I am trying to rebuild an Apple Power Mac G4, for giggles and shits to be honest,

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by TamH70, Jul 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. and I need some advice. I can source easily a (reasonably cheap) new mother-board and processor combo, but I am finding it difficult to acquire a new graphics card to go with it, for a decent price. I don't want to pay the Orchard Tax, whereby you get stiffed about five times the actual value of an item as soon as the word "Apple" is written on it.

So the question is, will any decent-condition low-end AGP part by either ATi or Nvidia do the job, or will I have to bite the bullet and spend thirty quid or so on an Apple-branded one?

2. msr

msr LE

There's a reason apple control the hardware platform.

3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

they're cnuts??
  4. msr

msr LE

more that quote (with sense of smug satisfaction) about it just working.
  5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

well it's not bloody working now is it? that why he's having to rebuild the bugger. ;)

as I've said before, apple are the emperors new clothes of computing, for idiots with more money than sense. when you can give me a reasoned and plausible argument as to why having them fit a second dvd burner in any desktop you order off them could possibly cost £80 (their price on their website), I might possibly change my view. not before. and thats before I've even started on itunes...
  6. Try any of the older Nvidia/Ati AGP cards mostly ATI but a quick google should sort you out. they were always a generation behind the PC cards and there a plenty of places to find the drivers.
  7. I will see how it goes when I get it.

Thing is, if I get it going and running fine, will the Apple lovers on Ebay buy it if I get tired of it?

P.S. Thanks for the tips Ark.
  8. It would be easier to cannibalize another G4, apple vid cards are special builds.
    or try here, by our american friends....
    Search Results for video cards at MacSales.com