I didn't think it was going to do that...

Conservation of momentum. The explosion 'pushes' out in all directions equally (since the total momentum change must be zero). Explosive force upwards pushes up on all parts of the helmet equally, hence in theory it should fly straight upwards.

Of course, if your tin lid is not flat on the ground (one edge balanced on a stone etc.) high pressure gas can escape from one edge, the force is not evenly applied and it goes off at an angle.

That's the physics side anyway, Dingerr might have a better ATO version.
The centre button separated from the helmet and twatted someone, killing them.

You can apply all the physics and chemistry to explosives that you like, but the only important thing anyone needs to remember is that they’re a right bastard.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I joined up with a lad who we called “Timmy” in account of him looking like the disabled kid from South Park.

Anyway to cut a long story short, he ended up getting thrown out of the mob for “losing” a load of 4.5 shells.

He was doing a set of mag rounds one day and found that his books didn’t tally with what was in the mag. There were 10 rds too many.

Must’ve just been an accounting error thought Timmy.

Easily rectified by discretely throwing the 10 extra rds over the side when no one is looking. Saves on paperwork and means no one will notice his poor accounting skills.

Except it turned out that the extra 10 rds had just been temporarily moved there from a different magazine.

So now he was 10 rds short.

Stupid cunt.

Niamac

GCM
You can apply all the physics and chemistry to explosives that you like, but the only important thing anyone needs to remember is that they’re a right bastard.
And, like bullets, remarkably quick

I joined up with a lad who we called “Timmy” in account of him looking like the disabled kid from South Park.
The battleback paddling exped to Bavaria is called “Timmy’s Paddle”, for obvious reasons.

I haven’t a fücking clue why the climbing exped to Spain is called “spider pig”.

The battleback paddling exped to Bavaria is called “Timmy’s Paddle”, for obvious reasons.

I haven’t a fücking clue why the climbing exped to Spain is called “spider pig”.
Cos they let the females have a go?
exercise-fat-1234-225x300.jpg

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
When small I decided that the fiddly permanent magnet that I had was not impressive enough and so I decided to create an electromagnet. After looking the construction of said electromagnet up in the family encyclopedia I constructed mine from a single strand of insulated electric flex wrapped many times around a Meccano axle rod. When plugged into the mains this gave a very satisfying if unexpected flash and my old man thundering up the stairs to find out what the hell had happened.

I subsequently became an Electrical Engineer.

More Volts Igor! More volts!!!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Anyway to cut a long story short, he ended up getting thrown out of the mob for “losing” a load of 4.5 shells.

He was doing a set of mag rounds one day and found that his books didn’t tally with what was in the mag. There were 10 rds too many.

Must’ve just been an accounting error thought Timmy.

Easily rectified by discretely throwing the 10 extra rds over the side when no one is looking. Saves on paperwork and means no one will notice his poor accounting skills.

Except it turned out that the extra 10 rds had just been temporarily moved there from a different magazine.

So now he was 10 rds short.

Stupid ****.
Absolutely, he was stupid for owning up :D. He should have just said that his magazine was all korect and no idea about "extra" rounds. :twisted:

The tech was Sgt Al H*****K, I was his colleague.

The operator was a Spec OP who was also a penis of biblical proportions and tried to pin the blame on Al by stating that he had ordered him to clean the pistol.

If I remember correctly the hilltop site was Camlough.

That's the badger. 1990? 91?

When small I decided that the fiddly permanent magnet that I had was not impressive enough and so I decided to create an electromagnet. After looking the construction of said electromagnet up in the family encyclopedia I constructed mine from a single strand of insulated electric flex wrapped many times around a Meccano axle rod. When plugged into the mains this gave a very satisfying if unexpected flash and my old man thundering up the stairs to find out what the hell had happened.

I subsequently became an Electrical Engineer.
... and if you didn't change your approach to safety, you subsequently became SAP during commissioning of an energy from waste plant in Lincolnshire who i fired for telling the commissioners to bolt crop the padlocks because you "can't be arsed writing a permit out, just be careful".

It was one of those tales that really didn't need much exaggeration.... buggered if i can remember Shooty McND Face's name though.
I can't even remember what he looked like never mind his name.
However, his replacement on that site was equally famous for using a flash enabled camera, at night, to take an action photo of a landing Lynx helicopter whose pilots were wearing NVGs.

I remember his name!

windswept398

Old-Salt
Old sergeant of mine, cleared a choked up LMG by doing the 'motorbike kickstart' method. We all know how dangerous that is. A burst of 5.56 missed his face by a ballhair.
He acted cool about the whole thing but I bet his shorts needed a good scrub.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Old sergeant of mine, cleared a choked up LMG by doing the 'motorbike kickstart' method. We all know how dangerous that is. A burst of 5.56 missed his face by a ballhair.
He acted cool about the whole thing but I bet his shorts needed a good scrub.
What was it, a ruptured case ?
And you say a SNCO decided to do a hard extraction with the wpn loaded and safety off ?
Was he in contact at the time ?

Weekend stagging on with a mucker over a pile of munitions at a deserted dump by a deserted lake in a deserted IDF training area on the Golan heights. Almost at the end of our conscript service. Boredom, solitude and Emporer Mong reign.
A length of delay fuse connected to a cap, cap inserted into a No. 3 demolition block, igniter attached to the end of the fuse, activated, and the whole caboodle allowed to sink into the shallows.
Nothing happens. Mate and I get bored waiting and eventually we stand up to leave. I start walking off and I glance round to see if he's following. Behind him, in silence, I suddenly see a vertical column of water and smallish basalt rocks about 2-3 stories high. Astounded, I barely manage to shout "Run!" as water and stones begin to fall around him.
We were extremely lucky to get away with it and without him being injured.

Last edited:

Latest Threads