I have done a search but this is a thread about towing civvy trailers

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by ugly, Aug 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have a crew cab Isuzu pick up which has the plate in the pic.
    We normally tow a big braked 4 wheel trailer to events full of stock so its a commercial activity. Now I know I can tow 3 tons according to the handbook but not sure what the GCW bit is, does it indicate that I can carry a load in the truck and tow? Curious as the wife wants some luxury at events and sleeping in the stock trailer on an airbed on weekends is wearing thin and no fun in autumn or spring, we dont do winter thank feck.
    I have looked at a camper demountable body from this mob; Sales : Apollo Motorhomes Shop
    I suppose that the box will come in around the ton or under enough to make the kit legal, how much will this affect the towing capacity?

Attached Files:

2. Gross Combined Weight

3. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I know a few people in the Motor caravan club who use demountables and tow trailers /cars, without any problems, not sure of the exact weights though, check that the unit does not cover your towing hitch as some do

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have the trailer plate here, I suppose the weight of the trailer itself unladen is very important, every time I pass the Vosa weighbridge on Handcross hill I hold my breath.

Appollo said they will extend the hitch by 18 inches, I may need less as its on a witter already.
    Just wondering at what point I get an operators license and fit a tacho or buy a horsebox (self propelled) and say sod it.
    Its only used as a combo unit for 10 weekends a year max but may end up over in ireland and france at events.

Attached Files:

5. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Cheers, its all about going round the houses, I now know I can drive a total of 12 tons but only until I do my CPC and that is due soon although I may have an exemption under dual useage?
    Currently looking at an operators license exemption, if I cant at least the Isuzu is ready to fit the digi tacho.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I cant work out the trailer unladen weight from the plate, any ideas?

8. I have.

But as you haven't the grace to acknowledge my last post, I can't be arrsed.

Cheers.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You bugger! I have just found that. Mind you I worked it out honest gov.
    So without an operators license 2 tons ish is possible provided the trailer doesn't weigh much.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk with fat fingered typing

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I think we are in the clear. I need the proposed demountable weight now and I think the trailer unladen wt makes it exempt so the wife and I can both drive it on our pre 97 licenses. 20 days shared driving a year should also put us in a minor/reduced usage group exempting from operators license.
    With a GCW of 5.9 t I need to keep the demount and trailer load to 3 t max!
    Otherwise its a self propelled horsebox conversion and I won't need an mot for the demount where I need the full monty for the horse box.

11. Panic over.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I take that as I have worked it out then? Still unsure which figure on the plate is unladen wt for the trailer, is it 1500 with a 2900 limit?

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Whats irritating about the Gov websites is that they dont answer every combination and state that they cant give fixed legal definitions or interppretations and tell you to get your own legal advice if unsure. Now why should I fork out for a beaks opinion when some knob from VOSA decides he wants to interpret the rules a bit differently?
    I would love to find a local weighbridge not run by VOSA so I can test the fully loaded weight at no risk of being ticketed.

14. Ugly, "GA" indicates Gross Axle weight as defined by the manufacturer.

The first number refers to the max weight that van be placed over the front axle, the second number ditto for the second axle.