i-Grenade anyone?

360 camera 'grenade', coming to a cellar near you soon. Possibly.

Linky

The ball can be fired from a grenade launcher - or thrown into a room - giving troops vital information of who - or what - is on the ground or around the corner.
Useful if it makes it to general issue I would have thought.

PE4rocks said:

Linky

The ball can be fired from a grenade launcher - or thrown into a room - giving troops vital information of who - or what - is on the ground or around the corner.
A great idea and even better if it works well in practice.

That said, in these days of fiscal cuts, tighter budgets and credit crunch I can't see it getting any further than SF use. I mean can you imagine the problems the CQMS is going to have with the idea.... "It's like a grenade that doesn't go bang? It costs how much? And you want me to issue it to you? So you can just throw it away?" :D

smudge67 said:
Done sometime last week :)
Bollox, my search mojo has failed.

Nice, invention.

smudge67 said:
Done sometime last week :)
Did anyone suggest its use within female ablusions back then?

Plant-Pilot said:
PE4rocks said:

Linky

A great idea and even better if it works well in practice.

That said, in these days of fiscal cuts, tighter budgets and credit crunch I can't see it getting any further than SF use. I mean can you imagine the problems the CQMS is going to have with the idea.... "It's like a grenade that doesn't go bang? It costs how much? And you want me to issue it to you? So you can just throw it away?" :D
It'll come in a logistics container the size of a house and have 20 regi numbers, by the time you've managed to issue one it'll be 2050. Who's going to sign for it anyway? Jesus perhaps as long as he's got a chit from God.

At first I thought, "Great, finally it's not just the US developing new military technology".

Then I realised they'd just be throwing web-cams through windows.

Ddn't this appear in development as "EYEBALL" about two years ago?

I seem to recall remarking that it would have to be known as the Mk2 Eyeball.

Okay... while the concept is interesting and potentially usefull for law enforcement, I'd like to hear how well it will work in the real world for soldiers. Throwing something that looks like a grenade into a building tends to get the folks inside riled up and they do nasty things like trigger their claymores and fire controlled bursts at the entry points... also.. that troopie who's watching an LCD screen to see what the device is looking at is not covering his assgned sector of fire... which is never a good thing. Now... on the other hand... thumping a 40mm HEDP or tossing a real hand grenade into the same location tends to avoid the unpleasant aspects of entering a defended structure...

Swat types might be useful for .Might be useful when clearing buildings
your not sure are occupied shame to waste grenades on empty rooms.
Probably buy a nice thermobaric rocket for the price of one though.NO building
no problem :D .

Khyros said:
Okay... while the concept is interesting and potentially usefull for law enforcement, I'd like to hear how well it will work in the real world for soldiers. Throwing something that looks like a grenade into a building tends to get the folks inside riled up and they do nasty things like trigger their claymores and fire controlled bursts at the entry points... also.. that troopie who's watching an LCD screen to see what the device is looking at is not covering his assgned sector of fire... which is never a good thing. Now... on the other hand... thumping a 40mm HEDP or tossing a real hand grenade into the same location tends to avoid the unpleasant aspects of entering a defended structure...
In some situations you are of course right.

However, using an iGrenade in less 'hot' situations will save ammo clearing empty rooms, save civilian lives 'clearing' an occupied room that has no hostiles.

I know that if I was in a room and saw an iGrenade land on the floor, I would know I was rumbled, and that it would shortly be followed by a 'not so i' Grenade if I didn't give up.

Khyros said:
Someone else other than the troopie could look through the eye. Section 29c or the errr "Greneyedier". Perhaps this guy could be held in the Plt HQ.

If it causes the Claymores to be fired when people AREN`T in the way, even better.

Problem with throwing REAL grenades in to houses in, for example, down town Basra; the people inside might just be havinga bad day.

One minute some loon comes in and declares Jihad from the kiddies bedroom window, then some Brtish Soldiers destroy the decor and smash the crockery with a mills bomb.

Or they get looked at inquistively with a mk2 eyeball?

The uses for these are quite varied. Hopefully the MoD will buy the design outright, and the patent, then sell them. This would bring the unit cost down, and thus they would be more expendable.

Their use by frontline tps, SF, EOD, SAR (Caving, or after earth quakes) and in various industrial arenas (checking inside pipes for example) could then help the MoD pay for the development costs.