I HATE MOVERS I HATE MOVERS I HATE MOVERS I HATE MOVERS

Resurgem. Just out of interest are your main points aimed at movers in general or to RAF Movers ?

You have clearly had some serious problems in the past, either that or you are just repeating the same two or three horror stories that everyone uses - the Gen Jackson one being a good start, it's an oft told story but just to shed a bit of light on it. It was Gen Rose not Gen Jackson, the "mover" was a RAF SAC, a tad rotund and yes, very scruffy. He was also not the brightest bulb in the box, he was also removed sharply from the scene by me.

As for the complaints from the TA Officer MP, they too were aimed at the RAF system, I have a full copy of the letter if you would like me to fax it to you.

Your points all relate to air movement so I tend to think that is where your beef lies. This could be down to complete ignorance of what Army movers do and to some degree I can understand it. I'm sure that the Army movers would love to carry out loads of practise exercises in customer care but when they spend on average 9 months a year on ops I'm guessing it's difficult to fit them in, maybe the crabs at AKT, BZZ etc could squeeze a few courses in ?

There is of course the old fashioned way of doing business, ie: you are in the forces, shite happens, live with it you whining cnut. Actually the truth is that Army movers are on your side and do try to sort out your problems, just like every trade in every Corps they have the odd bad apple. Don't be naive and ignorant enough to tar everyone with the same brush.

Well said FJ, it's tiresome and repetitive bowlax of the sought regurgitated by by the man with a similar name that really gets Army Mov Staff down. They too have a job to do, they too spend a lot of time on Ops dealing with frustrated people. I do accept that movers could ensure that all info is passed to pax in transit, but sometimes (quite often) that info changes at no notice and for no apparent reason. therefore if a packed deparure tent is told that the aircratf is being prepared for loading one minute, and that it has broken down the next, it is the army mover who gets the flak and appears to be off his game.
No-one likes the system, if we could afford better equipmment (aircraft, pax and Mechanical HE, and better waiting facilities then pax might be both better provided for and more likely to leave and arrive on time.
finally - don't blame the blokes, blame the kit!

hellfyyr said:
Q,
You mean we saw you off on that thread, so like a coward you start abuse elsewhere.

As previously stated, I can happily deal with facts. Give me something tangible and we can have a discussion.

Thought an important Ex-Infantry (probably TA) officer would have better things to do; sadly not it appears...
It's still going strong, HairDryer!!! Tehe

Resurgam said:
Outstanding said:
Resurgam, whilst some of your points have validity, it all returns to available finance to make the system work as it should.

Movers get messed around by the clapped out eqpt just and as much as their Pax.

of course if you know a better way of doing it, change the system!!
Finance will not sort out plain bad manners. The letter written by the MP was full of sensible comment stemming from a definate lack of effort by the movers and the station commander in question.
You are referring to the RAF, as was Maj Lancaster, however I will answer your little wish-list from an Army Movement perspective.

Resurgam said:
Teach your people to say sorry.
Why should we be sorry? Was it our fault? In actual fact our guys do apologise on somebody else's behalf, and of course if we have messed up, but your attitude is what grates here; we are working hard for you but it will never be enough will it! Maybe could wear hair-shirts to placate you too?

Resurgam said:
Teach them to get on to Ops flight and find out the whys and wherefores (sp)
Teach you to write more like... Do you even know what you are talking about? I guarantee my guys are racing around the world to get information. No-one ferrets out information like a Mover; sadly what we find is normally bad news :(

Resurgam said:
Teach them basic manners.
They have those but they often get stretched when a rude passenger talks to them like they are scum. If everyone spoke to them in the the manner they would wish to be spoken to it would all be a lot easier. The ones without manners answer to me (both parties passenger and mover).

Resurgam said:
Teach them that they are not there to get the most comfortable seats but are there to serve their 'customers'
Are you for real? Seriously you should be at the Defence Movement School... :roll:

Resurgam said:
Teach them that they are actually in a uniformed organisation and that they are supposed to look smart
I am sure on their constant visits to Iraq and Afghanistan (check out RLC tour statistics, fringe trades in particular) they have failed to notice that they are in the Armed Forces. As for dress I do enforce a fairly smart dress code but as a reality check for you they are on ops (do the infantry press their kit for attacks, do they ever wear non-issue kit?).

Resurgam said:
Teach them that they are responsible.
I do teach this and they are very proud of it thanks. It is nice to be responsible for something; judging by your ill-thought out rant I suspect you will never be responsible for anything. If you are in fact in a position of command, I am glad your excellent attitude is not winding up your men in an already difficult situation; I mean you must really help with their morale.

Resurgam said:
The time that I hear a mover say

'I'm sorry I do not know what the reason for the delay is but I will go and find out from Ops Flight now and will give you regular updates - oh and while you wait we have arranged for the catering staff to make a brew and hand out the stickies will be the day that the Devil and I perform Bolero.'
Happens all the time but clearly your experience of our world is very, very limited; maybe you should do a few more tours. Most of my guys are on 8+ medals; not a boast but a worrying fact (we are beginning to look like Americans in uniform). If you have not recieved this (basic) level of service then I suggest you follow the instructions below.

