I have got my first interview !

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Bigt116, Jan 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    Just got a letter through and I have my first interview after 22 years !
    It is for an NHS trust as an Assistive Technology Installer. Can anyone please give me some hints and tips for the interview ?
    I am fine with the mechanics of the job, just unsure, uneasy and inexperienced for the interview.

PS. any advice that says I should turn up as a clown to amuse the panel will be disregarded :)
  3. Do what you would expect anyone you were interviewing to do, turn up early, dress smart rather than casual, speak clearly, ask relevant questions.

Do some background work on the NHS, the hospital you are working in and the particular unit/area. Think of some pertinent questions to ask.

Best advice, don't worry; you will be far better for the job and for them than most of the applicants. Be positive but don't come across as assertive or overbearing.
  4. Disagree with the comment ref suits. An employer wants to see a smart turn out....and unlike dot com companies...this is the NHS...conservative as they come.

They may well ask...some so called trick questions ie. "Why should we employ you?" Good answer would be.....I believe with my experience and work ethic I would be an asset to the your department etc etc. Dont stumble over this one. Be ready for it!

A good way is put yourself in the employers shoes. What would you want to know. Think of the questions and have the answers ready.....and yes I employ a staff of some 25.

Good luck, dont cross your legs, if theyre pros they'll be looking at body language too. Let us know how it goes :lol:
  5. Ha ha, this reminds me of interview practices we did for potential YofS before they set off for blandford.

I told one of the lads a good technique when facing an interview board was to move the chair forward so he would be closer to the group... he did.

QM went apeshite at him and blew his top... really messed with my mates head before he even managed to start. He did pass though.

Well it was funny to me!
  6. Thank you strewth
    I had every intention of turning up in a suit, I really can't think of any other way to turn up to an interview.
  7. Dress smart, better to be overly smart than scruffy!
    Be calm
    Research like hell on the job, shows intuition etc
    You will hit with the usual what are yr good & bad points etc.
    If you dont know an answer right away, say can I have a moments, that is a difficult question.
    And do not go on and on about the army, go on about qualities you will bring from the army, but be careful of army speak.
  8. I cant add any more to the good advice already given, just good luck and stay focused, er in English , what is a "Assistive Technology Installer" please.

9. Bigt116,
    Do you have any mates whose jobs involve interviewing people?
    If so (and you can keep a straight face), it is worth doing a few practice interviews with them, as like anything in life practice helps.

The people who have got jobs after being interviewed by me were the ones who came over as being intelligent, friendly and capable (even if part of me really, really wanted to hire the blondes with the low cut top and huge bangers).

Here's a few things that have led to people performing badly in a recent interview panel:
    1. Not knowing their CV - this really sorts the wheat from the chaff
    2. Wearing 'smart' clothes and shoes that would have been ok in a night club, but not in an interview
    3. Not knowing anything about the post (read the job description) or organisation (hit the web)
    4. Not smiling and having a handshake like a wet lettuce leaf
    5. Stinking of fags (the tobacco ones, not the other ones)

There are plenty of websites with lists of possible interview questions: see here.

Many of these sites repeat the same questions. If you can prepare relevant answers to the questions you will be well on the way to being prepared.

You should also think of some questions you want to ask.

Good luck mate.

edited twice for Highland-Park fingers
  10. msr

msr LE

11. There are a million things that can help, but you would need quite a few interviews to get them right so concentrate on the basics which have already been mentioned. Smart, punctual, good night's sleep and an active conversation with the interviewers. Don't just answer yes or no and stay within your limits. Some good questions for the end of the interview are:

What would be my objectives in the first 6 months/ 1 year in the post?

If it's a new post ask how they coped with the problem before.

Is there any re-structuring in the pipeline and where would this post fit in the new structure?

Good luck mate, just be yourself.
  12. Dress and look like a winner. Look like someone they would be proud to have on board the organisation. Look on their website and if their top man wears a suit, so do you. Since it's a huge public sector organisation, definitely a smart suit, sober tie, normal socks without Homer Simpson on them, smart polished shoes, no scruffy watches like mine.

Research the organisation and the job, enough that you are confident to ask questions about it. If you show curiosity it shows you are intelligent and interested. Get there early. Think about real achievements in your career so far, ones where you have had tangible results and made a difference, particularly if you can make it sound relevant to the job.

Oh and take a couple of grams of speed, like Spud in Trainspotting! "Just trying tae get in the door like".
  13. Remember an interview is a two way thing, ask lots of questions. If the person who will be your boss or manager is in the interview, ask them question about their style and experience. At the end of the interview if you want the job, ask what the next steps are, when will you know when a decision has been made, and if you don't get the position it is worth asking for feedback. Good luck.
  14. As has been said before a suit is important regardless of how the CEO dresses RHIP and all that.
    I have found over the years that mentally sitting back and relaxing helps even if you are physically sitting up straight!
    The last few interviews I have had have been split into two parts, the first being the technical interview on the mechanics of the job, and the second being a personnel type interview. The latter tends to concentrate on career aspirations etc.
    One of the weirdest questions I've been asked is who I would want to pack my parachute, followed by why?
    If you can't think of anything to ask them, and they will ask you if you have any questions, just say that they have already answered them in their previous explanations. It's always worked for me!
  15. This may be too late in your situation, but I worked with a guy in London who would apply for all sorts of jobs and go along to any interviews he was offered just for the experience. He was actually offered quite a few jobs too, including a stock trader whilst having zero experience or financial inclinations. His interview experience obviously paid off there.

Try businessballs.com also, it has worked very well for me in many situations.

Good luck.