I feel like a Stranger where I live.....From todays Daily Telegraph

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by twothreeuptwothreedown, Jan 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can you quote it please? I'm over my quota (no pun intended) on the DT site.

2. No. Trust me, I've seen Hounslow and that is enough.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Précis - The scary muslims are coming, the village green preservation society has closed down, why don't they make Are You Being Served any more? There's a darkie living next door - I'm off!

• Like Like x 12
  4. Are you Cherie Blair?

• Like Like x 2
  5. No. Just not a proto BNP voter.

6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

No doubt there'll be the usual cries of racism but all she seems to be saying is that, like the Pakistanis in her area, or the Poles or the French, she wants to live in an area that's familiar and amongst her own. The long term result will be ghettoes. We look at the USA with horror for their inner city deprivation and their voluntary racial segregation and let it happen here without comment.

• Like Like x 13
  7. go into internet tools, options and delete cookies. then you can get access again. my work pc ip address comes up as foreign even though I'm sat next to the Thames.

• Like Like x 3
  8. The parts of Britain she is talking about (and across Europe) are bloody miserable places though. I am very open and interested in religions and cultures etc. Lots to learn and take the best from. But most of these cnts are just misereable boneheads who seem to just piss each other off as much as they do me. Like I say, go to most Euro cities and you'll find them there too.

• Like Like x 3
  9. When I were a lad all this were fields.

• Like Like x 5
  10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I'm sure we've all been to places where we feel an alien on the streets of Britain, but where I part company with this slightly whining bird is her closing paragraph...

It’s sad that I am moving not for a positive reason, but to escape something. I wonder whether I’ll tell the truth, if I’m asked. I can’t pretend that I’m worried about local schools, so perhaps I’ll say it’s for the chance of a conversation over the garden fence. But really I no longer need an excuse: mass immigration is making reluctant racists of us all.

It is not racist to live in an area where people share your values and aspirations. It is not racist to be resentful of neighbours with no wish to integrate in a British way of life. It is not racist to be infuriated that religious vigilantes are harassing gays, birds and drinkers on our streets. It is not racist to question the impact of recent immigration on the British way of live.

Until these middle class hand-wringers separate 'immigration' from 'racism' we cannot even have the debate about immigration.

• Like Like x 54
  11. London changes all the time. The area of South London where I live has done the exact reverse of the DT article in roughly the same time frame. 10 years ago my street was rough and run down and now it's all very "Homes and Garden" with award winning gastro pub at the end of the road. As I say London changes all the time - in a funny sort of way I felt their was more community spirit before my patch was gentrified!

12. Comments not allowed about the article in the Telegraph.No surprises there then.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Yep. When I first moved to London Notting Hill and Islington were places where you watched your back after dark.

14. My sis was a bit of a lefty hand-wringer on race a couple of decades ago. until she met some 'real' muslims etc and had to live around them/got on wrong end of them over a work issue a few years back. this christmas over dinner i had trouble stopping her alf garnett like ranting!

• Like Like x 5