i bet bush inhaled

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by quiller, Feb 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i think he's been on much stronger stuff since then:

NEW YORK (AP) -- Private conversations with George Bush secretly taped by an old friend before he was elected president foreshadow some of his political strategies and appear to reveal that he acknowledged trying marijuana, The New York Times has reported.

The conversations were recorded by Doug Wead, a former aide to George W. Bush's father, beginning in 1998, when Bush was weighing a presidential bid, until just before the Republican National Convention in 2000, the Times reported Saturday.

The tapes show Bush crafting a strategy for navigating the tricky political waters between Christian conservative and secular voters, repeatedly worrying that evangelicals would be angered by a refusal to bash gays and that secular Americans would be turned off by meetings with evangelical leaders.

On one tape, Bush explains that he told one prominent evangelical that he would not "kick gays, because I'm a sinner. How can I differentiate sin?"

In early tapes, Bush dismisses the strength of John McCain for the nomination and expresses concern about rival Steve Forbes. He also praises John Ashcroft as a promising candidate for Supreme Court justice, attorney general or vice president.

Bush also criticizes then-Vice President Al Gore for admitting marijuana use and explains why he would not do the same.

"I wouldn't answer the marijuana questions," he said, according to the Times. "You know why? Because I don't want some little kid doing what I tried."

According to the article, Wead played 12 of the tapes to a Times reporter. He said he recorded them because he viewed Bush as a historic figure. He is the author of a new book on presidential childhoods.

The White House did not deny the authenticity of the tapes.

"The governor was having casual conversations with someone he believed was his friend," White House spokesman Trent Duffy said, referring to Bush.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/02/20/bush.tapes.ap/index.html

2. I suppose this is what disturbes me about polotics in general - Did Bush actually know he was being taped and if not this chap has left himself open to an "invasion of privicy" suit.

All in the name of polotics and MONEY

3. It's the cokey cokey cocaine that puts the glassy sparkle in his eye...

4. Hopefully your friends aren't taping your phone conversations.

5. A peculiarity of American law is the disparity in treatment of surreptitiously recorded phone calls and face-to-face coversations.

The federal Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act has been construed as allowing recording of phone calls with the consent of at least one of the participants.

A minority of American states, however, require the consent of all parties to the call. Thus, you might recall, Linda Tripp had a spot of difficulty over running a tape on Monica Lewinski. Maryland is a member of that minority requiring everyone's consent.

On the other hand, a recorder concealed in a room, picking up conversations, cannot be defended on the theory that the person who planted it "consented" to it. It's a violation of the federal Electronic Communications Privacy Act and the perpetrator could become subject to both civil and criminal liability.

6. I'm not inclined to take this episode at face value.

The G.W. Bush on the tape comes across as a "pretty good guy," albeit "no saint." That endears him to millions who consider themselves to be pretty good guys who are not prospective saints.

Rumors of W's illicit drug use have been rampant for years. The public airing of these tapes gives W a chance to "confess" to a supposedly noble motive for his deceptiveness, his wish to discourage children from becoming potheads.

I suspect that this was a planned exercise in image management. They excel in manipulating public opinion.

7. Also

All just a pre-planned Book deal by Wead.

8. hope Wead makes some money off this book cause the fall out of this is he will never get another interview again.

Regardless of what you may think of Bush this act by Wead was beyond the pale, secretly recording converstations and then exposing them...hell Journos that record or have convos with people claim they have no right to release them for fear of compromising their sources.

This arrse disgusts me :!:

9. Mr. Wead's publisher, Atria, is a division of Simon & Schuster.

Simon & Schuster is owned by Viacom, Inc.

Viacom's CEO, Sumner Redstone, backed Pres. Bush's '04 presidential campaign.

And Atria "forced" Mr. Wead to air these tapes? Over the objection of the President of the United States?

10. That's obviously what we're supposed to think. However, in any matter involving Washington, things are not necessarily what they are made to appear to be.

11. Seen any black helicopters lately? 8O

I think it is more cut and dry...fcukwad talks to potential prez canidate as a friend but thinks just in case I will secretly tape it...friend gets elected and fcukwad has tapes...fcukwad writes book and the book needs promoting fcukwad uses juicy tapes get face time on morning show and voila book sells...so fcukwad hopes!

Fcukwad never gets another story and the book makes some money but he will never be a Tom Clancy. Fcukwad fades away and is not even a blip in history.

Tell you what; you see a conspiracy I see W as having 1) either extreme luck or 2) a foresight that would make Nostradamus blush.

12. so it's all a conspiracy laid out by Viacom CEO Sumner Redstone?

Must be why the publisher wanted the tapes released during the election, they are good for the President.