I bought myself a toy today...

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by putteesinmyhands, May 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'll be the first to admit it, I'm a big kid. I love playing with toys, but once you pass 30, do you get toys as presents? No! Well, OK, I did get the occasional bit of Lego Technic (the JCB was mega!!!!) for a while after, but that petered out.

Mrs P started buying me tools, instead. Like any technically-minded bloke, I suppose, it's nice to get some weird and wonderful tools. The electronic spirit level kept me amused for about an hour, but I'd never dream of using it. In a word, it's crap. Give me an honest British-made bubble any day. The self-adjusting electric adjustable spanner was also fun to mess about with on Xmas day, but if I actually had to use a spanner, I'd get one that's the right size from one of my many tool rolls (once I found out where Mrs P had used/loaned them last).

So today, I indulged. Having read the thread about the Royal Hospital, I started Googling. One thing led to another and I found myself on the National Army Museum website. It took only a few minutes before I entered the on-line shop.

There it was - a radio controlled amphibious tank! (For the pedants,it's actually got wheels, not tracks, but that's the title on the box).

It drives on land, is powered on water by propellers (screws to the matelots), the wheels flipping up and seating in the body during the transition process. It has four recesses in the top so that you can load it with four cans of beer - never need to leave your sun longer, just steer it back to the kitchen for the wife to replen!) (Actually, there's a design fault - the breech block prevents you putting cans in the two rear recesses, but hey!).

And that's not all! As well as having easily switch off-and-onable lights for use in the dark, it has a remote controlled auto reloading and firing BB gun. The range is quoted as between 20 and 30m. I don't know if this is true as our lounge is only 7m long, but the pellets bounced back to the other end of the room. Except for the ones that hit my son....

Really pleased - the blurb said that batteries weren't included, but they were!

Another bit of entertainment comes from the instructions - the translation from Chinese to English must have been done with an on-line translator. "Once own, nothing can instead" is on the front page. One of the warnings: "Can it stretch into hand wheel so as not to insert wounded, child take carefully, can it arrest in case that wheel injure."

I'm chuffed. Really, really chuffed.

Manufacturer's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOVyZ0Qwt1g
  2. 2 Questions, does the gun work and do they do it on 1:1 scale?
  3. Ah... just read the bit about the BB gun.

Local ducks think they are safe on their island :-D
  4. No this is what you want hours of fun :twisted:
  5. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I did wonder how you were going to make wifey replenish the beers when you were stranded on your sun lounger. future-Mrs Bruno would probably stick the controller up my arrse. A 30m-range BB gun sounds like just the thing for a bit of negotiation...
  6. You let your missus use/loan out your tools? She needs a good talking to (and perhaps a couple of broken fingers).
  7. Those were my first thoughts.

But then I considered the alternative... ;)
  8. Ah, hours of fun with cheap Chinese/Japanese toys.
    My all-time favourite is this one:

Attached Files:

9. Looks like good fun.

I got myself one of these little tinkers a couple of weeks ago. More difficult than it looks but you can get replacement parts by the next day if ordered before 1000.

10. Right. So the tank fetches the beers and the helicopter keeps the flies off the sarnies.

Any other multifunctional toys out there?
  11. Take a look at this!
    quite expensive but imagine
    how fun it would be!

12. Almost as much fun as: