I dont hate the Americans but....

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Gas Gas Gas, Oct 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I take a quiet pride that my ggg-grandfather was part of the force that burnt the White House in 1814. :D
  2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

You are justifiably proud sir.
  3. I don't hate Japanese but my great uncle killed a lot of them in Burma.............now what is your point, you goat smoking nincompoop?
  4. 'turd.

I was rather hoping others would join in similar vein.
  5. I do hate the Americans. And the Japanese.
  6. I must say I don't find Americans as irritating as some of the other nationalities I find myself working with, although they can be a little "super keen" at times, especially after lunch, when any sane chap needs to daze out of the nearest window while concentrating on digestion and wondering why he's getting fat.

However, one thing I cannot forgive them is their absolute insistance on receiving tips for the minimum of service. I was once chased out of a restaurant in Hawaii (it was in Honnolulu, but I can't spell that) by an irrate member of the waiting staff because I had only left a 10% tip and I was loathe to do that as the service was pretty second rate. What's worse, is that this "tip expectation" is now crossing the atlantic and it won't be long until I've having to tip in Wimpey; fortunately there's always Weathersoons - £6.75 for two meals? And look at the choice? Can't say fairer than that.
  7. I have stars and stripes soles on my Loakes and I dance in dog toffee
  8. London's full of Americans at the moment. Rich ones, I suspect, because of the bad exchange rate. Wherever you go in central London you're apt to hear a sort of low-level, background, nasal, attention-seeking whine. The men are more stoical but the women - good, solid, white, middle-class stock - seem to spend all their time complaining. I don’t mind it particularly and generally like and admire America and Americans, but perhaps they should try to integrate a little more? Or at least keep their voices down. And stop moaning. It's awesome.
  9. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Major general Ross, Commandant Royal Marines in the mid 90's also took a more overt pride in the fact that his great gg whatever, Captain Ross, was in command of the landing party that did it and he was happy to share this fact with the USMC. A greta after dinner speaker.
  10. Some years ago I was dining in a hotel restaurant in Mayfair with my wife for her birthday. It was a tad spoilt by the rich American lady on a near by table mouthing off about how having a Queen was a ridiculous thing. Given that her husband was all of three feet away and the restaurant was almost empty/silent, her loud comment was obviously meant for general consumption. No doubt her husband was "world famous" in Smallmind, Kansas (or where ever).
  11. I'm not advocating it, of course, but whenever a London bomb goes off (Irish, Muslim, whatever) Yank patriots and staunch supporters of the War on Terror rush to cancel their London holidays. It's awesome.
  12. Bloody septics. I'm sure that if anyone here was in Washington D.C and gobbed off about good old George Dubya then we would swiftly gain the attentions of some very serious men with sunglasses.
  13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I spent a few weeks in Madrid once and found a lovely little Tapas bar near where I was staying. Despite visiting every evening for a couple of weeks, I was puzzled by getting the cold shoulder from the locals. When I finally did break the ice someone explained. "We thought you were a football hooligan".

Same with the Septics. Its the loud, ignorant minority that cattle it for the OK ones.

That said, I still delight in offering them directions when asked.

"The Tower of London? Yes. Its just a short walk. Carry straight on down that road until you come to Maida Vale tube station. Turn left and after about a mile ask for Ladbroke Grove. You cant miss the Tower"

Do I look like tourist frocking information?
  14. It was Yank funding through Noraid that allowed so many "Irish" bombs to go off in London in the first place.
  15. I dont hate the Americans but I do hate the French