I didn’t listen at Chilwell

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Duke_of_Edinburgh, Nov 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They probably told me at Chilwell but apart from the Trick Cyclist Nurse almost breaking down during my one-on-one psychological debrief (she was telling me about what a rough time she’d had at Shibetha :roll: ), I wasn’t paying much attention.

Are we liable to be called out 1 year in 3 or has this changed to 1 in 5? Though Mrs DofE and I still laugh when we remember the nice surprise the brown envelope made, I'm not to keen on a reshow.

Now some clever Arrser will know the answer and can they point me to the relevant document.

Cheers

DofE

2. jmj

jmj Old-Salt

From Sabre's website:

Link here (.pdf)

So that's an "intention" rather than a rule i guess.

3. Legally - 1 in 3
    "Intention" - 1 in 5

Although whether or not the intention will be achieved remains to be seen.

4. NB Just to clarify for those who don't know: the legal limit is a total of one year in every three - not one mobilisation every three years.

So if you are called up for, say, four months (like the RMR mentioned in the "Six Months Too Long" thread) you are still liable to be mobilised for the remaining eight until the end of the three-year period, when the clock gets reset to 12 months.

Although that suggests a high frequency of mobilisation, set against that rule are:

(i) the "intention" to call people up compulsorily for no more than 12 months in every 5 years;
    (ii) the current policy that mobilisations should have the consent of both the person being call up and their employer;
    (iii) the fact that most mobilsations are now for a total of about 10 months, which does not leave enough "change" for a second mobilisation in the three-year period.

5. msr

msr LE

You've got to wonder why no-one has spotted the implied mutual exclusivity between these two?

msr

6. I hear (ISTR from Gen Jackson at the DSC on BBC Parliament) the intention is to move from a 6 month tour every 3 years to a 1 year tour every 5 years.

Yes, this is an increase.....

7. That would require a change in the law, as a one-year tour would usually need at least a month's beat-up training and would generate entitlement to a big wodge of post-operational tour leave at the end: a total of (say) 15 or 16 months' mobilisation (given that POTL is included in the period of mobilisation. That's more than the current legal maximum.

Maybe he meant one-year's call-out every five years, echoing what was quoted by jmj above. If so, that's a (notional) reduction when compared with the current usual situation (10 months' call-out every three years).

8. Sorry, what was the question again? I wasnt paying much attention. :roll:

9. Not necessarily, unless they have changed the rules the maximum paid leave on return (Sum of POTL and accumulated leave) was 40 days for TA personnel thus after about 8 months you hit the limit. Not sure how that was justified but I know of several who hit the limit.

Not that that changes the thrust of your argument which is, of course, correct.

10. msr

msr LE

40 days is merely that maximum that can be given at any one time.

msr

11. I'm not sure what your point is, surely by definition the leave you get at demob has to be taken at one time? Or have I missed out on some admin trick?

12. I don't think so. As long as pre, mid and post tour leave add up to the correct entitlement, I don't think there's a drama.

I don't have the relative docs in front of me though.