I have been offered the role of Game Keeper on my shoot

ugly

LE

Finally managed to organise a work party, 3 guns, my eldest and I and we cleared out 100 yards of blocked and silted stream from its feeder pond to the first real drop in height.
A good effort all done in three hours allowing the track to dry out enough for the digger to get in and finish trenching

I envy you matey.
I'm at the early stages of negotiating a stalking lease up here, as I was "gazumped" out of 200 acres on a 99 year "everything but game birds" lease last year.

ugly

LE
Went back today, sunny as feck and really nice, the stream is gently flowing but almost dry, it should be a dry patch in a couple of weeks provided we get the promised warm dry weather. I'll be keeping an eye on this patch.

ugly

LE
The stream and the flooded ground has now dried up and the digger can get in. The next work party is to deliver water to the pens and clean the feeders ready for the pouts. The fitting of legs to feeders and repair of styles meanwhile rolls along

ugly

LE
The farmer hasn't put the digger in but the ground is rock hard now, Birds arrived Tuesday morning, 800, I have spread them around four pens and only lost 3 so far to buzzards, lots of ground cover helps. Last night on the feed rounds I heard Muntjac bucks barking. Tonight I may take out the .280/30 and see if I can get another Muntjac. The Owners son reckons he has seen them as far south as the main house, be interesting if they are as I will have trouble keeping them off the estate, it also means that the FC Ranger was on the ball with his info.

ugly

LE
A quick update, birds are in, 800 poults in four pens. I am running a feed rota with 4 willing helpers. Whether or not these four remain willing when I start to put feeders out away from the pens is another question.
Last night I had a text from the chap doing the morning rounds. He had almost run over a Muntjac turning into the estate from the main A road. I have heard them and the owner knows and wants them removed. The only question is 22-250 or .280/30?
I'll go this evening after seven and see whats out there when I'm doing the rounds.

Ugly, I think with the weather we're having there will be a rush on recovery crops, ours have just gone in due to the rain being forecast soon but I think it will die if we don't get rain for a week after it sprouts however the maize is flying up(can't drill that on where our crops are(too steep for a tractor).

ugly

LE
The wild grass mix worked but the kale was hammered by pigeons and is kaput, the farmer has redrilled one field for us but I'm not holding out as still we have no rain!

We've just put autumn promise in hoping that does well but we've had to cultivate/ spray twice to try to get rid of redshank. Due to a wet/cold period last year our mix died back before the kale came up so the partridge seemed to have bugger off for a period.

We've just put autumn promise in hoping that does well but we've had to cultivate/ spray twice to try to get rid of redshank. Due to a wet/cold period last year our mix died back before the kale came up so the partridge seemed to have bugger off for a period.
Liming is an effective control for redshank.

ugly

LE
We have seen a few partridge about which is nice s we dont release any and last night I saw a Pheasant hen with at least one Poult loose in the wheat, thats a wild bird born on the estate, something we are doing right!

ugly

LE
Ive started putting fen traps in for the rats, poults and pellets usualy means rats and they also catch squirrels. My mate on the morning rounds asked why I had a bird in the live catch trap. I laughed and apologised, they aren't very bright these birds. I need more rat attractive tunnel boxes making!

Bloody rats round here seem to have gone off peanut butter.
Time to make another jar of fishmeal paste.
(I bait the traps with one or t' other & smear some a foot up on a piece of fibreboard sat against the wall facing the outside door from the kitchen, which gives a nice shot from off the breakfast bar with the air rifle).

A quick update, birds are in, 800 poults in four pens. I am running a feed rota with 4 willing helpers. Whether or not these four remain willing when I start to put feeders out away from the pens is another question.
Last night I had a text from the chap doing the morning rounds. He had almost run over a Muntjac turning into the estate from the main A road. I have heard them and the owner knows and wants them removed. The only question is 22-250 or .280/30?
I'll go this evening after seven and see whats out there when I'm doing the rounds.
What like is the .280/30 to actually use out of interest Ugly?

ugly

LE
What like is the .280/30 to actually use out of interest Ugly?
Fairly flat shooting, not as flat as 22-250, but with longer legs and more mass. I try not to use it on fox but if its what I have then I will have to use it