I am having home made GYROS tonight, so only right to share

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Rod924, Oct 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

the recipe - Prepare 5-6pm evening before

Place following in a bowl

1/2 lemon sqeezed
    Tea spoon of mustard
    5 cloves garlic - minced
    Good slug of olive oil

Mix together and add One pack stir fry pork mixing well

Then cut one white onion in half and the slice and divide and put in bowl and mix. Clingfilm and chuck in fridge.

At 10pm go and lift the film for a sniff *****WARNING**** Not to be done when p1ssed as you will not be able to resist.

Following day, purchase Tzaziki, your mood will be upbeat knowing what delights you have instore for dinner.

Fry GYROS on mid heat for 30 mins till all nice and browned + Chips + Cold beer + Mayo + Tzaziki

IMHO, that is as near as it gets to the real thing in the UK

Well, what was it like?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Nice one, will try some 'drunk cooking' on the weekend, which may include trying to fry a weetabix.
  3. Is there such a thing as The ARRSE Cook Book. If not why not. Could be a best seller.

The mind goes into shock thinking about the MND, Shortfuse, Flashy, etc favorites.
  4. Fcuk me stavros eat your heart out!!! Will definetly give this a bash :lol:
  5. Err, how much oregano and paprika should one add? One has never experienced the joy of gyros....
  6. I feel sorry for you. Gyros is one of the main food groups in Germany.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. And frikadellen - anyone got the recipe for those bad boys?
  8. Google it

9. or go here for more

10. Recipe for Frikadelle:

Find local LIDL, go to refrigerated area at rear of shop, select frikadelle, queue up with 100 chavs buying sh*te, take home and eat cold or warmed through. About £1.50 - £2 for 5.

Return to LIDL for gherkin accompaniment.
  11. 'Ein frikadelle brot mit kase und sempf bitte'.. ahh you never forget :)
  12. LIDL.....the shop for pikeys and squaddies! Their Bratties are the real deal as well. The one in Catterick also sells echtes kartoffelnsalat and curry sauce! Would imagine that the others do as well.

Gyros, Frikadelles, Curry Wursts, Kartoffelnsalat and beer...........oh happy day!

Having read this thread, I fully intend to have a Gyros teller mit Pommes, zatziki and salat and one of those little green chili's and two or three cold Becks tonight!

I'll be getting mine from the local Gyros shop though!
  13. I want to hi-jack this thread and open it up into a broader discussion of where a man can find a decent, authentic, BAOR-style kebab here in Blighty.

My nomination is the Kebab Kid on the New King's Road, Fulham, London, SW6. Honestly, the gyros are just as good (if not slightly better) than the ones you'll find in Das Farterland albeit without the little extras that made the BAOR kebab so speshul.

I have my own tremendous kebab recipe, and after much experimentation as well as a visit to a wizened old Kebab Master atop a mountain, have discovered that marinading for a day or two really is the secret to success. That, and a powerful gas-powered BBQ.

Waitrose Tzatsiki is the best, if a bit expensive.

Wash down with some of that Turkish beer (what's it called... Efes?) and a plastic rum baba from Morrison's. Bliss.

14. is there anywhere in catterick area that you can get gyros? thanks
  15. [​IMG]

Although in all seriousness, I'm glad you brought this back to life - I'll try the recipe this weekend I think.

Also, another tip reference the chips - buy Aldi/Lidl oven chips. When they're just about cooked, finish them off under the grill to crisp them up & remove the oil. Sprinkle with a little paprika. - that way they taste almost exactly the same as you get from a German Snelly (especially if you buy Aldi mayonnaise - or even better, make your own).