartered tax advisor exams so I'd consider myself good at maths) and interview technique, that is what it is but I'm so bloody determined to get there that I think I'll fail on something so simple.
Does anybody know what the average pass rate is? What's the percentage of people that make it from briefing to main board and then what's the percentage that make it from main board to Sandhurst?
I must admit, both parents went through Sandhurst and one has retired now and the other is now still doing well in the army but I simply get told by them to "sort yourself out and stop f***ing about and just get on with it" but that isn't helping right now...
Of course, something that is common on here, please do link me to a similar thread if you think this has already been discussed. I've tried to search and couldn't find anything that was telling someone to just man up and get on with it.
Cheers in advance!

I’ll offer you some praise.
Take a look at the avatar name you selected in order to post.

Lots of new hopefuls use avatar names that give away their real name, or could identify them to training staff.

If your choice of avatar name was deliberately vague, then have a gold star :)
It demonstrates forethought.

Someone calm me down please?

After a few years now I've finally decided to start my application and now things are rolling... I'm bricking it... 3 times now my RGMD has been sent back for further questions but I've finally been accepted for that and have my medical assesment booked in for 2 weeks time (really not bothered by that because all I've told to prepare for is an eye test, hearing test and walking on the soles of my feet) after that I can book in for my briefing. I've spent hours and hours and hours researching what to expect at briefing and main board and now feel fairly clued up on what to expect but after the constant issues with the RGMD and also covid changing the process, I think I've managed to convince myself that i'm just going to mess everything up.
I just think after preparing myself over the past few years for this and then being set back 3 times at the RGMD that it's knocked my confidence a little which is not my personality at all.
I guess what I'm trying to get at is if someone could tell me how truly difficult briefing and main board actually is? I'm fairly good at the writing and public speaking elements, along with the fitness (I've been training at the gym to a high level for the past 5 years) and the maths computer tests I should be ok (I've just passed my chartered accountants and chartered tax advisor exams so I'd consider myself good at maths) and interview technique, that is what it is but I'm so bloody determined to get there that I think I'll fail on something so simple.
Does anybody know what the average pass rate is? What's the percentage of people that make it from briefing to main board and then what's the percentage that make it from main board to Sandhurst?
I must admit, both parents went through Sandhurst and one has retired now and the other is now still doing well in the army but I simply get told by them to "sort yourself out and stop f***ing about and just get on with it" but that isn't helping right now...
Of course, something that is common on here, please do link me to a similar thread if you think this has already been discussed. I've tried to search and couldn't find anything that was telling someone to just man up and get on with it.
Cheers in advance!
just remember that everyone else is in the same boat - when I did my artificer selection course with about 30 other guys, all of whom had served at least 8 years already and were experienced Cpl's or Sgt's, you never sat on a cold toilet seat! - everyone was desperate to make the grade and impress because it was the only way you could gain realistic promotion upto WO1 and commissioning thereafter. as other posters have stated, the trick is to listen, absorb and decide - right or wrong, it s all about making a decision , making a plan, briefing it and then implementing it.

It sounds like you have done what you can to prepare already so take a couple of relaxation days before you attend - do something that you enjoy and will refresh you and not related to your attendance at the board - better to be fresh physically and as de-stressed as possible than to keep pounding away at your preparations utpo the last minute

PS read the newspapers before you go so you have an idea of what is current news and topical

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ll offer you some praise.
Take a look at the avatar name you selected in order to post.

Lots of new hopefuls use avatar names that give away their real name, or could identify them to training staff.

If your choice of avatar name was deliberately vague, then have a gold star :)
It demonstrates forethought.
Yours sincerely,

Steve Lime

chimera

LE
Repeating a post I made a couple of years ago on a similar thread:

As someone who has been on the other side of the table for officer selection, my Top Tips:

1. Be yourself. If you try to be someone you are not you will be seen through.

2. Do not self assess as you go along.

3. Get fit.

4. There is a difference between good preparation and cheating. If you think that the only way you are going to pass is by knowing the questions in advance, then you are going into the wrong job.

Latest Threads