I hate running! Any tips to get to like it?

Jammy66

War Hero
As title. I've always hated running, can't bear the treadmill at the gym. I'm happy to run for a train or to get to the pub for last orders, but running for the sake of running?

As I'll need to run 1.5 miles in under 14mins, I need some help!

Bris

LE
As title. I've always hated running, can't bear the treadmill at the gym. I'm happy to run for a train or to get to the pub for last orders, but running for the sake of running?

Don't run on a treadmill; it's beyond boring. Plan a route round some local woods/a park, put some of your favourite music on the iPod* and just go outside. Start really slow - if you go off too fast, too quick you'll stop and get disillusioned with it; just try to keep your legs moving. Gradually build up speed.

There's loads on here about ways of getting faster/motivated - just search in the top right of the screen.

Good luck, and remember why you're going for the run - your goal is to pass the test, so use that as motivation.

offog

LE
Recorded books on your headphones.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Don't run on a treadmill; it's beyond boring. Plan a route round some local woods/a park, put some of your favourite music on the iPod* and just go outside. Start really slow - if you go off too fast, too quick you'll stop and get disillusioned with it; just try to keep your legs moving. Gradually build up speed.

There's loads on here about ways of getting faster/motivated - just search in the top right of the screen.

Good luck, and remember why you're going for the run - your goal is to pass the test, so use that as motivation.
That's what I always did, known route length,could see improvement, it's not boring, soft ground is better on your knees and hips. Avoid running on roads, believe me you need to limit damage to joints as much as you can, comes back and bites you in later life.
Ask a relative or friend to run with you, company and when you can't be bothered you've someone to meet and spur you on.

PFGEN

GCM
There are apps for the iphone/Android nowadays which consist of a training program combined with music and a commentary on performance (distance, speed, pace: when to increase, decrease). A friend of mine started using it a couple of months ago. Before she started using it she was chin strapped running to the end of the street. She recently completed a 10 km and will be running a half marathon in the Autumn and should complete it in a decent time.

Learn to run properly. It's one of the few sports that people do without a coach, or reference to guidance. You fancy running, one of the most high impact high endurance sporting disciplines, so people just tell you to put a pair of trainers on and 'get out there'. Bollocks, take the opportity to save your joints in future years and join a club, hire a coach, whatever.

Running heel/toe advocated since only the 1970's, with the invention of the unnecessary padded training shoe, will destroy you if you a fat cùnt or have buggered joints already.

Buy the book 'born to run' and learn to enjoy what our entire evolution has created us to do- run and fùck girls in their hoop.

Last edited:
Advice above will make it more bearable and will get you better times but accept that you may never like running. It's just something you have to do, so in the words of the great god Nike, just do it.

Speaking as hip replacement owner,avoid metalled roads if possible.Swimming or cycling probably a better option for all round fitness.Be careful out there.

Take an iPod with the rocky soundtrack

"Gonna Fly Now (Theme from Rocky)" (vocals: DeEtta Little/Nelson Pigford) – 2:48
"Philadelphia Morning" – 2:22
"Going the Distance" – 2:40
"Reflections" – 3:19
"Marines' Hymn/Yankee Doodle" – 1:45
"Take You Back (Street Corner Song from Rocky)" (vocals: Valentine) – 1:49
"First Date" – 1:54
"You Take My Heart Away" (vocals: DeEtta Little/Nelson Pigford) – 4:46
"Fanfare for Rocky" – 2:34
"Butkus" – 2:12
"Alone in the Ring" – 1:09
"The Final Bell" – 1:56
"Rocky's Reward" – 2:03

Perhaps think of the overall health benfits of a consistent and active lifestyle? Gym costs money?

Your quoting a need to get under a mile and a half in under 14 mins so I'll assume thats your desired PFT time, you should be aiming for 10 and a half mins in a teeth arms role etc

It's nice to know that you can run for a the last bell in a pub but can't for something that can give you exponentially much more benefits to your life/lifestyle/job prospects/beer tokens etc

Perhaps think of the overall health benfits of a consistent and active lifestyle? Gym costs money?

Your quoting a need to get under a mile and a half in under 14 mins so I'll assume thats your desired PFT time, you should be aiming for 10 and a half mins in a teeth arms role etc

It's nice to know that you can run for a the last bell in a pub but can't for something that can give you exponentially much more benefits to your life/lifestyle/job prospects/beer tokens etc
The OP is nearly 50 years old, hence the PFT time.

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
I always felt like giving up if everyone overtook me. Best advice is, get some nasty cnut to run behind you. :)
Download an app called "Zombies, Run!" and listen to it whilst you run - it's a story game with music, and occasionally you get zombies chasing after you etc. My missus loves it.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you truly don't like running, but plan to join the Army, find another career choice.

D

Deleted 129455

You need to question if you want to be in the Army more than you dislike running. If the winner is the Army then you need to start developing your mental toughness to endure things that may not be totally what you want to do. I'm not suggesting your entire career will be like that but there will be times.

You know the time you need to achieve, so that makes the mental aspect easier IMHO. Its much harder to run fast for a period of time or distance if they are unknown.

There is so much information online about how to physically improve yourself sensibly and safely not to increase the risk of injuries. There is also plenty of info about how to enhance your mental robustness in order to attain the goals you want.

Ultimately you just need to want it and not just look at getting fit enough to pass the entrance test but to make that level of fitness a way of life.

The Army for however long you plan to stay isn't just a job its a way of life, so prepare yourself with that in mind. If that seems daunting just break it down into small goals. It will all come together eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oxygen_Thief

On ROPS
On ROPs
As previous have mentioned - don't run on a treadmill, not only is it dull, it isn't representative of 'proper' running.

Picking out interesting routes will also help a lot.

Otherwise, running is like anything else, the more you do it the better you become. If you're starting from very little, it'll take about 4-6 weeks before you start feeling fitter, and at that point you'll start enjoying it more.

Also, join your local running club - they're all very social, and if you pick the right one for your ability, will help you get a lot better. If youre really keen, join an athletics club - theres literally tons of hot, young 18 year old girls running around in lycra pants at mine. No better motivation than that!

Also, to be able to run a 14 minute mile and a half, you barely have to do any training, you can actually walk it in 14 minutes.

Cycling clubs anyone? Also builds a good social rapport and you might even get lucky with one of the students, you can find them on Facebook and a good mountain bike won't set you back much, although for building fitness I would think running is the winner and a mix of running and cycling for maintaining, but just a thought

Latest Threads