I bought this recently

ugly

LE
Sight unseen but at least there were some decent pics;
Milsurp After Hours
Its at my local dealers now, he has the sort of stock that makes grown men go weak at the knees.
Looking forward to my variation! :p

ugly

LE
Why thank you, it will be used!

ugly

LE
Sorry for the link but photobucket is down at the moment! I will be involved in a couple of special sporting rifle events at Bisley this year selected loonies will receive invites!

On a serious note, as I live not far from Bisley. How do I get a rifle licence etc? Do I need to join a club 1st, then apply? I have a very expensive air-rifle, but it's not the same. I'd look a bit stupid on the point with my precharge also!

ugly

LE
Depends if you want to shoot target, sporting, sporting target, small bore, centrefire. If a bit of stalking floats your boat then I work for a professional stalker!
I'm supposed to be out in the morning but its a client free day and I have a heavily pregnant springer bitch that will cause no end of problems if I leave her at home.

ugly said:
If a bit of stalking floats your boat then I work for a professional stalker!
Leaving yourself open for allsorts of comments aren`t you........??

ugly

LE
Nothing I wont have heard before. I also used to be a club secretary.

ugly said:
Nothing I wont have heard before. I also used to be a club secretary.
May be true, but it's still a bit harsh about the wife. :lol:

How long for the variation these days? Three months?
Our lot stretch things out as long as possible, and then prosecute if your FAC runs out before they get round to renewing ... bless them! 8O
At least they can then prove they have firearms crime, and jump around a bit.
Shame about all the drug-dealers, of course: still, they do get some of them when they have a few free minutes. :wink:

deleted

ugly

LE
Everything is reputed to take 6-12 weeks at the mo, my last renewal was 6 months as they wanted me to lose the 500 12 bore slugs. I lost them and a year later got a free variation to have them back again, that took 2 weeks. I also had land cleared for boar. I am considering whether to go for an RFD this time as I need 3 rifles for client use and am fed up of using mine! Its the security upgrade issues that bother me!
I'm asking for another 6.5, a 22-250, a .243 and possibly a 9mm Mannlicher, be another classic though!
Oh and moderators for the centrefire rifles.
That will be interesting, I have thought about this as I often get asked to make ammo for stalkers so I have to do it with them on the premises at the moment. I need a bigger house!

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
smudge67 said:
On a serious note, as I live not far from Bisley. How do I get a rifle licence etc? Do I need to join a club 1st, then apply? I have a very expensive air-rifle, but it's not the same. I'd look a bit stupid on the point with my precharge also!
Why not get someone to show you around Bisley and explain what is available, or:
visit Bisley on an Open Day

ugly

LE
Bisley open days are expensive but I usually help on the HBSA/LERA stand and will help you out.

That's a crackin gun Uggs...

Jammy Barsteward...

I have always fancied a slim Swede! Nice action and very flat shooting.

Also rated as a classic rather than a veteren by the HBSA, so you are not competing against No4s. There was a guy in my club with a 6.5 Swede fitted with the Sodern target sight - very pretty.

I have just got my 8mm Lebel working! Despite the fact it has a slight ring at the muzzle, it seems to be behaving quite well. It has taken some effort to get it back into shooting trim from it's past life in the sandy place...! The local plod were quite accomodating in putting it on my ticket. Finding cases took some doing, but managed to find some NDFS ones at the Trafalgar and got some more Bertram cases from Kranks. It is the same calibere as the 7.92 Mauser so bullets were no problem. Kranks also had some surplus 8mm ball, but I have pulled the bullets and dropped the charge as these were loaded for the Hotchkiss (and came in the long strippy things...)

I chose to reblue the barrel as the Jinglies had taken wire wool to it, however it has come up very nicely. I will try to remember to post some pics.

Are you plotting to go to the Imperial historical weekend?

I'm currently trying to get a 1886 Kropatschek up and running. I have finally managed to source some bullets in the right calibre (.329"), because the mauser diameter bullets were not exactly making round holes... I will be loading it with a full case of black powder compressed, until the black runs out (it's getting difficult to find), and I will then work up a Nitro load. All the loads that I have found so far for it are based on the undersized mauser bullet, so I will have to be careful with the correct diameter (they are jacketed soft point, by the way). I'm thinking something of the order of 22-28 grains of N110 running at around 1750 fps should be pretty safe.

ugly

LE
HE117, I havent done the classic weekend much, it all depends upon when it falls as summer weekends mean working for my wife on her trade stand.
I will make the effort to shoot it at Running deer sometime this year though not sure if Trafalgar is a free weekend as it is in the first month of the game season and I may have 3 shoots to run next season.

stoatman said:
I'm currently trying to get a 1886 Kropatschek up and running. I have finally managed to source some bullets in the right calibre (.329"), because the mauser diameter bullets were not exactly making round holes... I will be loading it with a full case of black powder compressed, until the black runs out (it's getting difficult to find), and I will then work up a Nitro load. All the loads that I have found so far for it are based on the undersized mauser bullet, so I will have to be careful with the correct diameter (they are jacketed soft point, by the way). I'm thinking something of the order of 22-28 grains of N110 running at around 1750 fps should be pretty safe.
Seems a bit low Stoat...

Also 110 a bit fast IMHO...

I started at 39 grains of N140, and I think I will settle on around 42gn - I need to check the MV and the grouping at 200...