I did not know this about the USS Arizona memorial in Hawaii

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Apr 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This was forwarded to me today and in spite of my several visits to the memorial I was unaware of this. Apologies if previously posted.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Sorry mate, connection out here is not good enough to watch video, could you give me a quick blast of whats going on?

Thank you.
  3. Those who survived the sinking and have since died have the option of being cremated and having their ashes placed in the ship.
  4. Thank you both. I think its a great idea, my Great Grandfather was a RAF Gunner through world war 2 and all he would talk about in his final years was his time in the mil and the war. I think something like this would have meant a lot to him.
  5. Thanks for posting this brings a tear to my eye very moving.
  6. You learn some thing new every day thank you JJH hope you are well on the road to recovery now.
  7. I am and appreciate the kind wishes.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JJH-
    Thanks for posting that. A very moving video.
  9. I visited the memorial in 2005 and they did explain that this practice happened on a regular basis in the pre-visit film that you watch at the visitor centre cinema prior to getting on the boat.

However, nothing was explained about how this was actually achieved and I had the notion of a traditional non-cremated Burial at Sea (in the turret) type of committal after hours.

Thanks for clearing up a minor mystery for me.
  10. My brother is a serving member of the Royal Navy and he mentioned that the ship he was serving upon on one occasion interred ashes over the general position of a wreck in the Atlantic at the request of the deceased and his family.

Seems the old boy never forgot the mates he lost and wanted to be with them.

According to our kid they all got an extra can of beer for taking part in the ceremony "for" and I quote "Hoying me laddo over the side"

Sad, poignant and understandable.
  11. Both daughters (no you can't) went to on the USS Arizona tour and mentioned that service that is provided to past serving crew of the USS Arizona. I was quite surprised when my youngest daughter, who is the most anti-military person I know, remarked how it was a fantastic tour and especially the bit about the cremation service as detailed by JJ's OT.
  12. That day never left them. Hope they rest in peace now.
  13. I did a round the world trip on Shackair in 1968 we went round westward, and one of our stops was Hawaii. I took the chance to visit the memorial then, and I am glad I did. This is rather a moving wee story.