I have a question.... :)

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by bebe, Dec 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am a South African Citizen currently working as a civilian in the South African Police Service. I would like to know if it will be possible for me to apply for a job as a civilian in the British Army. I have completed several training courses within the South African Police and i have experience with finance, HRM and Logistics. At the moment i work for the crime prevention unit planning operations and all the admin that goes with the planning.

Can anyone here please give me some advice?
    I have a National Insurance number and a British drivers lisence.
    At the moment i am not living in the UK.

any info?
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

There are technically no "civilian" jobs within the British Army. The roles you speak of are called civil servants within the employ of the MoD, one of the branches of government.

I think you can but you may find that there is a problem. I think, if you require any kind of security clearance (which is likely to be the case within a MoD slot), you require to have two/three years residence completed in the UK. My sister in law, a UK citizen ( not too long back from a few years in Japan), got all the way through interviews before being turned down for exactly that reason.

Have a look at the Civil Service Website. I think you should get all the info you need here.
  3. well i had a look on the MD's website and it says that citizens of the commonwealth can apply...

i'll just give them a call..

thanks anyway
  4. in_the_cheapseats

I know lots of F&C punters in the civil service so the basic answer is yes. The difficulty will come with the security clearance and therefore roles in the MoD.

However the the civil service is a huge place (500000 strong) so I am pretty sure there will be a post that you can do.

Good luck in your application
  5. but there are civillians in uniform in the RAF........
  6. in_the_cheapseats

Meow :D
  7. hey, what do you mean with security clearance?
    what do they check then?
    I have lived in the UK a year ago and I live there for two years, paid all my taxes, I can prove address, I have an NI number, No criminal record?

what else is there? :p
  8. i would also like to know... why functional members from south africa are employed so easily and which is not the case for people within the civil service (or as a civilian as i call it)
  9. in_the_cheapseats

Every country has sensitive information that it takes care to protect. The UK is no exception. As you aren't a UK citizen, there are sensitivities to allowing you access to such info. SA has exactly the same rules and rightly so.

What do you mean by functional members? Do you mean working for civilian companies? If that is question, very simply, the companies don't have the same security requirements of their staff as those working for the government.
  10. functional as in soldiers!! officers ect people people in the field?
    like many of my mates are in the british army...I guess they also get exposed to sensitive info..?
    I was just wondering.
  11. The same goes for soldiers, they can be limited on the jobs they do, until they get Security Clearance. the other minor point is we are short of soldiers, but not Civil Servants!!!!

12. M.O.D website actually says there are a huge demand for civilian servants that can not be filled by UK Citizens.
  13. Especially if you can speak a Johnny Arab language...
  14. in_the_cheapseats

Yup but they don't get a sy clearance and fill unclassified jobs.

Why are you banging on about this? Simply take a job that you can fill.