I cant believe this post

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Barrack Room Lawyer, Nov 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the BBC website: Armistice Day is not only facist and highly nationalistic, it is dangerous in the way it portrays war.

"Wear your poppy with pride" Ducle et decorum est pro partria mori

There is nothing sweet and glorious in dying for one's country. Portraying our "old boys" as heros does not only distort the image of war, it does incredibly unjustice to those who fought in it.

WW1 was a terrrible mistake - let's not boost our self confidence by reminding ourselves how great we are.

Miriam, London

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=4701&&&edition=1&ttl=20061111160932

I know its a free country etc etc, but since when is any act of rememberance about glorifying war? For me its a time to reflect on all those who didnt make it back. :cry:

2. Mere words fail at a time like this...

3. Remembrance its not about glorifying war Its about respecting the people who died so people have the chance to express there opinion.

4. My reply:

I wonder if Miriam actually understands the meaning of the word Facism when she alleges that Armistice day is Facist and Nationalistic!

Perhaps the fact that she doesnt know what the word means is the greatest salute to the sacrifice that many of those men made? I dont think for one second that observing an act of remeberance glorifies war - if anything it alerts the public to the price repeatedly paid in their name.

Hero's ? Too bloody right - for our Tomorrows they gave their Today

5. Those who fought in it? What like our "old boys" you mean?

If people are this ignorant then they obviously need educating about the matter (I actually mean education, not smacking in the face).

6. Not even one little clip round the back of the head - just to speed up the educational process?

7. There are some sick people in this country and they should all be hung as traitors!!

8. Just smile and ignore her. We fought 2 World Wars so that idiots like Miriam could breathe oxygen, spout nonsense like that and not end up in a gas chamber. Thankfully she is a very small minority.

9. Very disturbing - I remarked to Mrs Mukhabarat this morning as to what the reason was for putting the Festival of Remembrance on at 2145z with it's finish at 2315z.

We both thought it a stupid time given that many Veterans who would attend their own local Service would need to get up early, or those who travel to the Cenotaph even earlier. Any youngsters who might wish to see it could also be prevented by nature of its finish.

I immediately thought it was to make way for the mindless million's 'Casualty' and the stupid Lottery show - but now I'm not so sure.

Anyone at the tea bar by Westminster Abbey tomorrow look for the ARRSE Socks in company with an ex-scaley around 0930z. Be pleased to meet. [You can buy your own brew though]!

10. If Miriam comes from the background suggested by her name, her National forces have too many "technical" artillery misfire problems!

11. Well said Fred

12. Unbelievable

13. You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

[Taken from Seigfried Sassoon's 'Suicide in the Trenches' and it's as relevant now as it was when written]

14. Barrack Room Lawyer, I'll raise you this...

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/letters/display.var.1015905.0.remembrance_farce.php

I may be gone some time. My mind is currently boggling.