I didn't think it was going to do that...

HE117

LE
Stupid things I/"my mate" have done with ammuniton and explosives....!

As pointed out in another thread, ammuniton and explosives seem to have a high Emperor Mong factor, and that folk seem to be drawn to doing things with them that perhaps could have been thought out more...

So no names no pack drill... lets have some of the Bangstuff associated incidents we have witnessed or heard of.. Naafi rules apply...

Just to start the ball rolling, a couple from my past (not me honest...)

True dit that was included in a safety film.. Some bright spark fitted a BATSIM (HE + magnesium filling) into the venturi of a Wombat and wired it into the firing circuit.. Wombat ended up looking like the cheesy string man and the perp got a backfull of frag and total deafness for his efforts!

Close protection bloke with stun grenade in top pocket of COP vest did not notice that the pin was missing and the stitching of the pocket was fraying.. The inevitable happened whilst the Bde Cdr was being loaded into his waggon. Brig ended up under the other CP bloke and asked in a quiet voice "Is there a problem...?"

Come on then...?

WARNING - children do not try this at home..

Oh OK then. Early '80's in NI. GOC playing gowf at the Malone Club. CP team are playing with him (fnarr fnarr!). ADC in armoured Granada sitting in the car - bored. So bored he started playing with things in the car - including the Defensive Aid stuff. Cue horns, smoke grenades and a highly irate 3* swearing as only really posh Jocks can :).

A mate of mine in the mid-70's was posted to a Pet Platoon in Devizes. On ex we decided to burn a load of rubbish with the assistance of gash AVGAS. My mate poured the AVGAS onto the pile and then lit it - albeit remotely from what was supposed to be a safe distance. Fcuk me did AVGAS evaporate quickly! The resultant explosion and fireball soon taught my mate how powerful FAE mixtures can be.

Do they still publish the Half Yearly Summary?

Light the Blue Touch Paper and retire,always been my philosophy and so far so good.

HE117

LE
In contact in Sangin, ran up to the roof but all sangers manned so as I moved to some cover behind some sandbags I saw the flash and dust of a firing point with nobody engaging, guesstimated at about 450-500 behind compound wall.
Turned to signal to one of the blokes on the HMG and spied an AT4 lying by the wall.
Been itching to have a go with one so set it up only to discover the pop up sight was damaged, seen that the firer was still not being engaged so gave my best guess at range, accounting for distance and drop of the missile and BANG!!!

Obliterated a market stall about 100m in front of me.

Not seen that since DLSA became PATO...
Pity.

Some good techncial stuff in it and how else can you find out that some Cav Woopert set fire to his mates Triumph Spitfire soft-top in front of the Officers Mess in Bulford using the well known Schermuly fired over open sights technique?

Pity.

Some good techncial stuff in it and how else can you find out that some Cav Woopert set fire to his mates Triumph Spitfire soft-top in front of the Officers Mess in Bulford using the well known Schermuly fired over open sights technique?
RIP brave Spitfire - stand easy, you've done your bit - condolences to the family etc :wink:

[hope it wasn't an early one!]

Fuel- rather than bomb-related:

AVTUR doesn't burn, according to an Air Tech. Spilled AVTUR on warm concrete vaporises nicely, and WILL burn readily, especially when there's a Scout parked in the middle of the puddle.

HE117

LE
In contact in Sangin, ran up to the roof but all sangers manned so as I moved to some cover behind some sandbags I saw the flash and dust of a firing point with nobody engaging, guesstimated at about 450-500 behind compound wall.
Turned to signal to one of the blokes on the HMG and spied an AT4 lying by the wall.
Been itching to have a go with one so set it up only to discover the pop up sight was damaged, seen that the firer was still not being engaged so gave my best guess at range, accounting for distance and drop of the missile and BANG!!!

Obliterated a market stall about 100m in front of me.
Ah yes... AT4s... Now is anyone going to relate the story of the Ops Room wall..?
Edited to add.. no, sorry it was a 66 not an AT4...

Last edited:
Would that be with the proper 84mm CG in NI with the "Dummy" ammunition and the crew training when the reasons the British Army calls inert ammuntion Drill ammuntion and Practice Ammuntion Practice? That one where the Dummy projectile fcuked of through the buildings frightening all the Booties lying on their bunks. That one?

Last edited:
Not pyro as such...but I remember a W02 getting a shock when he chucked a couple of gash bags in a fire only to discover a couple of half empty Gaz tins in one of them.

I heard the bang about 400 metres away...

:)

Rodney2q

Someone on their commander's course at Lulworth Cove thought it would be a laugh to lase the warship setting out from the nearby RN base. Unfortunately the ship was deploying for real and promptly set off chaff etc.

HE117

LE
Would that be with the proper 84mm CG in NI with the "Dummy" ammunition and the crew training when the reasons the British Army calls inert ammuntion Training ammuntion and Practice Ammuntion Practice? That one where the Dummy projectile fcuked of through the buildings frightening all the Booties lying on their bunks. That one?
nooo.. This happened in Afg..

I remember the 84 TPTP incident in BallyK though .. side of the Nissan opened up like a tin of dogfood..

Charles_1

Old-Salt
My father told me of an instructor who killed himself demonstrating the trajectory of a grenade by lying face down, placing one in each hand at an arm's reach away, and remaining prone.

Apparently, one swivelled towards him as he did it and part of the grenade embedded itself in his head.

Must have been sometime between 1970 and 1990, if, of course, it was true.

Not me (of course, I'll deny it ever happened) Idle hands do the devils work etc.... Saltau training area almost endex load of simfire cartridges from the tanks and the smoke generators.getting fired off..... does the smoke thingy fit into the 434 exhaust extension? lets try , brill, dig hole ,wire up said simfix flash/ bang and wire up the smoke thingy all stand back plan is to set off smokey thing then shoot it in the air "to see how high it goes"
fire up the smoke gen, then fire the simfix smoke goes off but no bang. the pipe is sitting there smoking away we don't realise that it is gettig very hot inside that tube, the cartridge cooks off and there is an almighty bang and away goes the smoke generator leaving behing a trail of orange smoke behind it ..We are all giggling like schoolgirls, when someone says the smoke has gone out. now there is a lump of hot metal weighing a couple of pounds , many hundreds of feet above us and by now gravity must be in charge we scatter like rats, under the arrv spades into any vehicle you could hear it incoming like a shell . landed right where 10 of us had been standing... "fucking brilliant , lets do it again" everyone walks away , "lets not says I! "

I'm saying nothing whilst still serving.

Singapore Air Show, sometime in the early 1990s and the CIS stand, inter alia, was displaying a shoulder-launched AT weapon of some description (at this distance in time I can't for the life of me remember which!).
A visitor to the stand picked up the weapon, pointed it down the exhibition hall and pulled the trigger...
WHHHHHOOOOOSSSSSHHHH.
By great good fortune, the warhead didn't hit anybody or anything, exited through the end wall, went through into another building and went bang there.
There was a bit of a panic and, following a number of beverage-less interviews, CIS had to rewrite their display-stand procedures.
There's a distinct possibility that Cuddles was there, and may remember the incident.

The_Duke

LE
There's a distinct possibility that Cuddles was there, and may remember the incident.
If he wasn't, he'll just make it up and pretend anyway, like he usually does.

There was the stunning display of good judgement by one young Tom in 2003 who decided that the correct procedure when finding some kind of fuse mechanism when searching a car was to hold onto it while pulling the pin. After all, it was only going to make a bit of a bang, couldn't do any harm, could it?

Latest Threads