I can't tell you - I signed the OSA!

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Digger_Jones, Jul 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all!
    I'm here to beg a little help on behalf of a friend & would appreciate any ideas ...

My friend would love to find out more about her late father's role in WWII. When she asked him about it many years ago, he replied: 'I can't tell you what I did, I signed the Official Secrets Act'. She reckons he wasn't military (but isn't 100% sure) as his eyesight wouldn't have been good enough to pass the physical. She describes him as 'a math genius' who loved puzzles - but he's not on the list of people who worked at Bletchley Park.

I know it's a long shot, so I'm not hopeful of any positive replies, but if anyone has any suggestions of where to look or who to ask, I'd be very grateful! In case it helps: he was:

Ronald James Willett
    Born: September 8 / 9th 1920 or 1926 in London

Thanks!

2. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

There were all sorts of civilian roles in support of the armed forces in WW2 - the varying operational research departments being an example. Similarly, Bletchley Park was was not the only code breaking establishment - there was the Far East Combined Bureau (FECB) set up to break Japanese codes.

Far East Combined Bureau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a starting point, I'd contact the RAF Museum at Hendon, the National Maritime Museum and the Imperial War Museum and ask their librarians/archivists for any pointers they might have. The National Archives at Kew is also worth a try.

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 1
  3. Much obliged! I'll pass this back!

4. I read it quickly remembered poor eyesite likes puzzles, read "check the RAF" laughed.

Now ive read it all, its not so funny, good luck with the search

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)