Resurgam said:
Just because their clever computer doesn't work does not mean that they cannot pick up the blasted phone.
Already answered this above, you are beginning to repeat yourself. I am not sure how because you have structured quite an argument here :roll:

Resurgam said:
If you are a mover and are fed up with abuse- You sort out the system and make it work better. In my business if you cannot get the task done according to SOPs you change the SOPs you do not just sit on your arrse and say nothing can be done. Have you no pride?
If you are a passenger and you have a genuine grievance; complain and I, or someone like me, will sort things out. If you are only able to talk big online nothing (if there was a problem within our control) will ever change. I also urge you to consider the level of funding/manpower versus tasking within the Armed Forces next time you vote.

Q,
As usual you pop in with a little snipe; they are getting weaker though...

hellfyyr said:
Q,
As usual you pop in with a little snipe; they are getting weaker though...
Hairdryer,
You've had an easy year!
Qm

I love movers me. I would like to say thank you to the half wit who sent away our coach in 2002 before the flight landed leaving half a squadron of Engineers stranded after 3 months in Kabul.

I would also like to thank the movers in RAF Akrotiri and Brize Norton this year. The resident battalion were in the process of relocating at the time when we were flying back and had to bump off some frieght so that families baggage could take priority. That I have no problem with. The fact that they just offloaded it without telling us despite still being in the terminal was really professional. The I phoned up Brize the next day to make sure the frieght had cleared customs and was ready to pick up, the guy said "Yeah, everything has gone through including your stuff". I got a van and a driver and went down to pick up the kit and lo and behold it wasn't there. The mover then said it should be coming in to Lyneham that afternoon at 4pm so it should be cleared by about 530pm or so. He seemed to take offence when I told him that if he thought I was going to waste mine and my drivers time going to Lyneham to wait for 6 hours on the off chance that the RAF had done their job he must be on another planet. Thanks for nothing you sheeps vaginas!

Easy to hate Movers, but at the end of the day it is them that get you home, albeit often late (not their fault) on different flights (not their fault) or after long and boring delays (not their fault) without your bags (movers often do not load a/c) and or to the wrong airpoprt (movers do not control where a/c land or divert to).

Fact is thery do a sh1t job to the best of their ability, there is always room for improvement (as in all things) but let's not slag the lads off, rather do as suggested and complain, with as much info as you have. That might change the system rather than attack indivs who have no more control than the pax. Pass your complaint thru the CoC and ensure that it goes to Army movers as well as the SAMO of the place you blame the most.

Dont just whinge do something about it.

Nothing happens until something moves!!

Crabbair "can't find" my bag. I've tried talking to Brize but no joy- they seem to think that someone walked off with my bag. Does anyone know if Crabbair has a secret bag stash or a prefered fence?
Bag clearly marked with zap no and DZ flash.

Heard rumour that basic jumps course has been civilianised, hope movers are next.

gennithmedic said:
Crabbair "can't find" my bag. I've tried talking to Brize but no joy- they seem to think that someone walked off with my bag. Does anyone know if Crabbair has a secret bag stash or a prefered fence?
Bag clearly marked with zap no and DZ flash.

Heard rumour that basic jumps course has been civilianised, hope movers are next.
Yeah, coz of course, that'll sort out all the issues you short sighted, ignorant tw@t! Obviously you've worked with civvies a lot then! They make everything better don't they?

Yeah, coz of course, that'll sort out all the issues you short sighted, ignorant tw@t! Obviously you've worked with civvies a lot then! They make everything better don't they?[/quote]

Well Infiltraitor,
the CIVMovers get plenty of practice in real, busy, airports. With folks much less biddable and organised than HM forces. And they can be sacked for poor performance.
And while I'm here; what kind of gay, spastic, oxygen thief, lizard, retread joins the armed forces to be a Mover anyhow?

I agree mover and postie could definately be contractorised to some extent.

Danny_Dravot said:
You'll be telling me next that you can contract out tank transporting! :D

P-T

postman_twit said:
Danny_Dravot said:

P-T

nah...it'll never catch on!!!

Danny_Dravot said:
postman_twit said:
Danny_Dravot said:

P-T

nah...it'll never catch on!!!
To tell you the truth, there has been talk of contracting out the counter service in Germany for years. If there was money in it for the contractor they would already have done it. That aside, the workers at BFPO London are virtually all civvy already. The rest of the PC Squadrons are all operational and therefore "fire proof".

Am standing by to be corrected.

P-T

i would argue that a postie / mover that's working at KAF / COB etc could be contracted

Danny_Dravot said:
i would argue that a postie / mover that's working at KAF / COB etc could be contracted
I could argue that every service person who works there could be contracted out. But I would be wrong. :?

P-T

postman_twit said:
Danny_Dravot said:
I could argue that every service person who works there could be contracted out. But I would be wrong. :?

P-T
CONDO really, really costs - it's only going to be done when it is impractical within the mil structure - i.e. Synergy / Paradigm (as part of a much larger PFI contract). Would you take a job as a civvy out in theatre? (Congrats to the EFI and ECHOS people who do, though.) Hazard pay and employers' insurance costs are hideous on their own, before the military/industrial complex start screwing HMG.

But on the (RAF) movers side - thanks to the Cpl who explained to us mere mortals, last week, a large end-of-op-tour group (not me - short visit) at BZN that they were a little busy that evening so there would be an hour's wait for the luggage.

Hint for any (RAF) mover officers or seniors (or even RLC with influence over the beast) lurking: more flights than normal on the programme? You might just need more than the normal reasonable minimum of duty bods to turn up.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ciggie The NAAFI Bar 121
M The NAAFI Bar 69
dingerr The NAAFI Bar 248