I cant believe this post

From the BBC website: Armistice Day is not only facist and highly nationalistic, it is dangerous in the way it portrays war.

"Wear your poppy with pride" Ducle et decorum est pro partria mori

There is nothing sweet and glorious in dying for one's country. Portraying our "old boys" as heros does not only distort the image of war, it does incredibly unjustice to those who fought in it.

WW1 was a terrrible mistake - let's not boost our self confidence by reminding ourselves how great we are.

Miriam, London

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=4701&&&edition=1&ttl=20061111160932

I know its a free country etc etc, but since when is any act of rememberance about glorifying war? For me its a time to reflect on all those who didnt make it back. :cry:

Remembrance its not about glorifying war Its about respecting the people who died so people have the chance to express there opinion.

My reply:

I wonder if Miriam actually understands the meaning of the word Facism when she alleges that Armistice day is Facist and Nationalistic!

Perhaps the fact that she doesnt know what the word means is the greatest salute to the sacrifice that many of those men made? I dont think for one second that observing an act of remeberance glorifies war - if anything it alerts the public to the price repeatedly paid in their name.

Hero's ? Too bloody right - for our Tomorrows they gave their Today

There is nothing sweet and glorious in dying for one's country. Portraying our "old boys" as heros does not only distort the image of war, it does incredible unjustice to those who fought in it.

WW1 was a terrrible mistake - let's not boost our self confidence by reminding ourselves how great we are.

Miriam, London

Those who fought in it? What like our "old boys" you mean?

If people are this ignorant then they obviously need educating about the matter (I actually mean education, not smacking in the face).

Just smile and ignore her. We fought 2 World Wars so that idiots like Miriam could breathe oxygen, spout nonsense like that and not end up in a gas chamber. Thankfully she is a very small minority.

Very disturbing - I remarked to Mrs Mukhabarat this morning as to what the reason was for putting the Festival of Remembrance on at 2145z with it's finish at 2315z.

We both thought it a stupid time given that many Veterans who would attend their own local Service would need to get up early, or those who travel to the Cenotaph even earlier. Any youngsters who might wish to see it could also be prevented by nature of its finish.

I immediately thought it was to make way for the mindless million's 'Casualty' and the stupid Lottery show - but now I'm not so sure.

Anyone at the tea bar by Westminster Abbey tomorrow look for the ARRSE Socks in company with an ex-scaley around 0930z. Be pleased to meet. [You can buy your own brew though]!

Fred_Cat said:
Just smile and ignore her. We fought 2 World Wars so that idiots like Miriam could breathe oxygen, spout nonsense like that and not end up in a gas chamber. Thankfully she is a very small minority.
Well said Fred

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.

[Taken from Seigfried Sassoon's 'Suicide in the Trenches' and it's as relevant now as it was when written]

Barrack Room Lawyer, I'll raise you this...

Remembrance farce?

ONCE again, we approach the time of year when military propaganda becomes acceptable - to some.

Should we not question the annual farce that is Remembrance Sunday and do away with it forever? We believe that it is entirely wrong to deliberately engage in violence with the intention of killing people, and yet we glorify such wrong-doing on Remembrance Sunday. Those who were killed set out deliberately to kill their fellow men and only received their just desserts.

Whereas there might have been some justification for it to remember those who were deceived into submitting the slaughter of the First World War, there is no justification for remembering those who have been killed pursuing the illegal, and therefore murderous, war-mongering currently being carried out in Iraq and Afghanistan. That such deaths are now included in the day confirms Remembrance Sunday is an exercise in military propaganda.
http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/letters/display.var.1015905.0.remembrance_farce.php

I may be gone some time. My mind is currently boggling.

I choose not to mark Armistice Day because it does nothing to help prevent wars in the future, whilst contributing to increased divides in society.
Whether veterans wanted it or not, the poppy, and the silence have become a symbol of western values and christian military might - which is inappropriate to celebrate in Britain today.
Moreoever, I object to being instructed by my employer to mark the passing of soldiers, where I might prefer to honour those dead from famine, torture or overwork.

Katq, Birmingham
Words fail me, I sat for 5 minutes trying to think of something else to say, but I honestly can't speechless. :x

Awol said:
Barrack Room Lawyer, I'll raise you this...

Remembrance farce?

ONCE again, we approach the time of year when military propaganda becomes acceptable - to some.

Should we not question the annual farce that is Remembrance Sunday and do away with it forever? We believe that it is entirely wrong to deliberately engage in violence with the intention of killing people, and yet we glorify such wrong-doing on Remembrance Sunday. Those who were killed set out deliberately to kill their fellow men and only received their just desserts.

Whereas there might have been some justification for it to remember those who were deceived into submitting the slaughter of the First World War, there is no justification for remembering those who have been killed pursuing the illegal, and therefore murderous, war-mongering currently being carried out in Iraq and Afghanistan. That such deaths are now included in the day confirms Remembrance Sunday is an exercise in military propaganda.
http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/letters/display.var.1015905.0.remembrance_farce.php

I may be gone some time. My mind is currently boggling.
Speechless!! What are these people like?!
Wrong to deliberately engage in violence? Right. So all Troops to the barracks then. We will sit idly by and allow the path of terrorism and the likes of the Nazis take over. No, We insist, G Evans of Chippenham. We'll just sit here and let you pacify your way out of destruction.

Awol, I can only echo your comment. I think I need to lie down :x

Dammit!

As has been said more eloquentley elsewhere, it is the sacrifice these people made that allows these idiots to be able to voice their opinion in the first place.

Those sacrefices allow me to hold my views today even if they are in contrast to that of the military, they still gave their lives to allow the freedoms we have today and should be rembered ww1, ww2 or todays conflicts, they go without question, an fall in our name, regardless of creed or religion.

They must be rembered